Your Favorite HO Scale Manufacturer?

• Total voters

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
spitfire said:
I'm curious about what you mean when you say the 0-6-0, 0-8-0 and 2-6-2 are all the same engine. Do you mean they all have the same motor, or the same chassis with different whell arrangements? What make are they?

We'd love to see some photos too, if you have any. :)

Val

Val...

I think it is Roundhouse (or maybe it's IHC) that made several engines from one common chassis. The 0-6-0, 2-6-0 (not 0-8-0), and 2-6-2 are all six-drivered engines. The manufacturer has added pilot and/or trailing trucks to make up the difference. Otherwise, they are the same thing.

Andrew

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The locomotives that I bought that are all identical are Bachmanns.
The 0-6-0 is Item no. 50614 USRA 0-6-0 & Slope Tender with Smoke Pennsylvania.
The 2-6-0 is Item no. 56514 "HO" 2-6-0 Mogul w/Smoke & Tender (Pennsylvania).
They both are numbered 3233, same red roof on the cab, same identical smokestack, bells and whistles and sand domes and piping and pilots. the drivers are exactly the same except the mogul has more connecting rods. If you take the extra connecting rods off the mogul, they will fit on the switcher. motors and inside of the engines are identical. The 2-6-2 prairie? was also identical even though it was a different railroad (no red cabin top and different road number), but the molding that produced it was obviously the same as the other two. It is packed away and I cannot put my hands on it immediately or I would have included that info also.

Thanks,
GeorgeHO

flare_951

Aug 1, 2005
SB, MN
I have limited experiance but I have only run life-like, I don't really like it but I have no other choice but to vote for it

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
I voted for Athearn based upon their earlier freight car models and locomotives which were of high quality and among the lowest priced, setting a standard for other manufacturers to follow. However, I never cared much for Athearn 'shortie' passenger cars. Today I am pleased with Accurail wood box car models that I have purchased and feel that they have raised the bar above Athearn's standards.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Favorite HO Scale Manufacturer

Since the poll did not differentiate between locos and cars, I assumed that it included all rolling stock. As such, I defend my vote for Athearn particularly on the merit of their locomotives (although I have to exclude some pretty awful experiences with their steam loco venture in the sixties and the rubber-band drive diesels of the same era). I have to admire Athearn for maintaining high quality reliable rolling stock and being able to hold the cost down. I should also state that my vote was based upon the purchases I made between 1960 and 1995. Since then Athearn has permitted their prices to rise along with their competitor's prices which is far more than I am willing to pay.

-Ed Acosta

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
A product is only as good as the company that stands behind it and Bachmann has a lifetime warrenty. Also, the type locomotive or car would warrent some consideration. For example, I prefer a 2-8-2 over an 0-4-0, so maybe the pros and cons of the type would be more apropro.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,Athearn still has a handle on the prices -except the Genesis Line- that is below some of their competitors such as Life Likes P2K line that contains to climb in price and I dare say my other choice of manufacturers,Atlas, still increases their prices.However,with Atlas's Trainmen Line Atlas is returning to the basics while still producing higher end locomotives for those that want them.So,Kudos to Atlas on that move as it gives everybody regardless of their hobby dollar budget a chance to buy a Atlas locomotive. :thumb:
Friends, Remember one can save hobby dollars by buying at the best discount .. :thumb: :D

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hi,

I already voted once (for Bachmann) and since that time I have bought 4 diesels, with 8-wheel drive, with 8-wheel pickup, with a super solid tracking effort (no wobble like other cheapies), and with ---DCC--- on board, ready to go, for the incredible low price of $29.99 each. Two of the diesels are B&O F units (A+B) and two are Western Maryland Circus Jeeps. They seem to be great.

Without DCC the Bachmann Diesels are selling for $20, which I feel is a bargain compared to other manufacturer's products in that price range.

For steam locos, their products are good if they are what you are looking for, but the IHC/AHM seem to have a little more variety and detail.

I still keep my vote for Bachmann.

siledka

Aug 28, 2005
Meaning American steam I would definitely wote for Broadway, but being a fan of German stem my heart is in Landshut!)

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
Newbe!

Athearn - It's almost the only choice from the local dealers!

I rode the rail (Chicago Northwestern-B&O-NYC) as a child to go back east to see family 50's-60's - Loved it but never got that train set for Xmas - Xmas 1981 my young daughters presented me with a Bachmann Rock Island set - year later remodeled the basement and it went to storage - collected what I could over the years (Athern because that is what my local dealer had) in hopes one day I could get back -
Last month Whiteside County IL. celebrated 150 years of trains here - my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter showed great fasination with all the going's on - you guessed it! Got everything out and set it up (temp) on the pool table - She loved it and does a good job of running them - SHE! wanted to know why Popas old Bachmann RI doesn't run like the Athearn's - I guess she gets a vote too - LOL HaHaHa !!!!!!!
Well here I am, back in it! Joined this board and am now planning roadbed!
Oh! By the way! That dealer had an auction saturday (4 hay racks full) picked up 2 Locos for $9 - some rolling stock - flex track - cork and other misc.

I would like to say that in a short time I have learned so much from reading the posts - thanks!

S

stashu45

Broadway Limited Imports and Athearn are my favorite for both steam and the limited weisels I have. The detail and sound is great so realistic. Lionel's 4-6-6-4 has the detail but the whistle sound leaves something to be desired.

The Donkey

Sep 18, 2005
I picked Atlas, although Athearn is a close 2nd-Atlas getting the edge by the slow speed on their locos!

frisco1519

Nov 27, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
I buy mostly Athearn but I also have Atlas, Walthers, Acu Rail, Roundhouse, Kato and others. I purchased a Broadway Limited Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern and it is great. It really pulls a big load with very little effort. I also bought the sidekick attachment to blow the horn and ring the bell. I have the Santa Fe 2-10-2 on order now and it should be here in January.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ed,Accurail wooden cars are nice indeed as are their other freight cars..However,I think Athearn has raisen the bar again with some of the newer RTR nonBlue Box freight cars.

spookman

Apr 22, 2006
henryslureworld.com
I am new myself and buying all the wrong stuff. I got some model power engines and some bachmans off ebay and some others from a friend but didn't have one with any real power. Soo I bought two big atherns from the lionel shop today and tried one of them out. They run smooth as silk but you have to assemble the rails and they are way too tiny for my old eyes to see. Also they are slower instead of faster. I am going to the Port Huron show tomorrow and see if I can find some heavyduty power tomorrow.