Yellow Tank MT-01

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by RichB in AZ, Jun 18, 2007.

1. RichB in AZ

RichB in AZ New Member

I'm a newbie to the site and almost didn't post this after seeing Pipy's excellent model making skills with his version of the Yamaha MT-01. Seriously, he should be in the buisness of doing those arcitechtural facades on buildings etc.

I'm fairly new to paper model making and this has been the most challenging model to date for me. I think it took about 170 hours total, but I only timed the first of the 5 sections. There were quite a few snags during the build where I had to go back and redo a few parts, add shims to short parts and force a few things, specially during the assembly.

I tried to do the model at 100% scale so that meant not printing the page directly, but using the pdf capture feature. Otherwise it would have been a 91% size model. So the attached picture (hope it works) is a 100% scale.
    I did change a couple of parts to Yellow as I thought the black bike was a bit too black for me.

I put some pictures on this site too...

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great looking build! You did an awesome job, so don't be intimidated! How about a couple of more pics! Thanks!

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looks great to me! Excellent job!

I do like your yellow parts much better also!

Welcome to the forum, Richy!

4. RichB in AZ

RichB in AZ New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys, appreciate it.
    The only other photo's I have are on the yahoo link in the 1st post. I can take more from different angles if you need close ups... specially if someone is building this now and is getting stuck.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super! I think you did a great job and a little recolor to boot :) nothing beats personalizing to your own tastes :)
  6. pipy

pipy Member

this is really excellent job, the color of the tank and front fender is very glaring! have you recolored the frame and rear arm?
  7. RichB in AZ

RichB in AZ New Member

Thanks again.
    The yellow and black are known as the "bumble bee" colors for Yamaha. I think it used to be their racing colors from years ago. All the bikes for sale this year seem to be black or dark. I hope that trend ends soon.

Actually, I didn't recolor the swing arm and frame, it all just seemed to come out black or near black. The center tread band in the pdf tire file is also mismatched in color and was hard to change to get even close. Then because I printed it pale, the tread pattern vanished.

Almost forgot...the wife was cleaning the house today and knocked it off the shelf. Now I have some handlebars to re-attach. Time for a display case, or curio cabinet I think.