Yard Lighting

Richard Gude

May 31, 2005
Does anybody know if the the 1940's and 50's city freight yards had lighting in places other than the engine servicing areas? If so, what kind of lights were used??????????????

I doubt that if used,they would have had globes. I think they were an "umbrella" style. They were kind of shaped like a ladies broad brimmed hat with an exposed bulb. I was planning on these for my service areas. I have found some in Walthers but they are mounted with the shade at an angle to the ground rather than parallel to the ground. What other suppliers are likley to have this type of operating light?

Let me explain. I have an 11 track stub yard with uncoupler magnets. Before ballasting I decided to use brakewmen to mark the locations. This works OK and looks well until I park cars on the tracks. Then the brakemen figures cannit be seen. The control panel is in front of and parallel to this stub yard. The fact that the table is 50" high also contributes to the visual isolation. I was thinking of replacing several with power poles as they lie in a straight line. The others are a prroblem I have to come up with something reasonably prototypical but high enough to see. In this case I am thinking about operating lights on poles. Any suggestions?

Thanks, rich

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
As I remember. the yards in Seattle and Everett, WA were not very well lit. What lighting there was, was incandescent bulbs around buildings and work spaces. The big tower lights came along in the 60's sometime with the advent of mercury vapor lighting.