Yogi's - building for the classroom

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Retired_for_now, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Rocket Garden Base

First base is done. It's just a 10x14 piece of 1/2 inch mdf. I didn't add any diorama elements (visitor center, gantries, etc?). I will eventually position a 1:200 scale school bus with the rockets to give kids an immediate feeling for scale.

Any thoughts on appropriate display elements before I build the rest of the bases?

(the bits on the sides are handles to lift the display in/out of a standard office storage box - not yet permanently attached while I think about the visuals they create)
  2. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

SpaceX Falcon 9 - Dragon

Took a few to scratch build one of the commercial-off-the-shelf rockets NASA has contracted for ISS resupply.

SpaceX was started by Elon Musk (Paypal founder) to develop the cheapest possible launch system. His initial Falcon 1 is already in commercial service. Falcon 9 should launch this year. SpaceX has a $1B contract with NASA for ISS resupply flights using the Dragon capsule. SpaceX has designed the Falcon 9 and Dragon to be man-rated from the get-go and has proposed it for ISS crew travel as well.

SpaceX F9 Dragon 1-200.jpg
    1:200 scale in 20lb bond paper (to match the rocket garden).

3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Morning Retired,

Brilliant design for your base. Very well done. I especially like the circles under each rocket. Really sets them off.
  4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks Steve,
    Any thought on appropriate diorama elements - or how to incorporate them? I'm restricted to this footprint since it needs to travel/store in a standard office box.
  5. RossinAZ

RossinAZ New Member

Hello Retired,

If I may suggest, I think your idea to put a school bus in the same scale as the rockets is a great idea. I don't know if you want to "clutter" it up with too much else. You really want the focus to be the rockets. The bus idea is good for the kids to get a sense of how big the rockets really are. I think you have done a superb job so far.

Just my .02 worth.

6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Good points Ross. I have the little busses (PaperToys.com) - 2.5" long (6 and a bit cm) at 1:200 scale, so they become a bit challenging also. I'm thinking of leaving the ARES V corner empty (unmanned anyway) and putting various bits (manned proposals from SpaceX, Orbital, Jupiter Direct, Ariane, etc.) in that spot.

Now to finish up two more Long March, two Saturn V, and two shuttles; then I can start passing them out. Almost football season so will have less time available as well.

7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Been a bit busy - dropped off the Hubble, Kepler and James Webb space telescope models to the local Emerald Coast Science Center for use in their astronomy programs (might be the future home of the "tour of the solar system" fleet - we'll see; I might have to build them a display case too ...)

8. joeblow321

joeblow321 Member

I really like your models. You do a great job.

I found the model of the school bus on the website but unsure what the scale it is. I am going to do a project that has many models in 1/144 scale. I know how to rescale but would like to know what the one on the site is.

Thanks for any info.

Take care
  9. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

I'm not certain what the scale is - as I recall I guessed a 40' bus length. I haven't used the raw papertoys graphic; I pasted it into powerpoint and rescaled to 2.5" back-bumper-to-front-bumper for 1:200, 5" for 1:100, etc. I did a 1:50 but had to print it out in two pieces and join them.
  10. joeblow321

joeblow321 Member

Thanks for the info. That helps me alot.

Take care
  11. obwand10

obwand10 New Member

thats nice
  12. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Cleared the shelves!

Just lent out the used satellite lot, box-o-moon probes, and a rocket garden - better sitting on someone else's display shelf than in boxes in a hot, humid garage.

Turns out the Pensacola Junior College planetarium is being redone (finally going digital) and they had asked the local IPMS club (Pensacola Modelleers - nice, interesting bunch) if they had any space related items to donate. Fellow AF Association member in the club mentioned the request to me in passing - so the space probes and (some of the) rockets have a new home. I'll post a picture after they finish arranging their displays. They seemed happy - also amazed that the models were paper.

Made sure it has a display graphic: "Build Your Own Space Exploration Fleet" with a short selection of free model websites (NASA/JPL, LHVCC, etc.). Most of the planetarium show traffic is kids in school groups so, maybe we add to both the engineering and modeling population. Also the reason to push free sites - school teachers never seem to have any money for these activities.

