YMjr. Design McLaren M8a

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by DavidESP, Jun 6, 2007.

1. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

This is the first time I have built a paper model of a car, I have built a few ships though, so what the heck.

The model was downloaded from http://www.ymjr.cz/mclarenm8down and is of very high resolution with excellent detail of the parts both interior and exterior. The printout with my Epson Stylus DX3800 on the high quality text/graphics setting was excellent. Only complaint here is the graphics are crammed very tight on each of the 3 pages, making it a little difficult to cut out the parts.

The written instructions are in Czech but there is an instruction drawing that helps locate where the parts go.

Will post some photos of the completed cockpit next.

2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Thanks for the link. I especially like the instructions for the roll cage in the instruction pdf for the Ferrari - very funny stuff!
  3. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Some Photos

Here are some details of the cockpit before assembly.
  4. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Here is the cockpit and fuel cells assembled. Everything went together quite well. I recommend gluing the small cylinder in the left fuel cell after cockpit is together.
    Everything so far, has been put together in numerical order.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Really like those details, keep up the good work!
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Coming together nicely! Keep up the good work - and thanks for the link, I dont think I have seen that one!
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice top see a racecar build thread for a change.
  8. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Thanks for the comments. I'm sorting out the front suspension right now. It seems that there are 2 ways to build it, the wheels can be made to rotate in both, but one also allows the front wheels to turn left and right. As I go along, I'm writing out what I do, and hopefully create instructions in English and Spanish as that is my second language.
  9. Personally, I prefer the look of turned front wheels on a static display model car. Makes the car look like it's doing something. Of course, if the tire treads are lacking in detail, all bets are off. Your McLaren is looking good BTW. I'm following along with interest.
  10. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

I built one of the ymjr.cz Lancia Stratos' with the poseable wheels and it came out quite well. The friend I gave it to was very impressed.
  11. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Well, I got the steering completed using the poseable setup. Didn't come out as clean as I wanted, but it looks ok. It will be hidden by the body in any case, although I'm going to attempt to make the body at least partially, if not completely removable.

Learned some lessons for the Ferrari 312 model thats next up.
  12. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Been a few days and time for an update.

First is the front radiator by itself and attached. If anyone is following this while constructing the model, there are two small pieces (#43) that fit inside the radiator housing, put them in before you glue the inner box together, fit easier that way.

Last pic is the engine and rear suspension parts. I used a Q-tip stick cut to the size of part 71 for the rear axle.

Rear end together in next post.
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I have been wanting to build this one, thanks for the reference thread, yours looks great!!
  14. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Been busy and haven't spent much time with the model. Here are some shots of the wheel/tire parts, and the chassis with the wheels attached.

Starting to cut out the body parts now.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Lookin good! retired and in southern spain and you dont have much time? Work on it during siesta :)
  16. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Sun Prairie, I used to drive by there allot when I was stationed at Great Lakes Naval Base and went up north to visit my family. My brothers still live in Superior. Last time I was through there was September of last year. Back in the states visiting.

I stay pretty busy over here. The wife has lots of family in southern Spain, and we are often traveling.

Thanks for the comments.

17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

My wife is from southern France and we go over to visit nearly every year - this year they are coming here though.... Beautiful country! We are usually in the Marseille area when we come over.

I have been to Rota in spain and thats about it. Flew through there on the way to pick up my ship in sicily :)
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's the problem with this model. It so so cool inside you really need to make two chassis, one to enjoy the inneer beauty and the other for the "whole" car. Fantastic build.
  19. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Not much has happened, was away for the weekend so not much done. Started cutting out the body, but made some mistakes with the alignment of some of the parts so I've reprinted using a higher gloss card stock and photo quality. Looks much nicer.
    I'm going to use the damaged parts to see if the model can be made with removable body parts. If it works then I'll put together the reprint.
    Pictures tomorrow if I get far enough.
  20. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

I like much your work, the car this being very well, your images serve as refencia for future projects.
    I want to see finished soon it.

Un saludo