Yard layouts

babydot94513

Member in training
Does anyone know of a publication that has only track plans for yard operations? I have an unusual situation in which I need ideas on how to create a rather large yard for approx 40 cars in a smaller space than I like.

Tyson Rayles

Don't know of any such pub. but if you know anybody who has MR's Model Railroad Planning mags, they have plans on yards in every issue.

marty w.

May I suggest "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong, published by Kalmbach Books.
Great book. I refer to it all the time.
Marty

babydot94513

Member in training
Thanks for the suggestion.

My problem is that I have roughly, 30 inches by 120 inches of real estate to work with and that gives me a limited number of solutions.

I must have a receiving lead and departure lead that can handle a 12 car +/- consist on top of which can handle approx 40 cars in the yard at the same time.

That requirement makes for a difficult situation. I am sure there is a solution and track plans will help.

jon-monon

A little lunchtime doodling :D :D :D Compliments of P-K Engineering Co. :D :D :D

6" per division

Of course you could do as you wish, but my thinking at the time of scratching it out on the electronic napkin:

Red: Mainline
Blue: holds the 12 cars
Purple: hold the other 45 cars (there are 55 9" sections)

Attachments

• yards.jpg
    yards.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 458

babydot94513

Member in training
Jon, thanks!

This has definately got me thinking a whole new way. I have sent the file to work and will print it out tomorrow and see if I can transpose this to my freeware RTS file.

Appreciate the suggestion. If this is do-able, I suspect you will want the yard named after you!!!

jon-monon

You're welcome! I have it in RTS and I can e-mail it to you tomorrow. I don't think you would be able to import it because it's all one layer now. If I can see your e-mail in your profile I'll go ahead and send it. If not you could post your e-mail acct. My listed acct is dead I think :(

jon-monon

Rich, I doubled up for the weekend! :D :D :D

babydot, I have another yard layout idea I might try to scratch out at lunch today. I'll go ahead and e-mail it too. Might not be until Monday, as I will be off-line all weekend :(

jon-monon

babydot sent me this revision of his yards scheme. Looks great to me, what do you guys think? As I told him on my e-mail reply, I don't know squat about RR ops, so maybe some of you guys who do all that can point him in the right direction. His first post or two lists the requirements, besides the dimmensions. Rock on babydot! 12"/divsion.

Attachments

• yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 361