Next up - a question. They'd really like an ISS model to hang in the entry (big, high open space). I'm wondering how to create a visually effective ISS light enough to safely hang, big enough to be seen hanging 10'/3m above the floor (1:50 scale or larger?), and simple enough that it can be duplicated by a school class (or maybe built by several classes in cooperation?).

Any thoughts?

13. Dr. Aerospace

Dr. Aerospace New Member

Yogi, just a quick line to let you know that this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. I have no doubt that the kids and teachers loved the straw-lauched airplanes and rockets - really neat idea! And I also think the bus was an inspired idea for showing scale. I'll have to remember that. Great job!
  14. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks Doc - though I've worked at refining things for the purpose, I'm heavily indebted to the designers (Ton, the Landsbergen team, Surfduke, etc.) for my raw material.

It's a satisfying way for any of us to clear our shelves for future projects ...

15. Dr. Aerospace

Dr. Aerospace New Member

I often work with kids at engineering expos so I'm filing this project as an idea for a future expo. They'd enjoy it, I'm sure. Thanks again for the idea.
  16. Jagolden

Jagolden New Member

Incredible collection, Yogi. Nice build at such small sizes.
  17. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Economy model display cases

-Doc: you're welcome to anything I can help with (or something like that with better grammar).
    -jag: I used to think 1:48 was big, until I saw your artwork. Let's see, you enlarged the 1:48 builds to 1:12 - so if I send you the ISS at about 1:40 you'll do a 1:10 scale build and repaint for us?? (Would only be a little over 30 feet across the truss at that scale).

And the best display cases you can get are ... some one else's!

So, here's the initial drop off at the Planetarium. They'll arrange them as needed for current programs (they are still waiting on their new projector system - so haven't re-opened yet).

They were serious about the ISS - "It's all about the space station now" - so that's being worked up. After some initial experiments with an all PVC structure/paper skins or soda bottles/paper skins I decided to go with a PVC armature and skin it with standard paper models of the various ISS parts.

View attachment Big_ISS_Armature.pdf

Expect details in a separate build thread ...

18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

240 cubic feet of Space Station

Got started on the ISS - nothing out there that would scale up for display (and have a reasonable=small number of parts so I can finish it). So, ended up doing more rudimentary design in 1:40 scale. NASA has page of modelling references for the Space Station at http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/scalemodel/index.html . That, Jon Leslie's cone-o-matic and pi and we're off!

Basic modules slide onto the armature

Truss is a box that fits over the armature

Setting up is a problem - but necessary to deal with the floppy bits

Then there's the rigging that will suspend it overhead in the planetarium lobby

The hard part is not designing or building the modules - it's figuring out how to attach the parts so they are rigid enough for display and mounting it all safely overhead.

More to follow as I wind down the actual building and get time to write up a coherent thread.

19. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Amost Launched!

ISS should go up in the lobby of the Pensacola Junior College Planetarium tomorrow. They've already generated some interest from traffic passing the spacecraft displays - students on the way to class. Planetarium re-opens on 26 Oct '09, so will get a lot more young kids for the various shows and programs.

Display so far:

Built out a few more space telescopes while waiting for maintenance to install the structural parts to rig the ISS to. They already have the Hubble (Ton's intermediate) and James Webb Space Telescope (modified NASA version). Adding (all about 1:50 scale):

COROT - ESA Infra-red planet finder (ESA model)

Spitzer - NASA Infra-red telescope (NASA model from Landsbergen)

SWIFT - NASA gamma-ray observatory (replaces Compton de-orbited in 2000). Simple NASA model from Italy orginally.

Working up a few more for them as well. Update on the 8-foot ISS after installation - then I should probably organize a decent build thread and post the files ...

20. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

How it's hanging ...

The International Space Station has achieved orbit at about 18 feet in the lobby of the Pensacola Junior College Planetarium. Took about 5 hours to install the rigging in the lobby, then assemble and loft the station.

I'll post the files - no instructions included but does have diagrams of the station and detail on building the support armature. It's a simple build but will require some detailed study of the ISS (see NASA) and some thought about how the parts assemble. Cans are just a two-part cylinder and two end conics. Truss is hexagonal or square prisms - two part body with a cap on each end.

File is undergoing interrogation in the moderation queue - having problems uploading pictures to go with it. I'll try later ...? And - the pix are up after some fiddling.