Yesterday's Future Today

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Billy Leliveld, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Robur The Conqueror´s 'Albatros' Air Ship

Hi rmks2000 and Billy,

On the subject of steering the Albatros:

It has been quite a while ago now that I read Jules Verne´s story of the amazing Albatros (forty years or so) but I seem to remember that it had to do with either altering the rotation or changing the RPMs on either of the rows of fifteen propellors on the starboard or port side of the ship.
    I´m not completely sure about this, though.

I can imagine that a thing like this would work like a huge helicopter, although I am pretty sure that the propellors would have to much, much bigger for a ship of this considerable size. They would probably also have to be counter-rotating, which means that the air flow of the starboard row of props would have to be mirrored to the ones on the port side. I imagine that the idea of the seven props that were arranged in the middle where mainly to provide a powerful lifting capability. This is probably one of the first ideas of a multi-engined helicopter. However, Leonardo DaVinci made a drawing for a helicopter already in the 16th century.

This thing is really fascinating, isn´t it?
    The closest thing I can relate to is the huge Russian helicopters - I have experienced one up close on a climbing expedition to Peak Lenin in the late 80s on the Afghanistan border. They are really massive machines.

If anyone has the time to explore this interesting subject further, here´s a link to the online eBook "Robur The Conqueror" by Jules Verne:

All the best,
    Bengt :D

PS. I found this text from the original book (a translation from French), which tells us that the Albatros was in fact a huge card model - see blue foot note nr 3:

Another of Jules Verne´s machine inventions - the Nautilus sub, from "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea":

Btw, here´s a card model of the author himself:
  2. Thanks Bengt for all those links, I realy enjoy this, that's where this forum is made for, and I always like that backgound information on the model I'm building.
    In the meantime I've been putting up all the masts, that are the 7 main and the 30! other..
    it's a secure job , because they have to be exactly the same hight and allignment , and they move in all directions,and I don't want it to end up like a cardboard hedgehogg.
    i found out that when you glue them in and wait a few minutes ,you can put them in the right position before the glue realy settles..

Attached Files:

3. I'm doing the propellors All 74 of them...
    Here' a tip if someone is going to build this model; put the propellors on the masts before you glue them on the deck; It's quit hard to do when they are already in place, it take considerable force to get the pins in the wooden sticks. I use a needle from a sewingmachine (which is a little bit thicker than a pin) to make the hole...

Attached Files:

4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Robur The Conqueror´s 'Albatros' Air Ship

Hi Billy,

Very good looking propellers!

5. cjd

cjd Member

If you have one, a microdrill would do a very good job.

6. Yeh, good idea . I have one..
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If you could get all those props working you have one helluva egg beater!! As usual, nice job!.
  8. I like them stirred, not shaken...
    Cheers, Billy
  9. Took me most of the day but they are all on..

Attached Files:

10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very cool, indeed! Nice work!

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I second that, Russel - WOW! :-o

You´ve really outdone yourself on this one - very impressive. I like the way you´ve been able to align all the masts perfectly.
    It looks very, very good with all the masts and props in place - a beauty.

Keep up the good work, Billy,

All the best,
  12. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Great job! I love the look of this model, even more so than the wooden models I've seen. Very unique and cool model!
  13. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

thats what cape cod is going to look like when they install the wind farm
    down at Chatum Bay. Ha Ha
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Now that's a unique and very interesting model, Billy!

It's coming out brilliantly, tremendous job on the seemingly endless number of props. It really shows how there are probably no limits to what can be done in paper modeling. I'm so glad I came across this build thread, it's very interesting and entertaining.

You are doing a wonderful job! I also love the style of the model, the penned in shading, it fits quite well with the idea of what this model is about.

Looking forward to more!

15. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I think I need to develop my paper modeling skills a bit more before I try this one, but i'd sure like to see this one hanging from the ceiling in my office!
  16. Well... I don't think this is a very difficult model to build, it's just a lot of the same with the propellors,and a little patience with the alignment of those masts... if you rate for instance dr Zarkof's/Halinski or Kampfliegers models at 5, for me this would be a 3..
    Cheers, Billy
  17. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello Billy,

You've built a wonderful model. Excellent craftsmanship on your part. How will you display it?

Steve Austin
  18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

WOW. The work on the mast's is amazing. This model must be entered in the next competion.
  19. For now it's sitting between an osprey and an YB 49 on top of my showcase, but I intend to give it a little vitrine when I'm finished
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

20. I didn't like the look of the banisters, which looked like this;

Attached Files: