Wye's for passing sidings??

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
Will this work using 2 Wye's for passing sidings on a main line?

passingsiding.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Yes. You will take a bit less space than with the equivalent standard turnout. There will also be a moderate speed restriction on both tracks compasred to no retriction and a severe restriction if you used standard.
Remember that for the same "radius" of turnout, a wye has half the frog number. Also, you could probably replace a pair of #6 turnouts with a 4 or 5 wye in the same space.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I had to look, if only because I had a different interpretation of "wye". The plan that you show will work fine, although just regular switches are what would be normally used.

Wayne

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
Thank's Guy's
I was trying to get the space occupied by the passing siding down to a minimum that was passable.

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Based on past bad experiences, I try very hard to have my mainline run on straight and smooth track to avoid derailment problems (mainline always takes the straight route on a standard T.O. or the widest on a curved T.O.). I use wyes off the mainline but not on it. I find this especially true if I just want to put a train in motion and not have to worry about it (while tinkering on some other project or portion of the railroad). As always though, you'll have to weigh the pluses and minuses for what matters most to you. One other consideration is if you'll be reversing cars over the wye on a regular basis - if so, give more consideration to using a standard T.O. so cars can be backed up over straight track.

Have fun figuring it out - that's one of the best parts of the hobby in my opinion.