Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Thanks buddy. You're too kind. :)

I'm doing my best to not let this go on for too long. I'll try to get it done soon. As I said, I'm on the right path now so it shouldn't take too long.

Yeah, 30cm sounds good, I'd just like a bigger one!! Can't wait to see the wife's face when I've built it. :) I'm going to be in big trouble!! But for this I don't care! LOL.
  2. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Look at RC Groups, they have folks there flying model SR-71's all the time, this is basically the same thing just with a slightly different wing planform. A little further aft CG is all. I just started a new job, so sorry i wont be doing it RC! But its going to look absolutely awesome at 3' long!
  3. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Proud to say that I did that!
    back in college, made a flyin Ent-D
    I tried to find the old model and pics late last year but never could though :cry:
  4. Gainer

Gainer Member

Hmmm... I'm cool with this!
  5. Master-Bruce

Small update. I'm just redoing the panel lines now with the hull texture. The first run were fuzzy so I had to try another method. Still getting to grips with vectors.

Once they're all done I'll apply an opaque panel texture over it then add some subtle shading. Then a few markers for the exit ramp and things.

It's getting there.

6. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

7. Master-Bruce

Thanks very much!! :)
  8. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Wow Skip, you're a machine... do you sleep? :D

Nice work on this, if you slip some wheels on it I can sneak it further up my build queue by passing it off as another movie car :p
  9. Master-Bruce

LOL!! I like that. Didn't think of landing gear. I know Claudio can be a busy bee so maybe I'll try to design come for it. Though that may be an after release mod. I'll need more reference for the gear.

I will be doing a display stand for it.

As for sleep, not really. My head's pretty full with ideas, plus there's builds I'd like to finish. I'm also a full time dad so I don't have the 9-5 job to contend with. Though when my kids are bit older I'll no longer be needed at home all day so then I'll be in trouble!! LOL
  10. Master-Bruce

Even if there are no wheels on it when this gets released. You could justify bumping it up your list by the simple fact that it is a movie vehicle, and it's a Claudio Dias too! He's unfolding this puppy as well as creating the base mesh. I'm just painting it so maybe that'd do?

I just hope I have nothing else on the table when this is finished. I'm trying to wrap up my builds ready for this to keep the wife happy. I've still not told her I'm building a 3' Jet!! Divorce is common these days right?? LOL!
  11. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Nice colour rendering/textures... Beautiful job!

30cm Nah ...... Too small.... Gotta see the detail!! 60cm minimum up to 2'.

drooling away

Tom :thumb:
  12. Master-Bruce

Claudio and I discussed it. When I've textured it, he'll unfold it to around 30cm. Also, he'll unfold one to a larger 30" for me. The textures may not stand up to it so I'll have it back to retexture if need be post unfold. That way the bigger one will have crisper details, more markings. Generally better all round. At least that's the plan.

When the larger one is done, we'll release that one too. So there'll be two versions for everyone.
  13. Master-Bruce

I have just the lower fins and the wing exhausts left and she's done. Oh and markings but there aren't that many. Many worth doing anyway as the others are too small.

I've done a new render with the most recent textures, these have the panel texture in them. They don't show up too well so I'll add a pic of one of the textures too.

Please tell me what you think as your opinion matters here. This is my first Jet (and probably my last)so I'd like it too look good and not disappoint. The panels are meant to look subtle, but are they too subtle? Do they need to be darker? This I can change in a matter of minutes so it'd be no problem. ;)

Top Wing Master2.jpg

I like aircraft but as this is a movie craft I'm enjoying it, I don't think I'm anough of a fan to do real world planes.

Anyway, comments please?
  14. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

fantastic!!wish i could create textures that good!!
  15. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Hmmmm.... What do I think.....

16. Master-Bruce

:) Thanks guys. I'll stick with it as is until I hear something different then.

Back to it then. :)
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You have panel lines but then you have panels within the panel lines which for some reason does not look right.

If you create your panel lines then smudge them like the underlying texture you have you get a result like the one below I threw together as an example.

18. Master-Bruce

I see what your saying and I like what you did. The smudging gave it a more weathered look too.

Saying that, if you take a look at this:

This is what I'm aiming for only a tad more subtle. See there are gaps between the panels which is what my dark grey lines represent. Then inside those areas are smaller panels of various shades of grey/blue.

19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hmmm ... seems like you were on the right trail.

I'm not sure what to tell you now. I can't find top and bottom views of the craft. Best bet is to find references for minor panels.
  20. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Ok, here's my two cents worth :oops:. I like the panel texture you have in your sample, but, I also agree with SteveO that the panels within panels looks unusual. I think the problem is the texture shouldn't cross the panel lines. For me the texture denotes a continuous surface which should logically end at the panel line. Perhaps the smaller panels should be monochromatic, either a shade darker or lighter than the surrounding areas. Also the panel texture may look more natural if it was orthogonal to the major panel lines. All this probably won't matter on a 30cm model, but once you get to the 36in size it may be noticeable.

Ok, after rereading it and thinking about it for a while, it sounds like this will be way too much extra work to be worthwhile. This is why I don't design yet, just way too detail oriented :cry: