Yamaha Motorcycles scale question

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by rickstef, Jul 12, 2004.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I have a question about the scale on the various bikes
    What is it?

I am interested in the tool sets, for a diorama.

eagerly awaiting an answer

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good question...., anyone up to measuring a wheel diameter on the full sized model?

Best, Gil
  3. silverw

silverw Member

4. charliec

charliec Active Member

On the YZF-R1 model - measuring the brake disks gives a scale of about 1:7.3 - assuming the modelled real bike has 298 mm diameter front disks and 240 mm rear disk. The later YZF's (after 2002) had bigger front disks and a smaller rear disk.

5. zealousy

zealousy Member

I think it was 1:8. But who cares, I love looking at the handiwork on my desk :)
  6. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

The Yamaha tool set "add-on" is definitely not in scale with the bikes, so these would have to be modified regardless if you plan on using them. If that is what you were thinking.
  7. alang

alang Member

Comparing my models with published size data over the years, I get reasonable correspondence with a scale of 1:7 (except for the MT-01, of course, which is known to be 1:5.5). It is fairly clear, though, that details are adjusted to look "right", so brake disc (or even wheel) diameters for example will vary somewhat from this.

But as virajmperera says, who cares? They are great models.

8. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Roger that !!!!! Very good models indeed and way fun to build!
  9. zealousy

zealousy Member

Any word they are releasing any new models? Only the MT-1 and the R1 seem to have extensive detail...Even the M1 is quite simple in it's build...the Vmax and the DSC simply look a bit boxy for me....they are great models regardless but I'd love to see more detailed models from the Yammies....They released the 2009 spec line up recently including the R1 o_O (god I love that bike) Hopefully they'll have it on paper :)
  10. alang

alang Member

Most years a new motorcycle model has appeared on the Japanese-language web page in mid- to late-November, with no warning. It comes to the English-language page about two weeks later.

We shall just have to be patient for another six weeks or so!

11. zealousy

zealousy Member

And so we wait........Any time now Yammies....LOL :D