You Might Be A Model Train Nut if:

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jasbourre, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

:) You Might Be A Model Train Nut if:

• 1) You won't take a highway unless it parallels a railroad line.
    • 2) 95% of your photo collection is of locomotives and rolling stock instead of family and friends.
    • 3) You honestly think it's a capital crime to discard old railroad magazines.
    • 4) You wear a pair of striped overalls, a cap, and a red vest covered with insignia of every major railroad imaginable.
    • 5) You describe colors as Daylight Orange, Brunswick Green, Glacier Blue, Harbormist Grey, and Boxcar Red.
    • 6) You have four shoeboxes filled with discarded hornhook couplers "just in case".
    • 7) You've ever used Instant Weathering spray paint to rescue models that didn't turn out right.
    • 8) You spend $500.00 on a brass locomotive to pull a $1.95 caboose.
    • 9) You request the trackside rooms at the Fort Worth Ramada Inn.
    • 10) You eat at "Big Boy" restaurants because if just seems right.
    • 11) You collect CD's of various train sounds to differentiate between a 567 and a 645 prime mover.
    • 12) Your eyes glaze over when you hear words like SD70MAC or DASH 8-40C.
    • 13) You buy your daughter a Baldwin piano only to find out it wasn't built at Eddystone after all.
    • 14) When you see the word LIMA, you don't think of Peru or butterbeans.
    • 15) Your blood pressure rises over the centerfolds in one of the model railroad magazines.
    • 16) You think rail nippers are the best modeling tool ever invented.
    • 17) You know how to correctly pronounce Mallet, Boxpoke, and Walschaerts.
    • 18) You think a train party is a big model railroad meet.
    • 19) You have a complete set of Walthers catalogs dating back to 1935
    • 20) You camp out overnight to get tickets to a model train swap meet.
    • 21) You deprive yourself of food on a trip to buy more film.
    • 22) You think a reefer is a car you ship frozen foods in.
    • 23) You've ever run a model diesel without its handrails.
    • 24) You've ever MU'd two model locomotives with the same road number.
    • 25) You have ever walked on water to get to your favorite trestle photo site.
    • 26) You've ever run doublestacks behind a model steam locomotive.
    • 27) You've got more unassembled kits in the closet than in Walther's warehouse.
    • 28) You have superdetailed Athearn diesels that rival Overland brass but honestly don't know how to install Kadees on them.
    • 29) You've ever used rail nippers to remove low-hanging Kadee coupler pins.
    • 30) You can't do the dishes because the sink is occupied by plastic body shells soaking in brake fluid.
    • 31) You place your thumb on the most visible spot-of a model to see if your paint is dry.
    • 32) You write a letter to SANTA FE at Christmas.
    • 33) You name your cat "Chessie".
    • 34) You think dust is a pretty good form of weathering.
    • 35) You hoard horn-hook couplers. - AC
  2. ausien

ausien Active Member

What is the reason for number 30.:confused: And what if only 30% pertain to you? are you only a part time train nut?.:rolleyes:

Good post,:thumb: do you match all 35 points yourself.:D :D :D ..have a good one..steve..
  3. theBear

theBear Member

4. ausien

ausien Active Member

You learn something new every day, thanks dave...have a good one..steve
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

LOL Good stuff!!

36) You have ever chased a train for 4 miles, in your car - because you needed a picture of "That Engine"

37) You can judge by the horn "crossing signals" how fast a train is going and in which direction.. Because it crosses 4 roads near your home.

38) You know about 5 people that will call you any time of day, to let you know there is a Train on TV somewhere. They will also call from one side of a flea market (when you are on the other side ) to see if you saw the train things on a certain table...

39) While waiting, with a camera, for a train to get to a station, you are more upset than the regular passangers are when the train is late.
  6. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

How about #40, you've stood outside in 25 below for an hour with nothing but cadbury's cream eggs, a camera and enough clothing to fill a store, only to have the camera freeze just when the train you've been waiting for arrives.. and you still think this was a fun day.

(can you spot the personal experience :) :)
  7. theBear

theBear Member

Huh, Ya can't fool this here Bear type critter, it never gets that cold out there in the gulf stream. Oh yeah and you can send that bunny here with a big basket of goodies [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
  8. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

Gulf stream!.. hah.. we have the Labrador current.. I gave up the gulf stream when I left the Uk.. I was going to say -35 but then realised.. no wait.. that was when I lived in New Brunswick :) !!

btw. love the avatar, I just got two beautiful books about the Maine Central,

Maine Central in Color Vol 1 and 2 Man am I upset that I didn't get here when the MEC was operating, what wonderful railroad, and perfect to model too!

9. EL3625

EL3625 New Member

:eek: I've never had my camera freeze up and I've been out in Massena, NY when it was -20 and snowing. But then I keep the ol' camera inside my coat til I see a train.:) :thumb:

#41- waiting til your railfan buddies are half way across the field.......Then yelling SNAKE!!!!!!!:) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: . Works for me.......................
    John D.
  10. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

11. theBear

theBear Member

He he,

Northern Maine Junction (sort of, coming soon to a basement near me) [​IMG]. I have a plan dealing with B&A and MEC. Just a little problem with things in the way.

My father in law worked for the MEC for 42 years other family members also worked for the railroad.

I used to watch the trains in my home town (can't do that anymore, no track even), the yard was up the street 2 blocks. I also got to help turn a loco or two on a turntable. Heck a lot of the places I stood during deer season I got to by using the old track lines, a good number of those places are now under beaver flows. I for one would not want to be the first to ride the rails along a large part of the old mainline.

Now don't you go fooling those others about the temp in NS ... we all know it is 75, sunny, and you are drinking a tall frosty one at the beach watching the lovely ladies [​IMG].
  12. theBear

theBear Member

13. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

41) If you stole your baby cousin just to ask the driver for "him" to ride inside the cab!!

14. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Member

#42) You confuse being a railfan with being a model train nut... the two often run together, but not always...
  15. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

(43) Yer readin' this thread instead of goin' home after work. :D :D
  16. emt49

emt49 Member

when people walk in your house and ask if any thing in your house (dose not )have to do with trains
  17. CN1

CN1 Active Member

14B) When you see the word ALCO, you don't think of the construction trailers or Travel agency :p :p :D :wave:
  18. theBear

theBear Member

Whenever you see a flashing red light you cry because you missed the train.
  19. ausien

ausien Active Member

God, did I say :rolleyes: when 30% points to you, it should have been 60%,:D :D there`s no hope for me.. I`M A TRAIN NUT 0-4-0h sure:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ....have a good one...steve
  20. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

45) You've been arrested for being a terrorist surveiling places to blow up a train. :D :D :D