Wye Switches

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Does anyone make a wye switch in O gauge that does not require hands on switching?
    I'd like to do something where a single track leads into a big loop that comes back around to that single track. Sort of a large reversing loop but I don't want to have to run a switch every time the trian hits it. Anything like that out there?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

If you are just going to use it for a loop then it would work as an automatic type switch. There would be no need to work the switch since the train would enter and exit on the smae lead in track. At least this would work with fastrack and if the regular 0-27 switch has the same non-derailing feature it would do the same. The trains wheels automatically throw the blades to the proper position when the trian travels towards the converging track.
  3. Cannonball

I have yet to see an O27 wye.
    I saw the FasTrack ones which is kind of what I'm looking for but in O27
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Off hand I can't say if a O-27 style wye has been made. I would have to check on that when I have more time. However it would or should work without hands on switching.
  5. Marxed

Marxed Member

as long as you run marx trains over it :D
  6. Cannonball

This is just another conspiracy to keep the common man and his O27 trains down!
    Power to the people! :mad:
  7. Cannonball

Well, with those fat wheels, it will hit those switches and go wherever it wants! :D
  8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

At one time I was going to make one, with a couple of broken O27 manual switches. Never got around to it and don't know where those parts are now. You could make it a spring switch and not have to be there to throw it. The train would enter the balloon the same way everytime but the spring would allow the train to escape without derailing it.

9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

just switch to fast track, come on, you know you want to, just try it, it wont hurt, everyone else is doing it, are ya scared?...........

10. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Atlas makes a wye. Pins are available to match it to O27 track. Ross is another supplier with wyes, and also had adapter pins for O27 (same as GarGraves).
  11. Cannonball

No way, man.
    I'm 100% natural. ;)
  12. Cannonball

Thanks for the leads, Fred. :)
  13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Well in that case they even make better adapters for fastrack to 0-27. :) But I am still looking for the regular 0-27 wye so don't give up yet.
  14. Cannonball

Surely someone out there somewhere has made one. :confused:
  15. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I've never seen a tubular O27 wye switch that wasn't hand-built. A hobbyist/retired engineer named Dick Reicherd publishes instructions for making your own. I have one of his other switch manuals but I've never had the guts to actually try making one myself. The upside is that with his design, absolutely anything that can handle an O27 curve will make it through the switch (he's a Marx fan). I know neither K-Line, Lionel, or Marx ever made one. Sakai would be the only other possibility and I doubt they did (the selection of what they made was limited, and the quality of their track and switches wasn't very high anyway).
  16. Cannonball

I guess I'm gonna have to find Dick's instructions then.
    Might be an interesting project to undertake.