Yay! It's here!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I finally got my replacement P2K 0-6-0.

It arrived Friday, and is definitely the engine that I thought I had purchased some time ago. Problem with the original was a loud grinding noise that was loudest at switching speed - not good. I was prepared to be very disappointed with the line.

However, just got the replacement from Hobbycraft Canada and it is incredibly quiet and smooth. With my MRC TechII 2400 I can make it creep - taking more than 5 seconds to move from one tie to the next. And it is dead quiet! Pulls a decent number of cars up my steep grades too.

Andrew

While even a Cadillac can turn out to be a lemon, P2K has been a nice surprise in the HO field. What size are the drivers on the 0-6-0?

Greg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by Greg Elems
What size are the drivers on the 0-6-0?

I don't know exactly... They are pretty small, so I am going to guess maybe 53" (I really have no idea...)? Mine is lettered for CN, but I don't know what the prototype had.

Will do some more checking for you, including measuring the drivers. I'll post a follow-up later...!

Andrew

Lighthorseman

All Riiiiiight!

Andrew, a perfect locomotive for pushing those colourful reefers and outside-braced boxcars about. Great choice!:)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by grlakeslogger
I like the weathering on the water tank !!! Nice locos need nice settings for their work. --Stu--

Thanks Stu! Here are some more pictures of the water tank, in case you haven't seen them.

I like your handle and your "tag line" - have you seen any of the material about JR Booth and logging in Algonquin. I saw a great "Ghost Towns of Canada" episode on TVO the other day about that very thing...

Andrew

REPLY TO MasonJar

No, Andrew, I've not seen any of the Booth material. Down here in the States, we do get to see some logging (like Cass) and some great logging model railroads (like the Columbia Gorge Club's system in Washington State) on Public Television's "Tracks Ahead" program. Actually, the show is put together at the PTV station in Milwaukee, about an hour from my home. The late and much missed Chuck Zehner originated the concept and supervised production during his recent life. Chuck and I would run into each other at NMRA divisional meets, and we'd always find a half hour to catch up over coffee.

Thanks, and I will keep my eyes open for the Booth material.
--Stu--

Ben H

Mason Jar congrats they are great engines - I love my two P2K 0-8-0 the only change was to put in DCC.

That was until I recently purchased two tenders for the P2K 0-6-0. These have electrical pick-ups on the tender trucks.

I removed the tender bodies from each 0-8-0, removed the DCC chip and re-installed the DCC on the 0-6-0 tender chassis and then put the 0-8-0 tender body on the 0-6-0 chassis and Bob your Uncle I have electric pick-ups on the engine and on the tenders of both of my P2K 0-8-0. Makes sure that no matter which turnouts they go thru electrical contact is right there.

Cost was only a little less than the electrical pick-up kit that was supposedly available for the 0-8-0 and the install time was about 90% less.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Ben H...

I have heard that that is a popular conversion project. Why Proto doesn't put pickups in the tender for the 0-8-0, I don't know. I have also been told that the 0-6-0 tender is more prototypical for certain roads as well...

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Stu...

Here are a few links to start you off... Booth was one of the biggest (if not the biggest) industrialists to come out of Ottawa. For the time, he was about as rich as Bill Gates apparently...

He had among other things, railways and tiumber operations in Ontario from Ottawa, up the valley and across to Georgian Bay, where Depot Harbour is/was located.

http://www.ghosttownpix.com/ontario/towns/depot.shtml

http://www.muskoka.com/archives/depoth2.htm

If you'd like to know more, let me know. Depot Harbour would make a great terminus for a point to point layout. It is on my list for consideration for the next layout ;)

Andrew