Yogi's - building for the classroom

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Retired_for_now, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Yuri's Night

Well, 12 April has come and gone - but next year will be the 50th anniversary of the first human spaceflight.

PJC Planetarium had a little to-do, hosted with the Escambia Amateur Astronomers and the Federation Ship USS Continuum, for the evening. Attention hog that I am, I did a quick version of Leo's boctok / Vostok capsule (in ping-pong ball scale) for the event and eventual display with all the other nano-cellulose-composite spacecraft models on display.

Yogi (still lazy, after all ...)
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

For a quick job that really looks good Yogi! You even included a mini-Yuri. I like it!
  3. ovation

ovation Member

You may have seen my old "golf ball" vostoks in the past :mrgreen:
    I keep thinking of making one with the upper stage still attached,I do have a paper model of it,but can't find the file or the website anymore :rolleyes:

EDIT: I found it here ..

4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

You got it JJ - Leo's model is the one I built, using the ping-pong ball option (obviously a bit smaller than the golf-ball scale version). Nice model, either way.

5. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Well, somehow May turned out to be a busy month (or at least it went by fast). I'm still waiting on the display space for the space station series to be finished - so they are sitting on the work table (did add some fine copper wire under the Skylab telescope solar arrays to make them more durable for long term display; nothing fancy, just pierced through the octagonal box, run under the panels, and a spot of glue to secure the outer end).

Did a few items for the wife - performing onstage in a bit about a houseful of interesting characters in New Orleans just before Katrina.

It's one of Ray Keim's houses.

That and made a bunch of these gliders as "bait" for an Air Force Association membership drive. Give-aways for the kids; the little humans drag the big ones right on over to the display.

Need to get back to building some things for next school year - and catching up on the latest crop of satellite launches (Herschel/Planck, etc.).

6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

A little work over the summer

Been a bit distracted working on a Bomarc stomp rocket (at ecardmodels) but did build up a couple of educational items.

The space station set now has a home at the Emerald Coast Science Center. I also did a couple of workshops for their summer science camps. Built and launched stomp rockets with the 6-8 and 9-11 year old sessions.

100% success on the builds and launches. We launched for accuracy (land on Mars/5 gallon bucket at 50 feet), distance (80 feet the winner, though we launched one of my demos well beyond my measured 100 foot range after the competition), and rocket drag racing (set up two launch tubes T-ed off of one bottle for equal "stomps" and see who goes furthest).

Found some new planetary/moon models. Did up a complete set of the Galilean moons of Jupiter for the Pensacola State College Planetarium. Also dropped off the Eros asteroid model to go with the NEAR mission display.

Still fiddling with Phobos-Grunt Mars moon sample return mission and the Herschel space telescope. Progress by and by.

7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Progress Report?

Checked in on the space station set displayed at the Emerald Coast Science Center - still intact! The tiny hands must be under amazing control (so far).

Worked up a little different display for the Planetarium Lobby

ISS (two-foot version) lacks the truss and solar arrays; but the BIG-ISS will be hanging overhead so I think they'll get the idea. Still need a good background graphic - ideas?

8. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Busy? These things are relative ...

Where does the time go? Of course, if you can answer that (or any other fundamental question about time, what it is, etc.) the Nobel committee is looking for you.

Followed up the space stations with a "Shuttle" series for the Planetarium. More bait to bring them in.

Dropped off some new items (Lower Hudson Valley) at the Planetarium as well. A Mars Science Lab rover and the Juno probe to Jupiter (both launching soon).

Starting to set up another teacher workshop with the new National Flight Academy over at the Museum of Naval Aviation on NAS Pensacola. A little gift for them to lubricate the process - 100 years of Naval Aviation. Two Ojimaks and an original Curtiss.

9. asclepius

asclepius New Member

Combination Realspace-Scifi Display

This is a great build that should keep young minds dreaming. Love the Orion shuttle from 2001!

Thank you for sharing,

10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Yogi, you are such an inspiration, hardly "Retired for Now"!!
  11. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Alien Robots on Mars!

From the archives for 187.304 Barsoom standard (July/August 1976 Earth calendar)

News flash from Chryse Planitia (the Plains of Gold) and Utopia Planitia. Two large, three-legged alien robots have landed - possibly the vanguard of an invasion force!
    Local farmer Marvin reports that the alien robot landed in his rock garden and is totally screwing up the feng-shui. We'll have more as the situation develops. Meanwhile, we return you to your regular program on Mars Mystery Theater ...

anyway .... every once in a while you need some perspective. We think we've explored so much of our solar system, but we've only done flybys of the gas giants with two Pioneers and the two Voyagers and orbited each with one (Jupiter with Galileo and Saturn with Cassini). Galileo is long gone but Juno is on the way.

