X-15 Design and Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exzealot

exzealot Member

NYC Irish,

I agree - this is a complicated model. That's why beta-builders are needed to build these models and provide feedback for improvement.

Here's what we can do. When X-15 builders have questions, just ask them on this thread; I will reply with an explanation. After collecting enough instruction improvements, I can update the official instructions. Then the people who legitimately purchased this model can sign up at Ecardmodels for "updates" and download an improved version. I am sure Chris would do this because there is a feature in the ecardmodels website.

Service with a Smile!

2. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Hey Ken,

Again not as a knock but things I noticed while building the cockpit.

Is part 2a* over sized? It seems to stretch out over the position marks on the left and right Part 1? I had to trim it back a bit to get part 2* in.

Should one of the Left & Right Part 1's be marked as "*" for lamination either the inside or out?

I think the elbow/arm rests are mixed. The 8 Right fits inside the 8a Left not the 8a Right it is printed beside.

Thats kind all I remember for my build, I love it well done Ken.

John John
  3. exzealot

exzealot Member

John John,

Part 2a* refers to the inner side panel that glues to the inside of the tub. I left them line-to-line intentionally. In most cases, depending on the thickness of the cardboard used for the formers, a little trimming may be necessary.

I believe the second item refers to the side structures of the seat. You are correct - these should have a 1 piece of cardboard between the panels. I will correct this with an *.

You are correct on the armrests as well. I'll fix this.

Is it possible to start a build thread on this, so we can capture these, and I can also watch and make sure it is being built as expected?

Good catch! Thanks for the heads up.

4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

oh dear

So part 2a* is not the seat that the cushion goes onto? I fit it in by trimming it back..

John John
  5. Jees that's pretty darn good!
  6. When and where will this be available. Also how much do you plan to charge for it? Is it going to be downloadable?
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Read through the thread ... it answers everything.
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Hey tim

"Welcome To The Party Pal"

I cant wait to see what Tim does with his build

John John
  9. Khan-dam

Khan-dam New Member

that....is awesome!!! i've just a question about that, wich software are you using to draw ( cad i presume ) to texture and to unfold, which printer are you using ? realy awesome !!!!!
  10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

When you compile all the build corrections, could you post it on the Ecardmodels site? It'll be a while before I get to build the kit and it would be great to have a concise instruction update page to refer to. It certainly would be easier than trying to review all the threads.

11. exzealot

exzealot Member

To the X-15 builders (present and future)

NYC Irish is currently building the model and he has identified 2 minor problems. Seat pan is too long, but obvious to the builder, and 2 parts are mis-labeled. John John figured both of these out himself - and I verified it.

John John started with the seat - the most complicated assembly, so I really don't expect a huge compilation of issues with the model as I built it 3 times myself during development. But I certainly plan to update the assembly instructions, and I may even provide more illustrations to improve the instructions overall.

Thanks Bob for the question.
  12. Louis R

Louis R Member

I have been building this also.

Hello Ken,
    First of all thanks for such a great model! This is my first attempt at building a plane as I normaly build architectural or sci-fi paper models. Reason I choose to jump in the deep end with this model was because of the amount of detail you have placed in the model. The only think I must say that the instructions are a bit sparse at times and more 3d images would have helped especially on the intricate parts. I will most certainly post questions as I go along as I have examined the parts in advance to building them and there is some confusion in my mind on the way cetains parts fit together. Also, you asked that people post progress photos, which I have many, but would you like that within this thresd or should one start a new one? Once again thank you for such a superb model because even with my limited experience in this genre it is still looking great.
  13. Louis R

Louis R Member

I actually built the front end 3 times just because I stuffed up the alignment of the parts. Additional images would be most helpful as I really want to do justice to this model in my construction of it. How does one get this updated?
    Also, is it possible on top of the bulkhead included with the model if you can introduce joining strips? I have made my own but it is difficult to use them on the curved parts.

Attached Files:

14. exzealot

exzealot Member

Hi Louis,

You are doing a fantastic job on the X-15! And this is your first aircraft??

The instructions are a bit sparce - I do plan to update the instructions, but I am waiting on feedback (such as yours) so that I know what needs to be addressed.

If you start a new thread for your build, you can add comments, questions, etc.. Then as I address them for you, many many others can see how the model goes together.

As far as joining strips, I was never a real fan of them. My attempt at using them has always resulted in unwanted undulations - probably my lack of experience. I always cut them off and butt-glue everything.

Anyway, I am excited to see people building the model.

Nice job,

15. Louis R

Louis R Member

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the compliments. I love this model and belive me I have many other plane models in my collection to build but this one just stood out in my collection as the one to get me started in this genre.
    Anyway, I will try and start a new build tread of this model over the weekend as it is a long weekend here in Australia and I'll have a few hours to spare. I will make comments where I got caught due to insufficient instructions. I do suggest to other memebers to go ahead and buy this inexpensive model as it is a real showpiece and a lot of fun to build. Once completed and if you do release a update to this model I might give this one away and rebuild it even better.
  16. jaeike

jaeike Member

If we're talking reference, here's a few I've found:

This one is mostly of the B-52, but if you dig around, there are a lot of photos of the X-15:

Lots of these I found by just doing a Google image search and digging in deeper in the sites of the search results. :thumb:
  17. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Ok I have had some time to throw myself back into this wonderful project.

just to make sure, Anything I say is to give those building a heads up on issues I have encountered and for Ken to possibly address with the kit if he wants to/can. I love the kit, its sharp clear and going tothere very well, even with my limited abilities...

Image A is the nose wheel,It was fairly easy, I got the card layers of the wheels together, mashed in some Squadron puttey and attached them to a Dremmel, spun and sanded then down...I did paint it with what was labbled as matt Black, but it still came out a bit too gloss.

Image B & C shows the first attempt at installing the gear, I now realise that the strut should have gone up THROUGH the wheel well box, Not attached to the box. I trimmed it down and re attached it as you see in D. Im not sure if there is something inside to attached the strut to...I just trimmed the strut down to my best guess

Real Skids were easier, I did use a trimmed strip of balsa for the main leg,

Attached Files:

• A.JPG
      File size:
      153.4 KB
    • C.JPG
      File size:
      145.4 KB
    • D.JPG
      File size:
      152.2 KB
    • B.JPG
      File size:
      146.7 KB
    • E.JPG
      File size:
      142.6 KB
    • F.JPG
      File size:
      150.6 KB
  18. exzealot

exzealot Member

Wow, that looks great!

Everything looks as it was intended. The landing gear strut should pass through the 2 inner structural pieces, and the end of the strut should just touch the inside of the outer skin.

I'll check my instructions to make sure that the holes are called out.

Nice job! :thumb:

19. dhanners

dhanners Member

Yes, I'd concur. That's a fine looking build so far. Can't wait to see more....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.