Yet another switcher ID

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jon-monon, Nov 11, 2002.

1. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Any idea what this is? [​IMG]

Besides mine (just won them on e-bay, old AHMs)

I am interseted in what the prototype manufacturer/model was if anyone has a clue....
  2. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Awwwww Jon, you know me, I'm clueless !!! :D :D

Wouldn't surprise me if they were experimental units from yon Gecko's you spoke of. :D

Joking aside, they may even be models of European prototypes.

3. msh

msh Member

Those have got to be MTL Weebles.
    I'd bet they don't fall down! :D ;) :p
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

They do look kinda euro, eh? Wait 'till you get to ride in Mrs. Knudsons new :rolleyes: , cute :eek: 15 tonner! It will be a hoot to sneak out, late at night, after we hit the malt! :cool: Cute lil' bugger's jest beeg 'nuff to pull the 'shine wagon around!
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Oh, they'lll fall down, after a bit of malt! :D :D :D
  6. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

I read somwhere they were based on a GE industrial loco. I just can't remember where I read it though.
  7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Back at the last Hustler Speed Competition some Eastern European contestants entered those!!! The Albanian Team placed third!!!:D :D :D

Seriously Jon, When you get them I think you will find that most likely they were made by/for Lima Model Co. in Chezslovokia. I think Errol is right....they're European prototype lettered for US roads which doesn't matter because industrial locos came in all shapes and sizes anyway.
  8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hey Jon,
    I've been noticing that switchers seem to be your thing. How many do you have on the roster and is your layout an industrial switching theme? Those little locos are pretty cool!
  9. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

You know, I think YOU should have to do the homework whenever you buy one of these things.:D With my compulsion for having to know what something is, I go crazy trying to ID the suckers (he, he)... :confused:
    With the offset cab, they do bear a slight resemblance to an old GE 30 tonner, but those had dual trucks if I remember correctly. The GE's cab stood well above the hoods and they also had louvers on all the hood doors, not just on the ends. If anyone recognizes a better prototypical European model, I would very much like to know what it is. A picture would be REALLY nice...:D

Tom F
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Thanks Russ, Vic, Errol. Ralph, yes I'm addicted to critters:

2 Unidentified Fun Objects (that started this thread)
    2 Plymouth MDT's (plus one in the mail)
    1 Plymouth CR-4 (Just a shell, looking for a power truck) (Kato?)
    1 Athern Hustler
    1 SW-1500
    1 15 ton Mack
    1 0-4-0 w/tender
    1 0-4-0 dockside
    1 0-6-0 w/tender
    1 other unidentified, looks too big to be HO scale, looks plasticy and fake, semi-MDT looking, reday to be butchered, power truck donor for the CR-4

I have or will have bids on DDT's and some other wierd old stuff like this and this. I missed this one. A lot of the cool stuff goes up and out of my range, and I don't pay much for the common stuff (MDT's, DDT's, Hustlers), because you can get them for 3 to 5 bucks if you are patient. DDT's can be bought new for $20.

One of the MDT's was my first engine ~30 years ago :)

No layout as of yet, but I am planning a lot of industry, logging and mountainous, NG like stuff. Kind of like a Shamus layout but more modern (transition), in combonation with a main line and not nearly as good ;) Shamus thinks he's starting the logging forum; actually it will be the critter forum, it will just say logging on the title :D :D :D

Thanks to you too Tom, for your input. Effective immeadiatly I will PM you, e-mail you and put you name in the subj line on such posts, just to keep you on your toes
    :D :D :D
  11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

BTW: I'll put up a pic as soon as I have them in hand. Geez, I'm an addict, I'll be up to 12! Just realized that when I read my roster :eek:
  12. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I remember seeing something like those, or pretty close to those doing switching work in Wurzburg, Germany, when I was stationed there in the early eighties. I don't remember them being painted in SOO or UP colors though.
  13. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

The Walthers 2000 catalogue (I gotta get me a new one Iif I can only remember at the start, not finish of each year) has them listed under IHC as 348-500 to 348-506 'center cab diesel'.
  14. brakie

brakie Active Member

I think that is suppose to be a center cab locomotive made by the Plymouth Locomotive Co.. I think it is, and please do not hold me to this, based on the Plymouth 35 tonner...
  15. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I can usually track these rascals down once I have a few leads. Once I have them in hand, I will try to get a positive ID and post a pic and what they are, at least in my mind :D Thanks...
  16. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

New Addition to the family

And then there was another:

Attached Files:

17. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

No question on that one, it's a Plymouth, an earlier model and closer to 'S' than 'HO', but still a Plymouth.