Closer to home is our nearest neighbor, Mars. So, how many operational robots have we landed on Mars?

(BTW - this one in 1:12 scale is in the downloads here and at Lower Hudson Valley; this particular build will be a teacher workshop door prize)
  12. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Alien Robots on Mars - the secret files

Eye only - MOST SECRET - tentacle in restricted channels only

18716.128 Barsoom standard (July 1997 Earth calendar)

Incident report - Ares Vallis. Reliable observers reported a large, rubbery object falling from the sky. Investigators reached the scene quickly and observed a membranous object. Witnesses reported the object was inflated and roughly spherical when it hit, bouncing several time and squashing several culturally important sand paintings. Shortly after landing, the object shed its outer skin to reveal two alien robots inside. Recalling similar incidents from 11 (Martian) years ago, we cordoned off the area under the critical event/alien invasion rules. Later reporting indicates at least one of the alien robots is moving. So far it has done little other than to get disturbingly familiar with a couple of rocks.
    The site remains quarantined and the martian who witnessed the landing - Marvin - is being processed through security.

So, after 21 (Earth) years we made a third successful landing. Pathfinder proved out a radically simpler method of landing. While the Viking landers came down on rockets (rearranging and contaminating the soil under the landers), the Pathfinder mission used a big ball of airbags around the probe to cushion its landing. It literally bounced and rolled to a stop after being released from the descent parachute.

Build notes - this one in 1:12 scale is in the downloads at Lower Hudson Valley. The deflated air bags are not modelled since I figured they were adequately shown on the graphic under the model.
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I never thought about the contamination of the soil. I guess I wouldn't make a good scientist! I am amazed how you can bang out these models like this, with such a high quality too! :)
  14. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Mars Daily - EXCLUSIVE!!! The Aliens are here!!!!

EXTRA EDITION - 18720.053 Barsoom standard (January 2004 Earth calendar)

Exclusive to the Daily - our martian-on-the-scene Marvin has provided the first pictures from Gusev Crater and Meridiani Planum of the alien invasion fleet (THEY'RE HERE!). A similar event is rumored to have occurred four short (martian) years ago, but it was hushed up by the Authorities. Marvin tells us two large, rubbery objects fell from the sky. Before they could be contained, the objects shed their skins and each released an alien robot. Local landowner, old martian Gusev, reports the robot has made a real mess of his crater, grinding on his rock pavements and leaving tracks in the sand. The robot has so far missed his pond and garden - no reports so far of the alien engraving any messages from the Princess Dejah Thoris or the return of John Carter.
    You read it here first - Mars Daily: All the News You'll Ever Need.

After just 7 (Earth) years we returned to the red planet in spectacular fashion. The Mars Exploration Rover program successfully landed two solar powered Rovers. The Rovers used the same landing method as the previous Pathfinder mission. Unlike Pathfinder, each lander contained a single Rover (no base station needed as all the instruments were on/in the Rovers). The basic design of all three rovers (Sojourner, Spirit & Opportunity) is the same but these Rovers are over twice the size and 17 times heavier than the mini-rover. The size and weight of the Rovers is at the limit for "soccer-ball" landers.
    While we haven't included any experiments to look specifically for life (not since Viking), the Rovers do have cameras and instruments to look very closely at the surface and analyze its chemical composition. What they've found indicates Mars may have been very hospitable for life in the past. The Rovers vastly expanded the area that can be surveyed, from a few square meters around the fixed Viking landers, past the tens of square meters within range of the Sojourner mini-Rover, to kilometers of terrain.
    Designed for a 90-day (90 martian sols) mission, Spirit lasted until 2010 when mechanical wear and a soft surface finally immobilized it. Unable to position itself to catch the winter sun on its solar panels, Spirit froze during the martian winter, having covered 7.7 km across Mars.
    Opportunity continues to roam the surface, having covered over 34 km.

Build notes - this is Erik/Ton's Rover from the downloads at Lower Hudson Valley or Ton's home page. Another teacher workshop door prize, the model is glued to a plywood base. I have a couple more glued to card-box bases similar to this earlier build.

The card base is probably more practical since it's light enough you can lift the display by the base or model without damage.

Zathros - the contamination issue is obviously a prime concern for Mars landers. Viking was elaborately decontaminated and housed in a "bioshield" until released for landing, as were Pathfinder and the Rovers. Possible contamination was a discussion item in the Phoenix Polar Lander mission as well - they spent a long time talking about the source of the perchlorate (could be poisonous or a food source depending on the biology) the experiments found. Local or contamination from the thrusters (consensus was it was from the soil of Mars).
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You are such an inspiration for all those who read our posts. Many time I have gone to the 'net to research what yo have posted. I thank you for that. Your gift of knowledge is a great one.... A GREAT ONE!
  16. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Mars Water Conservation Alert!

