X-15 or F84-F Thunderstreak ??

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Oct 25, 2008.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all:

I just finished the design and build of the F84-G (see other thread).

My next project will be either the X-15; my all time favorite, or the swept-wing F84-F Thunderstreak. Which would you like to see??

2. Texman

Texman Guest

Or, since there are models of both of those already available, why not go
    a slightly different direction and do the XF-84H Thunderscreach?
  3. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

I would like to see X-15 from your work desk, Cheer
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

When will the f84g be available? That is one fantastically detailed model!
  5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

F-84F in Thunderbird markings...

6. The loudest plane on earth!!! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

If you are going to do the X-15, I would vote for a large scale version with interior details, perhaps a removable tail section that highlights the engine.

Your work on the F-84 is sheer professional. Anything you do is fine with me!

BTW, the Thunderbirds started in the Thunderjet! You can get more mileage out of your current creation with a repaint depending on how challenging a task that is.
  8. But seriously a 1:33 X15 with lots of detail would be awsum..
  9. clif52

clif52 Banned

I vote for the X-15 I'm old enough to remember watching the test flights on TV as a kid. But after seeing your current design either ship would be great. Have you ever thought about a version of the original flying wing?
  10. dhanners

dhanners Member

Yeah, I'd go with the X-15, too. Aside from it being probably my all-time favorite aerospace vehicle (behind the Shuttle, that is) it'd be nice to have a good model of it. I've built a couple of modified and accurized versions of the Fiddlers Green offering, but it'd be nice to have a model of it in a larger scale.

It'd also be nice to have a good selection of markings/coloration options. Between the three vehicles, there were quite a few differences in nose and tail markings, application of test sections with different ablative materials or finishings, and of course there was the all-white version that set the speed record.
  11. And a pink one

Attached Files:

12. Texman

Texman Guest

Ah yes, the ablative coating. Designed to wear/melt away at certain speeds/temps
    to indicate the areas of interest to the engineers during testing.
  13. flying rasta

flying rasta hooked card modeler

i feel like a kid lost in Toys "R" Us. Just one question?. where do you fit all these models when you complete them???
  14. dhanners

dhanners Member

Here, for the heck of it, are a couple of photos of my FG X-15 builds. Probably the biggest tweak I undertook was "erasing" the white panel lines. They just look too stark against the black. Before cutting the parts out, I took a straightedge and a black marker and covered the white lines. Then I took the straightedge and a silver pen and, following the original lines, made rows of little dots to replicate the rivets.

I also scratchbuilt, modified and/or accurized the engine nozzles on both models, added various antennas, etc.

For 66671, I wanted to model the vehicle's first flight with the XLR99 motor. On that flight, '671 lacked the yellow "NASA" banner on the upper fin, so I had to scratchbuild the fin. Working with the "draw" function in Word, I found the correct font for the numbers, surrounded it with a big patch of black and then used the kit part as a template to cut out the new fin. Being that I'm not a designer, nor am I particularly computer-savvy, this is my low-tech way of doing it.

So, yeah, it'd be nice to have a well-designed -- and bigger -- X-15.

Attached Files:

• x15.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
    • x151.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
  15. Regie

Regie Member

Speaking personally, I either hide them in my attic room/office, but I'm now starting to hang them from the ceiling of my classroom. I don't teach anything even remotely connected to planes or flight, but the kids I teach seem to like them.

Currently I have the Red Arrows display team (I haven't put them in formation yet, but I will...) and a B29 with Bell X-1 and a B52 with X-15. They're all FG models at the moment. I'm working on a Sqaudron of Nobi's Spitfires and a Vulcan Bomber.

Oh, and to get back on thread? I'd love either, but a nicely detailed X-15 would be favourite I think. Huge thanks and respect to all you designers out there - I wish I had the talent!
  16. Regie

Regie Member

Oh, they are fine! Nice work dhanners!:thumb:
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shoot! Whichever you want to do.......... heck do one then do the other! Your first go round on the F-84 was amazing, I bet these will be cut from the same cloth.