Yogi's - building for the classroom

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Retired_for_now, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks Kev. I usually end up building spacecraft in 1:48 - no reason other than I started at that scale and am trying to be consistent for displays. The beauty of paper is that models can be easily rescaled. 1:24 usually makes a more buildable and handle-able spacecraft model - smaller scales for the rockets. Non-inch based modellers also seem to like doing 1:25/50/100 scales.

The other scales I use are not based on the "official" ones you'd see at a convention/competition. I'm more driven by either the end-use (as big as possible for IBEX) or a self imposed limit to keep the largest part in one piece on a sheet of paper. The big-ISS scale just seemed to evolve out of the various design iterations - and limits on the size of my truck bed to get it to the Planetarium. Might be some carpentry impact - 2/4/8 feet seem to be comfortable numbers. Once that was done, smaller versions tended to be simple multiples.

2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

:confused: Don't know what happened to my post so I'll say it again. Your model is impressive Yogi, I can only imagine how that 4 foot version will look. I should think any teacher would be thrilled to have the half-size model displayed in their classroom.
  3. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

I appreciate the compliment Elliot - I don't have any plans to do the 4-foot version for lack of a display customer/donee. The eight-foot, big-ISS is hanging in the planetarium lobby - pictures on page 3 of this thread (post 40). It's nowhere near as impressive as Alphonso's work-of-art at AXM, but it makes the points needed, looks good at its "orbital" distance, and is getting good use as part of the planetarium's programs.

Give it a try at 2-foot (ISS is just a building - right? - with a really big basement) by printing the four-foot version at 4 pages per sheet. A few pages at a time, assemble as you feel like it (just like the real thing?), and there you are.

4. kk135

kk135 Member

Hi Yogi,
    Don't get me wrong my post was not intended to be a critique.
    I just liked to re-emphasis your point in that making models (especially for display) is best done all at the same scale. So people who don't know get a better feeling for the crafts modeled.
    I see a a few displays where the builder constructs his models all over the scale spectrum and it just confuses the visitors of the display.

Looking fwd to your next project.
  5. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Kev - no offense taken. I'm always up for info on why we do some of the things we do. You're definitely correct about the need for consistency in a linked display. My problem is that I tend to build something in a random scale (seemed like a good idea at the time?) then see the potential to add additional elements - which are either locked into my initial scale or I have to go back and rebuild the first model (can you say short attention span?).

Ah well, one more pitch for the wonders of technology and reduced size printing.

Speaking of which:

The (sp)ACE Trucking company - not quite Domino's Pizza 30-minutes or it's free - more like Greyhound freight (but it gets there eventually). Various scales all reduced to 1:165 for a match to the 2-foot station and a extra node for a base.

6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Updated Global Hawk

Updated the Global Hawk file in the Military Aviation downloads with a repaint in NASA livery. Oldest two surviving aircraft have been transferred to NASA for high-altitude research.

Should be up shortly pending interrogation by the moderation gods.

7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

After thorough interrogation the files...

are not now, nor have ever been members of the communist party. :mrgreen:
  8. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

All of your models are TOO COOL. Love your new node with all the spacecraft.
  9. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Next Series?

Thanks, Steve. Seemed like a logical place to stick them.

Well, we had a great turnout for the teacher workshop. Cleared the shelves of CV-22, paper glider, wind turbine, and rocket models (door prizes - and links passed out to the source files for those who didn't win one).

I still have the 2-foot ISS; need to find a place with a big enough case for it since it's too small to be a ceiling hangar, so needs to be protected from the little barbarians.

Passing the time thinking about doing a series of space stations to give the ISS perspective (which means working in my odd-ball 1:165 scale some more).

Started with Bigelow Aerospace's inflatable modules (two sub-scale prototypes operating successfully in orbit already, a couple years out from launching a full scale - 22 feet dia/45 feet long - version). Just a can and some end pieces.

Then worked on Salyut - which is cloned from the ISS Zvezda module. Soviet/Russian space stations are basically built from two modules - which were refined and also used on the ISS. Still working graphics, etc.

And Skylab - prototype still needs work on graphics, telescope mounting truss, and some details. No where near the detail/fidelity of Surfduke's - a desk model you can do with your kids in a day.

Yogi (still hibernating)
  10. ovation

ovation Member

Nice Salyut and SkyLab !

