Xbbox's layout update

xbbox

So I went to Home Depot today and picked me up a sheet of that pink insulation board and stopped at Walmart and bought some black felt. Layout is now 3' X7' instead of 2 1/2' X 6'. All wires are now hidden. Here are some pictures leading up to date.
73ec5db4.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I like the contrast between the black felt and the grey track ballast. Pretty cool. Now, make some temporary stand alone mountains that you can pick up and move/rearrange as your layout changes and progresses.

That looks really cool. I would worry about the "S" curves you got on your layout. Especially the ones on the upper level

xbbox

I don't have any problems as of now. I can run the train at full throttle and it doesn't fall off.

Thats good. Usually the train wont derail, but in time, your train will begin to uncouple. You are running small engines and cars. But if you ever want to run six axle locomotives and longer freight cars, it will not look good on your layout. But if you are keeping it the way it is, there shouldnt be too much of a problem.

xbbox

I went to the train shop by my house yesterday and picked up a Jupiter 4-4-0 steam engine set. Came with the engine and 5 cars. Had to once again rearrange the layout. This is where I'm at now. Most probably going to stay like this for a while. I have a inner and outer track so I can run both at the same time.

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

tell me, does that steam engine pull the cars up that bridge? I have one just like it but it doesnt pull but two cars on a straight track :(

tell me, does that steam engine pull the cars up that bridge? I have one just like it but it doesnt pull but two cars on a straight track :( Looks good BTW

xbbox

It will only pull it up if I have it at full throttle. They way the tracks are set up, only the diesle goes up the bridge. The steam engine stays on flat ground in the middle.

DENNISJR60

xbbox

How is the styrofoam working for you? I want to do the same thing because I don't want a heavy piece of wood to move around. Did you just buy the big sheet & trim it down? How streardy(?) is it?

Sorry for all the questions...

wickman

Looks like your quite comfortable with trying different track designs ...I bet you can't wait to start on scenery.:wave:

xbbox

DENNISJR60 said:
How is the styrofoam working for you? I want to do the same thing because I don't want a heavy piece of wood to move around. Did you just buy the big sheet & trim it down? How streardy(?) is it?

Sorry for all the questions...

No problem. The styrofoam is doing great. I have it sitting on a 2 1/2' x 6' table, so not really that much hangs over. If you push down on the ends it will bend but as for the middle it's great. I just purchased a 4' x 8' sheet and cut it with a utility knife.

wickman said:
Looks like your quite comfortable with trying different track designs ...I bet you can't wait to start on scenery.:wave:

I'm actually not going to be doing any type of scenery. As you can see from the pictures, I like different stuff everyday. I'd hate to have to build everything and then tear it all down because I want to change something.

stevez0r said:
If you don't mind me asking what company track are you using? What company Loco's are you using also?

Everything that I'm using is Bachmann. The tracks are the e z track setup.

Austinio

When I see intricate track plans like this in such a small area, it makes me wish I got into N instead of HO. Of course I then look at my layout of 4 x 12 and although I do not have as much room as I'd like on it now I figure N would mean too much track for that area.

xbbox

Well I lied, I bought another set the other day so I had to change my layout agian. Bachmann Empire set. Comes with a 4-8-4 steam engine and 9 cars. I also picked up 2 more cars. This is where I'm at now and the last pic is a diesle loco that I'm thinking about picking up. I also figured out last night that between the 3 trains on the table, I have 50' of track.
DSC00137.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

Atlas B30-7 Frisco
L49918.jpg

xbbox

They run really well. The only thing I don't like is that I didn't know that the 4-4-0 would be that small.

LoudMusic

xbbox said:
They run really well. The only thing I don't like is that I didn't know that the 4-4-0 would be that small.

Smallness isn't a bad thing - it helps give the illusion that everything else is much larger ;)