X-15 Design and Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhorse

redhorse Member

This looks great!
  2. dhanners

dhanners Member

The pictures only make us want it more....

Seriously, great work so far and I can't wait to see (and buy) the finished product.
  3. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

now that gives me an idea to build a larger X-15(print on a3?)

question, what can i use t glue together a plastic sheet model?

the plastic sheet i describe is from those nice plastic folders, clearbook covers etc.

i succesfully had a test image printed on one of those on a printshop's laser printers, have cut it, now CA glue does a messy job.

how bout using heat?

why plastic?

yeah sugar rocket flight.

got a kilo of saltpeter, and nothing sensible to put it on.
  4. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I can wait the next episode in this saga.
    I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT, linke the Thunderjet :cry:

I just found in the Google Sketchup 3D Gallery a X-15a-2 model that can inspire You. I post the link and some picture in this thread.

Enjoy, Nando :thumb:

PS: follow the link at the bottom of the page, You can find an interesting collection of pictures :mrgreen:
  5. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here is an X-15 update.

I just finished up the prototype as far as I need to go with it.

Only a few problems need to be corrected. The canopy is a little too high above the fuselage, so I will be redesigning that. The real machine had a low profile canopy. Other than that, the rest is reasonably accurate.

All the parts were eyeballed in place; the final version will have markings, and the main wings will have an internal wire to keep them parallel and level with each other. (through the fuselage).

Attached Files:

6. the mole

the mole Member

This is a great looking model. PLEASE tell me this model will be for sale or download when completed. This model looks like what all of use X-15 fans are looking for.:thumb: Can't wait to see the model with all it's marking added.
  7. Yellow Thunder

Yellow Thunder New Member

Holy Moly........:eek:

This looks awesome, if this comes available, i will stand in line to obtain one, purchase or free download !!!

Great job and respect to get such things to this humble audience !!

Yellow Thunder
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

I must admit that while I pine for the original X-15 and not the X-15A-2, what you've got so far looks VERY nice....

Can't wait to see (and buy, and build) the finished product....
  9. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Holy moly. Great job!

This is very relevant to my interests. I am definitely buying this and building it.

You should make a giant B-52 to go with it.
  10. :-o That's awsum..
    Cheers, Billy
  11. Yellow Thunder

There is a B-52 but it is a D version and its in scale 1:33 as this is 1:32, its from GPM no. 066 to be precise, it will be 148 cm long, 170 cm span and 44 cm high.

So its a possibility......... :rolleyes:
  12. It would look like this

Attached Files:

13. I have that model, it's big but it would be a bigger job to turn it into the "balls 8":mrgreen:

Attached Files:

14. I've played with the same tought, but I abanded it too:oops: specialy when i found out that FG has it already, when you order the B52, the 'balls 8' is included, with the X15 as a bonus
  15. Same here, the FG is from an other league, the problem with scanning the GPM was you need an A3 scanner and printer, so I've put this one on the bottom of my 'to do' list , but we'll keep on dreaming:sleeping:
  16. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

great job ken look forwward to seeing this available m8 !!!! :)
  17. exzealot

exzealot Member

X-15 Fans,

Attached are pictures of the final nose section for the X-15. A little edge coloring would have helped. The graphics turned out very readable.

I placed the nose next to the prototype so you could see how this will look.

Attached Files:

18. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

veru crisp and clear...ver nice build & Design
    John John
  19. Yellow Thunder

Looks very good, my compliments for your designing but also for your building skills :thumb:

Hope to see the completed model in the near future
  20. exzealot

exzealot Member

I just finished up the stabilizers. I noticed that the flat face of the top fin is a little concave (probably from the drying ink). I guess I'll have to reinforce this for later versions.

Notice the corregations in the lower side panels. I may have to tone them down a little.

Anyway, it came out as expected.

Next: the cockpit section.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.