You Get What You Pay For :(

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ejen34, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ejen34

ejen34 Member

The wife took me out shopping early last night. One of the stops was the local dollar store. The one where everything in stock is priced at a dollar, whether it is worth a dollar or not :) I spotted a carded package of 12 paint brushes for 1.00 and thought that would be a great deal, at 8 cents apiece even if I only used then a couple of times, how could I pass that up? Late last night before retiring, I brushed a 5inx9in area with one of the larger brushes in this package, put it aside and off I went. This morning upon close inspection I have found 16 brush hairs on the styrene, thats more hair than on my head :thumb: :):) Not at all happy with this I rumaged thru a couple of the other brushes, upon pulling on them hairs freely came free, YIKES!

Lesson learned, for a dollar I got what I paid for, eh!
  2. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Yeouch. Yeah, that type of brush is pretty common. I remember picking brush hairs out of my fine art pieces in grade school.

Sorry bro! At least it was only a buck.
  3. Otto

Otto New Member

Perhaps a couple drops of glue/CA near the ferel end might "lock" the bristles in place. Just a thought.

4. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

How 'bout you take the rest of the brushes and turn them into grass on the layout...just cut the bristles off where you want them.
  5. stripes

stripes Member

They might be good for dry brushing on chaulks!!
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I like the dollar store ones for weathering (with chalk and craft paints). Some haris do come loose, but you can kinda "pre-treat" them to get most of the loose ones out by painting some paper towel with water.

I like the grass suggestion... :thumb:

7. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

same thing..

Happened to me last night! I was painting large sections of styrene and lost alot of hair to the paint. Good thing this is a weathered building and blended in.