X-15 Design and Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mole

the mole Member

This build is BLOWING me away:inw: If you don't sell this as a kit or a download it well be a lost to us all. You sir are a master. My hat is off to you. I look foward to more posts.:thumb:
  2. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Looking great.
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

This looks FANTASTIC. I can't wait to see the finished thing. Can't wait to build it, either....

In the spirit of offering a constructive comment, though, I do question the corrugations (the feature just to the rear of the "66671") on the outer panel of the fixed portion of the stabilizer. In looking through my various references on the X-15 (including the Jenkins/Landis book) I can't find that feature anywhere. That section is smooth skin. The rest of the stuff looks correct, and there is corrugated metal (aligned horizontally) on the inside of the speed brakes.

Again, I mention this in a constructive spirit. What you've done so far looks great and I can't wait to see more.
  4. I.Nicolae

I.Nicolae I.Nicolae

Looks great share more ,realy fantastic!!!
  5. woppy73

woppy73 New Member

Attached Files:

6. exzealot

exzealot Member

I really appreciate the information. I was using some engineering illustrations for high heat zones - and misinterpreted the info. Also, I have a horrible plastic rendition that shows the corrugations there as well.

This is an easy fix.

This is going so well that I probably will be modeling the shorter version as well.

If you see anything that needs correcting, just say the word - including any important details that need to be added.

Thanks again,

7. the mole

the mole Member

8. dhanners

dhanners Member

So far, everything looks really nice. You even got the nose attitude thrusters properly offset from the centerline, which is something a lot of folks could miss.

And yes, I'd LOVE to have the shorter version, although your work is looking so great so far that I'd be happy with anything you came up with.

And if work is really zooming along, how about offering different markings options? Mainly, the nose markings didn't change all that much. Some flights carried the white "X-15" lettering and some didn't, and some had the NASA meatball and yellow arrowhead (which you've depicted well) and some didn't. But generally speaking, the tail is where the markings changed, often from flight to flight. The font of the "NASA" lettering changed, and sometimes the yellow banner wasn't even carried; the stabilizer was just black with the serial number -- which itself appeared in different fonts.

One interesting version (and I'm at work so I don't recall the flight offhand) had the yellow NASA banner on the port side of the stabilzer, but not the starboard.

The modeling magazine I mentioned (as well as the Jenkins/Landis book) has some real good color profiles in it. In theory, I could scan them tomorrow and e-mail them to you if you'd like. It would be cool to offer markings options for various record-breaking or noteworthy flights. Then again, I've never designed a model before and all these armchair recommendations I'm making are probably easier said than done....
  9. exzealot

exzealot Member

Thanks to all who have been providing me with interesting web links for reference and enthusiastic encouragment. Thanks in advance to dhanners for continuing to point out errors as the model progresses - I really appreciate it!

The first error being the corrugated panels on the stabilizers. The picture below shows the redesigned patches glued on top of the old panels. This was bugging me all day. I can sleep now!

The cockpit section is getting close to printing, so check back often - My goal is to complete this model by Christmas.

Attached Files:

10. Wbnemo1

Wbnemo1 Member

absolutely wonderful..one of my all time favorite aircraft, err...........rocketplanes
  11. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

What a gift under the Christmas tree ! I mean the chance to build such a wonderful model!

12. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Late coming to this thread. Wow! What an impressive work. And I really like the collaboration you guys are doing here. To all involved - great job!!
  13. exzealot

exzealot Member

Below, you see the cockpit tub attached to the nose. This is just a trial to evaluate the markings locations. Placing the markings on the flat patterns is not easy, although I was pleasantly surprised at how good they came out. Adjustments will be made by measuring the discrepencies on this trial, then applied to the final version.

In the background, you can see the Fiddlers Green X-15 blown up to 1/32.

Attached Files:

14. dhanners

dhanners Member

You may be "pleasantly surprised," but the rest of us are salivating....

GREAT work so far, and I can't wait to see more.

Inspired by this, I printed out an FG X-15 yesterday, thinking I might do a quick build of one of the earlier X-15s, but when I looked over what I would need to correct, I just got overwhelmed and decided to wait for yours. While the FG version is a relatively easy build and some of its issues are correctable, some things on it, particularly markings-wise, are hard to fix. The "stars and bars," for instance. And the "U.S. Air Force" lettering on the fuselage and "USAF" on the wings are in the wrong font.

So yeah, to say your offering is being eagerly anticipated is a bit of an understatement....
  15. exzealot

exzealot Member

Forward Fuselage:

It kind of looks like Shamu without the chines added! It may be difficult to tell in these pictures, but the canopy height was lowered about 3 or 4 mm from the blue prototype.

Attached Files:

16. exzealot

exzealot Member

The main fuselage tube:

Next, I will be attaching the chines - to get rid of the "Shamu" look. Some of the graphics are not in the right location yet - these are placeholders; adjustments will be made on the final version.

Attached Files:

17. yoanncr

yoanncr New Member

cant wait for release !!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.