WWI Best Place?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Redwulf, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

I am building a bunch of WWI airplanes for my sons' room. I have just gotten started and built the free version of the Fokker DVII from Fiddlersgreen. I am ready to move on to the next. Preferably a Neuiport or Sopwith Camel. At least then the dogfight hanging from the ceiling will be one on one for now. Where is the best place to buy and download WWI. Is Fiddlergreen the best? They certainly are reasonable as far as price. I've done some searching but really don't know what specifics to look for. IE, what makes one download better than the other.
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

If you are looking for absolute realism (or at least as close as you can get with paper), then Fiddlers Green is not the place to go, but if you want something that is reasonably easy to build, looks pretty good and is not going to cost you an arm and a leg, then FG is the place to go.

IMO of course.
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

In addition to Fiddler's Green, which has scores of planes at a very reasonable price, there are other online shops you might check out.

Paperwarbirds has a nice selection of WWI era planes, and there is a free download page you might check out...they rotate the available model from time to time and they make some very nicely detailed models:
    You might even check out some of the models they have for sale.

There are also online shops for paper models, such as Hobby Factory:
    Lighthouse Models:
    DeWayne's page:

There scores of others, check out the ads on the main page and see if you come across a model that fits your needs.

Hope this helps,
  4. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Thanks guys.

Jim, You show up everywhere on this forum! Your not hard to find! Do you happen to know what scale the Large DVII from Fiddlergreen is?
  5. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

RT has a point. FG does have their own style but it is not unattractive, especially for a kid's room. i thought we might have heard from "GW" by now but he may be on an extended weekend so i'll try to fill in the void.

the "plane" section there has at least seven WW1 planes of different makes, nationalities, and scales. the one thing they have in common is they are free.
    in the end, you might be better off sticking with the FG models to keep scale and style consistent, and they are reasonably priced.

6. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Redwulf!:grin:

The "WASM" on my copy is 49%; this means if you print out the files at 49% of the original size you end up with a 1/60th scale model...which means 100% turns out a model at about 1/30th scale, as I figure it.

Have to admit the WASM given is sometimes not right, if you have the specs of the actual plane, but it's usually close and I would use it as a basis to make models of the same scale.

I am assuming you know what "WASM" is...there is a pretty good explanation of this, and the scales, at the FG site:

Hope this helps.
  7. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Ok, If I got this figured right, I downloaded a 1:72 scale Scout. If I want it to be the same scale as my DVII I which is WSAM 49%, then I need to increase it by 141%. Right?

Gosh I feel like I'm back in math class! Hoping that there are no red marks on this test!!!! :???:

If you want to see my "work" I'll paste it later! :oops:

Next question, whats the easy way to increase it? Thought I could just increase it in my print, but not.
  8. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

you might have to cut and paste parts of the model onto another page in an art program. there are some free ones available on the net (image forge?). some work better with certain file formats than others. once they are grouped differently, you can enlarge that page to the % you feel you need. not great with math here either but i have my moments....lol! keep us posted.
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Okay, let me see if I have this right...

You printed out the FG Fokker DVII (the large one) at 100%? So, based on a WASM of 49% to get a 1:60 scale, your model is actually at 1:30 scale?

And now you have a model which is 1:72 scale which you want to increase to 1:30 scale to match the Fokker...I would say you need to increase it by 240%.

Remember, if you had a 1:60 model and wanted it 1:30 you would have to double the size, or 200%. I find it easiest to divde the one scale by the other to get the %...for instance, making a 1:72 to 1:30, you divide the 72 by 30 and get 2.4, which translates to 240%. Similarly, to get the WASM sized Fokker (which is standard 1:60), from a 1:30 scale original, you would to decrease it by 30 divided by 60, or about 50%...which is the WASM percentage.

Hope some of this makes sense; just remember dividing the one scale by the other...depending on whether you want a bigger size or a smaller size (to increase the size, the scale is a lower ratio (1:30 versus 1:72), for the scale factor is going to be larger than 1 (or larger than 100%), whereas to reduce to a smaller scale (higher ratio) it will be a factor below 1 (or less than 100%)...the end result in either case is a multiplication factor (in this case 2.4) which you translate to a percentage, or 240%.

I use Photoshop elements and print preview which, when I chose the scale percentage I get to see if the part I am working with fits on the paper or if I need to increase the paper choice. Since I am usually reducing the sizes for the most part I don't have a problem, but I could see a problem if you are increasing the size, in which case you could have to split it into a few pages to get all the parts. Depends on the software you use, I suppose.

Anyway, if this making anything clearer...I hope?:???:

10. Ken Horne

Ken Horne Member

As a dad to a three year old, and lifetime FG member, I'd have to agree with Fiddler's Green to be your best choice. There are lots of great WWI models out there that will certainly build up to be better show pieces, but for looks, and mass on a limited time (assuming you are a normal dad with more dreams than actual time :) ) The WWI/'Tween Wars disk is $35 and will occupy you for months. The Camel is a great build, as is the DVII, I loved the DVIII and DrI as well. I've built a lot of these ones and love them all. I really want to build the Gotha one day...

ps I love your avatar :)

11. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

You nailed it Ken, more dreams than time. It's 1:00 AM here! I'm finding my dream time, except that I'm awake and living it instead of asleep and enjoying it!!!

Thanks as always Jim! I actually did my math right except forgot the extra 100. I would have figured it out when I went to print previewing. I was 140 instead of 240.

I'm using Photoshop elements too. The dream I'm in right now is repainting the Larger DVII from Fiddlergreen. I'm painting Fokker D.VII 4250-1399/18 from Jasta 15 flown by Ltn Oliver von Beaulieu-Marconnay. See it here. http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/fokker_d7/fokker-dvii-bm.jpg Coming along pretty well so far. I'm just learning Elements. I will surely be lacking some detail but next go around I'll have it down! Can't seem to locate an underside shot of this scheme. I'm assuming its the same as the top, but guess I'll keep looking.
  12. Stormy

Stormy New Member

Hi Guys, I am new here, and I have had the problem with scale conversions. Try Google and look for a nifty little thing called "ScaleCalc" or similar. That is all you will need. You can put in sizes both in imperial and metric nominations as well as scale to scale. Try it.