x-1 build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by NULLMOON, Mar 21, 2007.

1. dinsour

dinsour Member

ok I stand corrected.

Ok , today I learned somthing new. As in my signeture, Today is not wasted.
    But seriously guys, thanks for the info. I never knew about the gear and I worked at Bell at the time. Didn't konw it at the time, but I worked on the outer skin. The pieces were never identified as such at the time. All I knew was the forman took a few of us guys into a closed section of the plant to do the final triming on some metal sheets. The were scribed and pre cut to with in a quarter of an inch of the final shape. We then had to use hand mill files to get the down to the scribe line. They had to fit in cut out like a jigsaw piece. they fit so exact, once you put them in they had to use suction cups to get them out. It took me almost a week to get just one right, Lots of expensive scrap was produced, trying. :grin:

----73 Ron
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks, cmdrted! I just went to SPI and bought it there. Nullmoon's build pics have inspired me to try this one out. :)
  3. He Dinsour:twisted:
    You where very, very close to the "right stuff"!!!
    Nice story!
    Cheers, Billy
  4. dinsour

dinsour Member

After posting my last post an hour ago I got to thinking. The time line is wrong. I would have to have been about 12 years old to have worked on the X1. I did some research and it turns my old memory is off a bit. It would have been the X2 I worked on. But in my defense, the co. used to show us films on the X1 in training sessions.
    I guess at 73 the old gray matter doesn't work as well as it used to. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut. Sorry about that. :oops:
    Back to the X1 build. great model. Wish I had the skills to do that.

- - - - - 73 Ron ( dumb head )

NULLMOON Member

its an easy kit despite the amount of parts (in my opinion)everything fits as it should no odd bits no mismatched parts, a worthy buy
  6. @Dinsour
    There's absolutly no need to appologise, you worked at Bell's when they where making dreams come true..hats off for you sir!!!!

NULLMOON Member

Attached Files:

8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's a beautiful build!
    You got me wanting to build it now.
    Dang, I have enough to do already!
    Your killing me!:twisted:

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Bell X-1 "Glamorous Glennis" Machbuster Model

I second that, Russell. It´s the most beautiful Bell X-1 model I´ve seen so far.
    The cockpit windows just blow me away - very realistic indeed. A work well done! Now all you need is a streamlined stand . . .

All the best,
    Bengt :D
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Gorgeous job! Just beautiful.:)
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I keep coming back to get another look at that cockpit glazing.
    Looks like glass from a space age, high rise, building!
    You should pat yourself on the back and pour yourself something cold to drink, nullmoon!

Truly a sweet looking bird!

12. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Outstanding work!!!!! And the photos are as clean as the model..

NULLMOON Member

dammit now i need another project:twisted: any-one know of any other x-offerings
  14. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

PaperTrade has an X-3 that builds rather nice.
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Nobi has several X-birds..........
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

One of my favourite planes - you did a superb job :)
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi Billy,

Check your PM folder . . .

Bengt :D
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Outstanding work! I think Nobi had an X-15 at one time.
  19. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

sir Nobi still has his X-15, and my god its a beaut!!!

I almost forgot, I also have the PModels X-1 in our hard drive and still not made an effort to print it... oh boy...

I'm so jealous!!! I HAD to build this ONE!!!