Yamaha motorcycle questions

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by rickstef, Mar 27, 2005.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I am itching to start one of the Yamaha motorcycles, but I have some questions.

To those who have built the cycles at their original file size.
    What type of paper did you use?
    cardstock, plain paper, photopaper?

To those who have reduced the cycles.
    the paper question still holds,
    also, did you run into fit problems?

I haven't made up my mind as to which route i want to go.

Thanks in advance

2. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Well I started building the YZF-R1 a few years ago. I didn't finish it however. I was nearing the half way point when I stopped. I used regular printer papar (about 20lbs./22lbs I think) So far as I could tell it did the job just fine. Everything fit great, and I didn't find any areas that really needed any more support from a thicker paper. Although, I did not complete the model, so I cannot say for certain whether the paper could have held the entire weight of the completed model without buckling. There's my two cents anyways.
  3. rowiac

rowiac Member

I built the YZF-R1 and the DSC-11 bikes a couple of years ago. By coincidence, I just started the new YZR-M1 racing bike a few days ago.

I used Wasau Exact Index 110# (199gsm) card stock and printed them at 100% on an HP 4550 color laser printer. This paper is .009" [0.23mm] thick. The models went together well with this paper and they are strong enough to stand some handling.

If you are going to reduce the model you could try the 90# Exact Index, which is about .007" [0.18mm] thick, or something even thinner, depending on how much you reduce it.

If you are into motorcycles at all, I highly recommend the Yamaha models. I would recommend using a piece of clear sheet for the windshield (if the model you are bulding has one) and making a simple modification to allow the handlebars to pivot so you can get a more natural stance for the bike on its kickstand. I also thought about making the kickstand go up and down but I never got that far.

4. silverw

silverw Member

5. rowiac

rowiac Member

FYI: 65# cover stock is about the same weight as 90# index stock (assuming that's the type of paper Bill used). They have metric basis weights of 175g/m2 and 165g/m2 respectively, so the 65# cover is probably slightly thicker than the 90# index. (US paper weight standards are sure screwed up compared to metric.)

By the way, it looks like Bill actually did the pivoting kickstand that I only thought about. Nice work!

Rick, which bike are you going to build?

6. Falcon

Falcon Member

:D Hi to all,
    I built my DSC11 about 3 years ago. I used 180 gr A4 paper and all part fitted well.

7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Roger, i am thinking about the DSC-11, the girlfriend is thinking about getting a V-Star, the DSC-11 is very similar(US name vs Japanese name)

I haven't made up my mind as to which paper I am going to use.

I first have to clean off my current plate.

lots of the 4 wheel variety is on there now

8. AdamN

AdamN Member

I built the R1 about 6 months back. I used just a standard cardstock (I bought it at Office Max, 90lb I think) and had no problems what so ever. I printed it on the 8.5x11 sheets, and didn't do any reduction or enlargement.

One of the guys I work with started one of the other bikes and when he got to the wheels they were the wrong size. Not sure which bike he printed, but apparently, those pages were automatically scaled to fit on the 8.5x11 sheet, and he didn't catch it so had to go back and figure things out.

Making the handlebars turn is a good idea, otherwise, you have to build the stand (like I am doing now) to make it look right standing up.

The only issues I had with fit were that if you follow the directions you build the bike in segments and then assemble all the minor segments into the finished model. Some of the segments, exhaust pipes, sub-frame, and rear swing arm, go together nicely, but when it comes to assembling them into the complete model, you have to make some adjustments.

I chalked this up to operator error, as this was the first model of this type I built. But with that said, you need to look to the final steps of assembly to see where the segment your putting together fits in whole. Then you need to be sure you leave yourself some adjustment room at the end.

I ended up cutting and re-gluing parts of the sub-frame, the rear swing arm, and especially the exhaust pipes. The angles were just too difficult to guess correctly on the initial assembly. Again, I am likely the cause of this, but thought you might like to have the heads up.

I loved the model, it does look good, and all my sport bike riding friends want me to build them one. I don't think it would have been nearly as easy with standard paper as it was with the card stock.

Good luck, and please keep us posted of your progress if you're able.

9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

My 15-year old nephew just discovered the Yamaha site and we just downloaded a couple of the bike models. I am printing one (the YFZ-R1) out right now. I wonder if they will ever do my particular dream machine, the new FJR1300. (www.bammo.org.uk, the reason why I don't get much modelling done nowadays!) Perhaps I will e-mail them....

Anyway, progress reports, if either of us make any headway!

Tim P
  10. spirtos

spirtos Member

11. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Falcon...

Roiac wrote!!
    By the way, it looks like Bill actually did the pivoting kickstand that I only thought about. Nice work!

Can't you tell for sure!!??? ... did you visit my site???.. Maybe I have to do more!!!!............

.................... Bill
  12. Satoshi

Satoshi New Member

Hi all,

According to the Yamaha official web site, 135kg/m2 (0.18mm) paper was used in the construction advise page.
    (written in Japanese, but you can find the number elsewhere)

13. Tirta

Tirta Member

Hello All,

How hard is yamaha yzr-m1 to build?
    how many hours do you need to finish it?

14. rowiac

rowiac Member

I can't say how many hours it will take to build the YZR-M1, but it isn't really that hard to build. I've been working on it off and on for a couple of weeks, maybe an hour or so at a time and I'm about half-way through.

The most difficult part will be the wheels, based on my experience with two of the other Yamaha models. The YZR doesn't have a tube frame like the DSC-11, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Most of the parts are fairly large and easy to handle and they fit well.

15. Tirta

Tirta Member

Thanks Rowiac for the reply.
    So compared to other yamaha, YZR-M1 is easier, right?

I think I am going to build one.

Best regards,

16. rowiac

rowiac Member

I would say the YZR is one of the easier Yamahas. If it interests you, go for it. Besides, you can't beat the price of the kit :D .

17. Tirta

Tirta Member

Thanks Roger for the advice.
    So which yamaha is harder to build?

Best regards,

18. daniel

daniel New Member

Hi Tirta,

I think Roger is right. The YZR is the easiest to build. Be careful that all itmes are symmetric (very important). Don't build the cycle too fast. If you leave some parts unglued (which will fit to other groups of the cycle), you have a better chance that the groups will fit togehter.

Here are some of my Yamahas:

19. rowiac

rowiac Member

The DSC11 (DragStar Classic Eleven) is harder to build because of all the tube pieces in the frame. Not only do you have to roll a zillion little tubes, you need to get them all aligned correctly to make the frame symmetrical. The wheels are also a little more difficult because of the spokes. But even with these complications, the model is not that hard to build.

Here's how mine turned out.

20. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Daniel,

I saw your AT-ST on your website...very good looking and very neat build but where r you d/l that AT/ST? look forward to build that :)

and what scale of Yamaha's Motorcycle model? 1/16? or 1/24?

Thank you very much in advance