My SkyLab is still sitting half finished on the sideboard,its stopped being a model and started being something that gets knocked over every few days,
    I ran into trouble when I tried to mount the 4 long solar panels as they kep't bending and braking off the telescope mount,

I used Surfdukes and added a few things myself,but printed it at 2 pages per a4,its still going to be a big model when its finished:thumb:

11. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Refinements ...

Big and impressive when you finish JJ. Got pictures? I've looked over Surfduke's Skylab - impressive work and even more impressive considering you've figured out the puzzle without detailed instructions.

I'm still refining the Salyut and Skylab (Mir up next). Version two:

A few advantages to building small (Skylab 6 inches long without the Apollo).

Thoughts or comments?

12. jparenti

jparenti Member

Salyut and Skylab is looking great! I tried to post some reference photos for you on papermodelers regarding Skylab, but the site has been down for maintainance all day so I don't know if you saw it yet. The gold color is a thermal layer that was under the meteoroid shield that was torn off at launch. The black-and-white markings were on the shield.

Interestingly, the unflown Skylab B article at the NASM has the meteoroid shield missing -- maybe to make the exhibit resemble the flown workshop more closely?

(Still think the best place for that thing would be orbit. Sad to see it sitting there collecting dust and fingerprints but happy that it's able to show people what we were capable of.)
    The truss is looking excellent especially -- it's something I never quite got to work myself in scratchbuild. I tried to do it at too large of a scale. I can see the advantages of smaller size. :)
  13. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks J - nice pix (now I have to go back and rework graphics)!

14. ovation

ovation Member

I must have browsed the net for weeks getting as many pics of the truss as I could do,and still I couldn't figure Surfdukes bits out,I made a couple of test trusses before settling on the one I thought looked best,

Most small models have a conical section where the main lab ends and the Docking/Airlock is but theres a lot of detail in there,lots of tanks and cylinders and a space for the Airlock hatch (old Gemini hatch)

These pics http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Sava_Fett/Skylab/ were a god send :thumb:

15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks JJ - there's apparently an EVA airlock hatch in there, enough room to snake your way out, and (as you said) lot's of other stuff. Not sure if it's worth it at this scale (kinda like my simplified ATM trusses) but I'm still fiddling. The face of the telescope probably needs to be redone since you don't see the apertures, just the moveable covers.

16. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I just have to say (and echo others) how impressed I am with this whole effort, and the individual models that comprise it.

Especially now, it's vitally important to introduce young folk to the roots of space exploration and the development of our era of spaceflight.

Kudos to you!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  17. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

OK, now we're blushing. Actually, like most things, it's not a big effort. Just a little bit each day - and the personality quirk that I get my enjoyment from the building, not from the having on the shelf (probably explains why there are too many boats around here that don't get wet very often).

As a word of encouragement - if you check your local library, schools, science center/exploratorium/etc, and colleges that have aerospace classes you can find homes for your models. Side benefit, that clears space on your shelves to make more models and lessens the input from "she who tries to keep this place organized" about the hordes of models around the house.

BTW - the Salyut should be posted in the downloads shortly. Still debating how much more detail to try and add to the Skylab (leaning toward "left to the builder's time/imagination").
  18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Skylab ATM

After due consideration - I don't think I'm going to complicate the Skylab telescope truss any further. Unless I enlarge this to hang with the big-ISS (amost a 7-inch cylinder at 1:40) I don't think you'd get much benefit from more sticks in the truss.

As is, it's 1:165 to display with the two-foot ISS in an eventual "space habitats" series. Working up the enthusiasm to tackle Mir - lot's of editting existing ISS bits, assuming I remember all the particulars and why I drew them as I did.

Oh well, might have COBE and WMAP models up at the NASA GSFC Lambda research site shortly so that should give me a jolt.

19. jparenti

jparenti Member

Looks good! By the way, is that one of Ton's CSMs attached?
  20. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Got it in one - Ton does such precise and beautiful work I won't even attempt to compete (builds great from 1:48 down to 1:200 - now that's superb design). Obviously, it's not included with the Skylab since it's Ton's work - but it's certainly easy to find.

If only Ton had done a Soyuz - the MARS Center product is a bugger at 1:100, never mind reducing it (and I'm waiting for Surfduke to write directions). So, Salyut and the ISS are making do with Soyuz/Progress "shapes." I still fiddle with the graphics periodically ... but a long way to go with them.