Yesterday's Future Today

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Billy Leliveld, Dec 27, 2006.

1. In the original they want you to leave the white paper between te lower part and the rope ( see the picture on page 1 of this thread)
    So I used the underside of the fence, used black paperclips cut to size for the poles, real rope and now it looks like this..

Attached Files:

2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Nice improvement! I'd always thought that the railings were a weak point in the finish of this model's design and you've done a fine job of getting past it!
  3. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Fantastic work Billy.. I also have this kit from the special, and your photos will be a big help when I get around to the build.. Great job with the photos also.

4. Building a model and posting a tread at the same time just doubles the fun..:grin:
  5. Started the rigging..
    I'll probably will finish this weekend

Attached Files:

6. I found out that you have to make the same knot on every point where it attaches to the mast and the railing, otherwise the angle of the rope will change and that is very visible with 37 masts..
    Here's the knot on the railing..

Attached Files:

7. And here the top of the mast

Attached Files:

8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

This is sweet. Nice job.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi Billy,

I second that, Dave - this is expert level precision. Very inspirational.

Keep up the good work.
    Bengt :D
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great! Beautiful build and great thread! Not to mention the top notch photos of your awesome model! Thanks!
  11. Ok.. It's not finished, but I could'nd resist showing of a bit

Attached Files:

12. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

How cool is that!? What a great model! And a fantastic build!
  13. Well.. I'm done with the rigging, had to go back to the modelshop to get some more rope, I used more than 20 meter sofar.
    Tip for anyone who wants to build this , do the rigging of the 7 highest masts first, saves you a lot of fumbling with tweezers...
    Another thing, I used 1mm thick rope, It lookes alright, but I would recommend a little bit thinner rope, like 0,75 or 0.60 mm
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Oh, she's just simply beautiful, Billy!:)

For some reason, rigging size is often a problem with ship models, seems it always looks better using a smaller size, but I think your rigging job came out wonderfully!

I love the photo you took outside! Up, up and away!:grin:

Great job, Billy, and thanks for all the beautiful photos you treated us to!

15. Yeh Jim, This is the first 'shiplike' model I've build, I'm more an airplane-guy, but I like to do some side-steps now and then..
    Thanks for all the nice comments ( all of you guys )
    Cheers, Billy
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Robur The Conqueror´s 'Albatros' Air Ship

Wonderful, Billy!

The photo with the sihouette against the sky is just breathtaking. Makes you think about Jules Verne´s novel.
    You have done a marvellous job of the rigging, which seems to be quite complicated on this model. I like the idea that you used real rope - it´s very convincing up close.

Are you going to put this beauty in a luminated high glass vitrine all by itself? It really deserves it. It is a very fine card model, now that it is almost completed. I´d really like to build this model myself.

Thank you for this very interesting thread - one of the best.

Best regards,
    Bengt :D
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful! What a fantastic work of art, Billy!

Jules would be proud!:grin:

18. gippolot

gippolot Member

That photo of the sillouette is quite spectacular Billy. :) :) Would make a great wallpaper.
  19. There was still something about this model what I didn't like, it's maybe a small thing, but the light blue colour of the windows made it look very 'cardboardish' Of course it is cardboard, but when I looked at other shipmodels the windows are mostly black, so that's what I did..
    To me it looks better now
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

20. plasticman

plasticman Member

OOoooooh! Dribble, dribble and yet again, dribble!!
    Wonderful. Truly wonderful! Be proud of yourself my friend, truly a work of art.
    Now, all you have to do is make sure the dog, or cat, does NOT chew it, slobber it or pee on it!!:grin: