Yokomo D1 Tyres

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by imported_Ed, Nov 21, 2004.

1. imported_Ed

imported_Ed Guest

Which tyres are better? The older Yokomo 'rings' or the newer D1 rings which go almost the entire width of the tyre

To the guys in the US,in Europe we spell tyres with a 'y' and not tires :wink:

I found the newer style easier to fit than the older type,but is that the reason they were changed?

Ed
  2. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

Well us yanks never do anything like the rest of the world, we always try to be different but end up making it harder :)

I havent tried the new d1 rings, however I have found the older rings tend to provide enough of the real tire to give it the traction you need...
  3. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Yes... us yanks are turely a new breed at times.

But i personally perfer ABS with electral tape on the outer edge
  4. imported_Ed

imported_Ed Guest

Its just I found the D1 tyre rings far easier to put on,what are others experiances with them?

Im getting really bad understeer at the mo(you are steering and the car is going straight on) so I was wondering is it the tyre or my setup???

Ed
  5. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Well, to solve your tyre problem as if its your set up or tyres, we need both info. :lol:
  6. imported_Ed

imported_Ed Guest

Funny thing is it went nicely on tarmac,crap on concrete and useless on a polished wooden floor.Should be able to play on some tarmac tomorrow,Ill report back then,as I adjusted the shock angles earlier.Might just have to adjust a few little things.Its like real cars,test test test than adjust adjust adjust,until you have it sorted! :wink:

Ed
  7. hkopium

hkopium Guest

D1 = more smooth surface = easier to drift = better on rough surface road like on the street.

Old style = more traction than D1, I use them when playing on smoother surface like outdoor basketball court.

Japanese made (brand name is Shiramiz or something like that) = lots of traction, not very good for drifting on street nor basketball court. But for indoor (wood floor), it is the best.

So, the answer is, no one type of drift tyre is the best. It depends on the road condition and your car settings.
  8. sheepdog

sheepdog Guest

I have the new D1 tires and i have experienced the understeer you are talking about, expecially on the cement in my parking garage. You can compensate for this i have found by adjusting your technique a little. I have not tried any other styles of tire.

EDIT: As my tires wear out, the understeer is unbearable. Yokomo doesnt list when to replace the plastic inserts but i guess it is now haha. I am going to try the PVC wheels tomorrow.