Call to Action from Water Conservation Central 18722.167 Barsoom standard (May 2008 Earth calendar)

News flash from the north polar region. Today another alien spacecraft landed, this one threatening our critical ice/water supplies. While the robot did not make off with any precious water, it did dig several trenches exposing some ice and causing it to sublimate. Our field volunteers will monitor the robot's activities, but it is not expected to survive the winter snows.

Water is Life - purity of essence.

The Phoenix lander was a redo of the failed Mars Polar Lander mission. Phoenix used surplus hardware, some new experiments, and new landing software (the 1998 Polar Lander was lost when software mistook the vibrations from the lander's leg deployment for surface touchdown and cut the rockets while the lander was still in the air). Phoenix carried several experiments to look for conditions that could support life,though it was not equipped to directly detect life. Phoenix did give us the first direct look at water ice on Mars. The lander completed its mission and hunkered down for the winter; however, the mission could not be extended as the lander did not survive the Martian winter. High resolution pictures from the MRO satellite indicate snow collapsed the solar arrays - though the cold temperatures were equally deadly to the lander.

Build notes - this is a modification of the NASA/JPL model of the Mars Polar Lander. The instruments, sampling arm, and top deck have been redrawn to reflect the Phoenix probe. In addition, solar panels from Ton's Orion capsule model have been used. Like the Viking model, the lander sits on a paper "cube" and is secured with two tabs on the block that fit into slots in the bottom of the model. So, the model is secure but if someone in the classroom picks it up the model it will come free without damage.
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

These are Hilarious! :)
  18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Have I got a deal for you!

Always happy to help, Zathros.

And so, that's all the successful lander missions to Mars. For those keeping count (like the Planetary Society at www.planetary.org ) the score for all Mars missions stands at:
    Humans - 13
    Mars - 20
    and 6 ties (partial successes)

Others mission that included landers were:
    Mars 2 in 1971 (USSR) - never made it to Mars to deploy its lander;
    Mars 3 in 1971 (USSR) - 20 seconds of lander operation after touchdown;
    Mars 6 in 1973 (USSR) - failed just before touchdown;
    Mars 7 in 1973 (USSR) - lander separated early and missed the planet ....;
    Phobos 2 in 1989 (Russia) - lost contact before deploying lander toward the moon Phobos;
    Mars 96 in 1996 (Russia) - orbiter, lander, and two surface penetrators never made it out of Earth orbit;
    Mars Polar Lander in 1999 (USA) - premature engine shutdown before landing, crashed;
    Mars Express/Beagle 2 in 2003 (ESA) - orbiter still on station but lander failed (used some design/instruments from Mars 96);
    Phobos-Grunt in 2011 (Russia) - upper stage failure, never made it out of Earth orbit.

Puts our plans to send Humans to Mars in perspective. We still need to go but a building block approach (build cruiser in orbit with ISS technology, long duration test flights near Earth, etc.) would be smarter than an Apollo-like stunt that sends a big rocket stack to Mars and gets back a little tin-can-'o-astronauts.

So, what happens to the stuff we already put on Mars? Planetary park? Memorial? Or:

Phobos-Grunt was a disappointment last month, here's hoping the Mars Science Lab Curiosity Rover gets us another one in the win column.

Cruise stage - should be up at Lower Hudson Valley (LHVCC) eventually

MSL Rover at LHVCC

And a little essay (reduced size, simple suspension parts) to see how that Rube-Goldberg suspension actually works.

Reality beats virtual any day.

19. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Building the set - the scales the thing

So, getting ahead of the landings if not the launch. I select a model scale to produce a "hand-sized" model and to keep the parts count down. I like parts that fit on a page. The exact scale of a design is determined more by the ease of drawing the parts (using a .05" grid - about a millimeter) than anything else. For a single model that works fine, but when working on something that's part of a set of related models you need to standardize the scale with multiples of 12 (US 1:12;24;48;96; etc.) or 8 (1:8;16;32;72; etc.) - or maybe go rational with tens (1:10;20;100; etc.)

So, working with a 1:48 scale MSL cruise stage aeroshell it gets enlarged (still working on how "poster print" does scaling); a 1:20 drawn descent stage (skycrane) gets adjusted; and a 1:12 rover gets reduced (with a simplified suspension). Passing over the joys of piecing together parts or working a half size (those details didn't seem so small when originally drawn) you get 1:24 scale:

Still a work in progress on the descent stage (fit, graphics, instructions) but it should end up a Lower Hudson Valley ...

20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Did you see UHU02's Globe of the Earth? I did not thing some could be made so round in paper using the techniques we use? :)