Yogi's - building for the classroom

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Retired_for_now, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ovation

ovation Member

I think the SkyLab CSM was half silver,it looked slightly differant to the the Apollo ones :mrgreen:

I don't think anyone would notice either way as its a detail that only a few nerds (such as myself) would notice :wave:

2. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

JJ - actually, if I can make it more accurate I will. It ain't "nerd," it's depth of knowledge and insight. Now, I think I saw a Saturn/Skylab stack somewhere. I wonder if I can crib another CSM ...

Ah, the joy of slip ring connections. Remove and replace anyone?

Yogi (gone scrounging agin' ...)
  3. jparenti

jparenti Member

Here's my build! It's really a great scale to work in -- you can see detail without the model needing its own room to live in.

I'm thinking about adding gold paper to the body, and possibly doing a version in launch configuration to go with it -- folded for storage and with a removable payload fairing. Perhaps later...
    Salyut is next, but it may take me until tomorrow -- still on vacation and finally it's warm enough to wash my car, so I need to take the opportunity. :mrgreen:
  4. ovation

ovation Member

Here's my old one (new version isn't on the lappy yet)
    you can see the old Gemini air lock hatch (red suround) and the 4 sections of the Air Lock Truss (which took forever to figure out)

I made a bit of a mess with the Air Lock Truss making it slightly too big,but it fits :mrgreen:

The new version is slightly better,but could still be improved on :rolleyes:

Ive no Salyut's so Im looking forward to having a go at one :thumb:

5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

@ Ovation - Please, have mercy on aging eyes and point out the old Gemini hatch. I can't find a red surround. :oops:
  6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Dang, J & JJ. That's fast and clean. I'll assume that means the fit was OK. And JJ's "old" one looks pretty dang good.

Elliott - the hatch is dead center in Ovation's first picture.

I'll get the Skylab posted and into the interrogation queue - J. I've done some more graphics work on it so you may want a new copy. You should be able to use the truss pieces to build the launch configuration. I haven't done any graphics to capture the look of the shielding lost on launch.

7. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Skylab approved and ready for download! Another great job Yogi. Well done!
  8. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

Yes, on the lunar missions, the SM and obviously everything else attached to it was routinely rotated to keep one side from baking and the other side getting too cold, sort of like getting an overall even tan at the beach. Because the Skylab CSM was going to be docked for weeks at a time, one half of the SM was extra "shiny".
  9. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

I appreciate the info AJ - still looking for a "skylab" Apollo. I'd rather not repaint Ton's (I'm sure if I touch anything the magic of its perfect fit will be lost ...)

10. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

You could rescale the outer CM skin on Surfduke's. He has a Skylab Apollo.
  11. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Salyut - Skylab - MIR - ISS

Got started on Mir, using the dimensions from the Russian ISS blocks as a beginning. Working on it at 1:165 so it will display with the two-foot ISS, Salyut, and Skylab in the series (tiny scale also relieves some of the pressure for detailing).

Still tweaking as I build a few modules. I'll try and get a real build thread up when I post it. A few pictures of my test fitting (no - I'm not playing with it, I'm working).

Core and Kvant

12. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

OK - retired again

Been a busy time - but I'm retired again for a while.

COBE and WMAP models are out to the mission team at Goddard to see if they'd like to post them on their education/public outreach pages. Good initial response, waiting to see what their decision is. Meanwhile, the prototypes are living at the PJC Planetarium.

Finished up the first draft of Mir - now to relook the detailing (thank you Alphonso for some superb references).

Also had a request to work around my schedule - dad needed to find a model of Viking for his daughter to build as a school project. Well, education is my excuse - sorry, REASON - for enjoying this hobby guilt free so ...

And then I finally got back to something that has bugged me for a while. NASA has two Cassini models (very easy and easy), but the most significant part of the mission, the most distant human made lander sitting on one of the most interesting objects in the solar system (yes, we're talking Huygens) is modelled as two conics and a disk - aeroshell only.

And today's question - what's the difference between a pile of material for a scratch build and a kit?

Yep, that would be some kind of instructions. Which is what's holding up posting the above. Maybe I'll stay retired long enough to get them done by EOM.

13. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

And WMAP

Limited out the pix above.

14. ovation

ovation Member

I love the comparison between the space stations,when I first made my plastic kits I was quite shocked to see the differance between Mir and the ISS !

And err .... is the Viking model available ? :wave:

Amazing stuff once more,

15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

JJ-thanks. I found the contrasts in the space stations striking.

Viking will be up shortly - Lower Hudson Valley and here (still haven't written the instructions ...). All the little "fold here" arrows, text, and a few pictures to make sure it's fun and not frustrating.

16. jparenti

jparenti Member

I started on Viking earlier today, and so far it's a good build. It isn't frustrating at all.

My image is a little grainy, but I'm getting through it very easily. I modified the legs a little, experimenting with springs in the cylinders. As neat as it is to sit it down on a table and feel it bounce, I'm probably going to just make them deployable without springs in the final build.
    I'm still playing with Huygens, too, but I wanted to jump ahead and start on Viking, too. I finish everything eventually, but I usually juggle three or four models at once. :D
  17. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Glad to hear it's buildable - but I'm really impressed with your mod-program. Good on 'ya!

18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Mars Quickie

And a quick build to continue the series of important, but unavailable, spacecraft.

Sojourner was the first successful rover landed on Mars - and the Pathfinder mission was the first Mars landing in over 20 years (since the 1976 Viking missions). The Pathfinder mission also tested out the "beach ball" landing system used to put the Rovers Spirit and Opportunity on the surface of Mars.

Pending interrogation, Sojourner and the Viking Orbiter and Lander will be available in the Real Space download section. No detailed (sequential) instructions, but the models (like all my designs) are simple with pictures and diagrams included.

Enjoy - Yogi
  19. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Huygens Titan lander - Cassini Saturn mission

The Cassini is also sitting in the comfy chair, awaiting inquisition in the download section. Still having problems getting pictures uploaded to illustrate the download ... so here's one for y'all.

20. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

On-orbit maintenance for the big-ISS

6 months of hanging in the planetarium lobby and it's (mostly) going strong. Spent Friday morning up on a ladder (didn't feel like de-rigging all the tag lines so we could lower it) doing mx on the ISS.

Rigged a couple of monofilament lines to support sagging solar panels on the Progress and Zvezda (note - use one-piece supports to stiffen the mountings, unless - like the big-ISS - you can't because it has a PVC support tube down the middle).

The main solar panels are laser printed, highly saturated colors on plain paper. They are secured top and bottom to card beams and glued down the center to a stiffening dowel. The laser ink effectively seals the paper, which means it will eventually warp unless completely and evenly covered. The panels really can't "drape" because they are glued their full length (future note - if I ever build another this size - let the panels hang from one end with minimal attachment elsewhere so they use their own weight to remain straight).

Bottom line - warped panels, visibly warped from the 15-foot viewing distance. The solution - brute force reinforcement with split bamboo.

The end result isn't quite perfect - but looks fine from normal distances. If it doesn't hold, the arrays are easily replaceable - dowel support simply sockets into a crimped aluminum tube expoxied into the truss armature. Pull out the old and insert a new one.

And a solution for those who don't like to dust their models (or who've already filled their shelves with books/penguins).

They also get a lot more looks than they would in the house. Daily traffic to science/engineering classes and two or three planetarium shows a week.