Yard Tower Lights

SP20906

Do they have streetlights for the crew to see @ night or special lights like light towers?

Something like this tower?

:confused:

Thanks

SP20906

Attachments

• TIM_5606.JPG
    TIM_5606.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 196

b28_82

In some yards they do. Definately in armstrong Towers. My dad works at a couple towers up near Chicago and theres definately lights in them

SP20906

b28_82 said:
In some yards they do. Definately in armstrong Towers. My dad works at a couple towers up near Chicago and theres definately lights in them

Dad put a light inside of the tower, but I was wondering if maybe they had a streetlight or something [here it is in the dark - if it will turn out];

First tower has no lights except @ the top, the lower one has lights that look like it lights up the parking lot.

Attachments

• TIM_5607.JPG
    TIM_5607.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 196
  • TIM_5608.JPG
    TIM_5608.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 189

interurban

All you do is go to your own profile find the post and click :thumb:
The mail telling you of the reply also has the link, it takes you right there.

shaygetz

Are you looking for a yard control tower? This tower would be used more often at a road crossing in the city or a busy built up area to give the operator a better view of oncoming trains. The occupant would operate pneumatic crossing gates from this vantage point. Less dangerous locations would have him on the ground, again running the gates or standing in the crossing with a flag or stop sign. Hope this helps a little.

SP20906

shaygetz said:
Are you looking for a yard control tower? This tower would be used more often at a road crossing in the city or a busy built up area to give the operator a better view of oncoming trains. The occupant would operate pneumatic crossing gates from this vantage point. Less dangerous locations would have him on the ground, again running the gates or standing in the crossing with a flag or stop sign. Hope this helps a little.

I got my tower [first picture were it looks like a tree house] @ the greenburg (http://www.greenbergshows.com/) train show. Dad put a light in it, but was wondering if a light in the parking lot would help or not? Who knows maybe they did not ever have towers like that but then again railroads did not built towers for looks, but for needs. I should have looked closer @ the tower to see if it has lights or even if it would work on my layout instead of getting the first one I saw [they had 1 tower that looked like a 2 story building & this lady friend [in the past apartment building were I lived] had a train station with a yard tower as part of the station. I gave dad 1 of my big towers that looked more like a traffic control tower you see @ airports. It looked like it could hold 10 workers. But now dad built me a big 7 track car [passenger/frieght] repair yard. So I am using this tower for both the enging yard [2 tracks + engine house & the car repair yard. I do not think dad would want me to take it down, so I do not know if I should have a streetlight in the parking lot or not. :confused:

shaygetz

SP20906 said:
I do not think dad would want me to take it down, so I do not know if I should have a streetlight in the parking lot or not. :confused:

You already have it next to a grade crossing so you really wouldn't have to take it down. As for a street lite, yes by all means put one in. Dash10 has a good thread on how to make them from LEDs that are practically burnout proof.

Blessings, BC

SP20906

shaygetz said:
You already have it next to a grade crossing so you really wouldn't have to take it down. As for a street lite, yes by all means put one in. Dash10 has a good thread on how to make them from LEDs that are practically burnout proof.

Blessings, BC

Thanks already e-maild my dad about antother street light for the yard, btw that grad crossing is for the yard.