Yard planning help needed

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I like the idea of a return loop for your plan Val. Train Clown's first diagram really appleals to me as a solution. Nice graphics, btw TC! I see a lot of staging advantages over a point to point scheme and you'll also be able to send a train out and back from the industrial switching area if you want...the closest thing to continuous running. Sometimes its just fun to watch a train move. :)
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot Brakie - it looks great!! I like the way you worked in an interchange with CN, although I'm going to change that to the CP track and the yard is CN. I also like that I won't need a small fortune in turnouts!!

:thumb: Val

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
A little more about the Beaver Creek Ry.The layout concept is totally Vals..I just added 3 different yards ideas for her to mull over..
Now while I was doing the yards I started to think how I would improve this layout to my tastes.Being a big short line fan I wanted to see what I could do in that regard using a point to point design like Val's since I like that open running between the yard and industries since this puts "miles" between the two points.A very clever idea.:D So the Beaver Creek Ry was born.
The history.
This industrial branch was once part of PRR then PC then CR and finally NS after the NS/CSX buyout of Conrail.This branch was sold in 1998 under the Thoroughbred short line program to the Greater Dayton Port Authority.The GDPA looked for a railroad to operate this section of track and serve the industries of the Miami Valley Industrial Park Association located outside of Beaver Creek.The winning contract went to CDB Industries.This company is the parent company of 7 short lines to include the C&HV Ry.Operations commence on this line in 1998 after some yard track was laid and upgrading of track where needed.
Locomotives.
The CDBI chose to use 2 EMD SW1500s for motive power.These are exNS units bought used from NS.Any EMD Switcher or Geep could be use as well as Alcos,Baldwins or FMs depending on your tastes.For steam I would use a 0-6-0T,a small 2-6-0 or a small 2-8-0.There would be no need to turn the engine as it can return to the yard tender first-not uncommon in the days of steam on short lines or intercity industrial locals or transfer runs.
Operation.
I designed the upgraded layout with day to day modern short line operations in mind so,with that thought I decided it was not necessary to switch each industry during a operation session A typical switch job could be 1-7 cars long as per traffic and customer demands.Sometimes it could be no more then a light engine move to pick up outbound cars ready for pickup at the industries.
Type of cars needed..My preference would mostly boxcars,covered hoppers and tank cars..Of course any type of car could be use to suit your tastes..
Industries: I have not put much thought into this for the time being but any type of industry found in a industrial park would work..
I got the idea for using SW1500s from these photos posted by Papa Bear..

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9004

Please scroll down and check these pictures out...

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Sounds neat Brakie. I'm assuming based on the 2 ft. width you mentioned in the chat that you're going to have mainly flats and/or very shallow industries.

I'd like to reccommend the City Classics building components. They're a curtain-wall design and you can build as wide and tall as you want. I've used them extensively to make a background building on my industrial area.

Val