Yet another Fokker E.III

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Romanator, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Romanator

Romanator Member

Okay, I'm sure you guys have had enough of the free Fokkers from the modele kartonowe site, but I thought I would annoy everyone anyway and post my [ almost finished ] Eindecker.

For the engine, I used drops of glue for the bolts (not as good as I hoped). I put cooling holes in the Spandau gun, but it took me 3 times to get it right! :mrgreen: still not perfect though.

I ran out of silver Sharpie I used to make the metal effects, so that's what's holding my project up for now. (I just need to repair the landing skid and build the prop ) Hopefully, it will be finished by the end of the summer.

Well, here are pics, I hope someone hasn't had enough the Free Fokkers already! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Romanator

Romanator Member

More pics (the limit for me is six at a time).

Attached Files:

3. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

One can never have 'too many' Fokkers. Yours is a well-executed model.
  4. Romanator

Romanator Member

Not really as good as many of the models i've seen built on this site, but it's one in which I've improved.
    by the way, I found the silver sharpies at a vons store, so maybe I'll start finishing it.
  5. Fred Bultman

Fred Bultman Member

Nothing to be ashamed of. Well done. You should finish it Good tip, I didnt know there were silver Sharpies. thx
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Fokker E.III from model Modele Kartonowe (Card Plane)

Very well done, Romanator,

One of the best Fokker Eindecker card model builds I´ve seen from the Modele Kartonowe kits. I like your Parabellum machine gun with the cooling holes in it. The rotary Oberursel U.I engine is also very nice, with all the push rods in place.

And the cockpit looks very good, although there weren´t as many intruments, at least not on the 'dashboard', in the original plane (Card Plane has actually made a designing error here) - the instruments were arranged on the sides of the cockpit. This is a Proctor Enterprises 1:4 scale 'cellon'-covered RC model, showing a very clean dashboard:

I didn´t know about the silver Sharpie, either - could you please post a picture of it, so I know what to ask for here in Sweden? Thanks.

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :thumb:
  7. redhorse

redhorse Member

That looks really good Romanator. Actually, I haven't seen one of these built up. It's a nice looking kit!
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I bought a pack of the silver sharpies - they are SWEET! :)
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

The 'Old' Fokker E. III Thread

Hi Redhorse,

A couple of years ago, we had quite an active thread when the new Modele Kartonowe / CardPlane Fokker E.III models were released. In particular, Richard Schulten, who also designed the scheme of the captured Fokker E.III Nr. 210/16 with British markings (btw, the only original Fokker E.III in existence, now in the Science Museum, in London), has several very nice pictures in this thread of his completed models. He also designed a new addition part for the engine cowling and several rotary engine models (in particular, Oberursel Ur.I), which go together well with these models.

Here is a link to one of the later pages:

And here is another link to Richard Schulten´s model scheme designs (for the original CardPlane designs), which also includes his French Morane-Saulnier type N design:

Here is the link to the wonderful free Fokker E.III models:

Good luck!
    Bengt :thumb:
  10. Romanator

Romanator Member

Thanks everyone for your input, and sorry I havn't been able to get back to this thread in a while.

Bengt Fredén, thanks for the picture! Now if only I had it sooner :rolleyes: I can see where I could have modified the gun and other details.

I also put in a fuel tank like in the photo, but it's not visible at all, and it was a pain to place in too. oh well. I used Richard's engine for my model, but I had to trace it onto index cards because I no longer had access to a color printer (it's ok anyway, because I painted it silver too)

I'm having trouble uploading this time. But they are just like normal black Sharpie pens with felt tips. The difference is that the caps are silver, and there isn't a clip on the cap. You should be able to find them in office supply stores ( they aren't really a standard hobby item )

They are very helpful for planes with bare metal like the E.III or Modele Kartonowe's Wx-Z. But they smell terrible; worse than normal sharpie pens.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

12. Romanator

Romanator Member

Yes, Perfect

I'd like to see how your models will turn out with it