Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Billy Leliveld, Aug 26, 2006.

1. I just received (from PaperModelstore) this beautyful rare model.
    I think it must be from the 50ties or 60ties, Printed by Kranich in the former DDR .
    It was eeeexpensive, but a man's gotta do what he's gotta do on his quest for strange, weird and experimental model planes....
    Its partly printed on silver cardstock, looks good,but a pitty that I can't scan or copy the original and build a copy...
    It's marked XL-1, but the text does'nt give any clues on it makers of this plane. It looks a bit like the tailsitter planes of that era, like the XFY-1Pogo, XFV-1Salmon an the X-13
    Does anybody know if this was real?
    Googeling didn't help...

Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

• XL-1.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello Billy,
    Sorry, but I have no info on this for you.

It looks like you have a very interesting kit there.
    I was wondering, the cover shows a transport/launch vehicle.
    Is this included with the model?

I am also curious to see some of the parts pages.
    Care to provide us with a couple of pics?

3. :cry: Nah.. there's no vehicle ....
    It's impossible to scan, and almost imposible to photograph, but this is my best shot...

Attached Files:

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I see what you mean now! At least we can see the parts. I was just curious to see the design layout and this pic works for me. Thanks.

Yeah, it's a shame the transport vehicle wasn't included. That would have been an excellent bonus, eh?!

Still, she's a beauty to behold and that silver paper is pretty cool. I'll bet it will make a beautiful model!

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Before You Cut Up That Beauty!

What if you got some velum and traced the outlines and then printed that on the Red River silver sheets?

I hate to see an antique get destroyed........... even though it is a very cool looking plane!
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

omg ... thats an amazing model.

Looks like fun.

I agree with the Vellum method.

The vellum can also work if you place it on scanner and the page atop it. Like when you scan a page and sometimes the writing on the other side comes through lightly.
  7. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

You could also try scanning the parts after they are cut, basicaly aiming to get an image of what "isnt there"
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your idea is good but would only give an outline of the parts due to the reflection of the sheet material.
    I think a redraw using vellum is probably the way to go.
    At the very least, the detail will be able to be maintained.

9. Good idea to trace it, gonna work on that, would it be a violation of copyright if I put the stuff in the parts-bin later?

cheers, Billy
  10. Felixdk

Felixdk New Member

11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

A good photocopier should be able to make a "cloudy", but legible, copy. Take the result, scan that, and then clean it up digitally. That's what I did with my copy of the airship "Akron". I ended up with a nice lines-only print. I built the first one before I could scan and clean up the prints, so had to paint it silver anyway. (It actually looks pretty good, the brush marks look like doped fabric texture.) Someday when I can afford some of that Red River silver paper, I'll try again.

Scott K.
  12. He Don,
    That rings a bell ... There was a Russian constructer, building experimental planes called Tsybin..
    This plane was called TS NM1...
    Could be one of his designs
    Thanks, Billy

Attached Files:

13. He Bowdenja, whats velum?, My English is not bad, but I missed that one..
    I suppose it's what I call 'chalk-paper', or 'see-through' paper.

And don't worry I like to hang on to the original, it was expensive enough..

Cheers, Billy
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

That's the stuff.............. Tracing paper.............onion-skin..... vellium......... it's see-through paper. Once you get the outlines traced you can then scan it and re-print them on some silver paper........or regular cardstock.

Glad to hear you are going to keep the book around........ one day you might have to put it out because it is no longer available..........

I hate to see stuff disappear and people have to go through all the hoops to re-created it..........kinda like NASA having to re-learn how to build a rocket to go to the moon!

15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I am confused. I looked through my book of Soviet X-planes looking for the Xl-1 and couldn't find anything about it.

Even a google search hasn't helped. Could someone clue in this now confused formerly self-acknowledged but now depressed aircraft fanatic as to what it is. A website would be a great place to start...

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ash............. you are not the only one unable to find anything on it........ I think it is a pre-cold war propaganda model meant to dive capitalistic aircraft experts crazy............. just it didn't get out till after the fall of the USSR!:grin:
  17. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

It's like the Antonov An-181, I guess. hehehe

That bird has been driving me up a wall also.

One of these days I'll find good info on both.

18. He Steve that works perfectly!!! I'm now touching up the scans in Photoshop...
    If anybody is interested, I can put the final results in the partsbin...
    Cheers Billy
  19. Cybermac

Cybermac Member

Hi! Does anybody have a full list of "Modellbogen - Kranich" issues???
    I heard about DC-8, Yak-40, Su-7...