WW2 Cardmodeling

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Wily, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Wily

Wily Member

Found this odd photo and thought there may be people here who haven't seen it before.

Nice kit.

Attached Files:

2. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i like it! where did you find this gem?
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I have seen similar pictures elsewhere. I took one and reposted with a conversation included.

Attached Files:

4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I am not an armor expert but the turret of that German tank looks like it belongs to a Panzerkampfwagen III and the model looks very much like a Russian KV-1. In the background, what first appears to be a geological feature seems to be, on close inspection, more like a thatched hut which would date this photo to around late summer 1941 somewhere on the Eastern front. I say late summer because earlier that summer, the Germans were quite "busy." By the summer of 1942 the Germans certainly did not have any time to be relaxing on the Eastern front!

You know, early in our involvement in the war, America had a nationwide program whereby young boys would be given wooden kits from which they would build recognition models of Allied and Axis aircraft for the US Army and Air Corps. I met one of those children when he was an old man. He still scratchbuilt models from wood. If you are ever passing through the terminal at Atlanta International Airport you can see a few of his incredible models on display. Perhaps these Germans are doing pretty much the same thing, namely, building recognition models of the most important thing to German ground forces...Russian tanks!

How awesome would it be to get one's hands on one of those kits unbuilt?

Just a guess, but I enjoy making history come alive.
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

SteveO's picture clinches it. That's exactly what these Germans are doing! Look at the background, same tank, same thatched hut...just different crew members. What an incredible piece of history.

Can either of you dredge up the location where you found these pictures? I just came up with an idea for a killer diorama. It just so happens I have a PzKw III that has been waiting to be built for 15 years.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Those are some great pictures. That is the kind of stuff that is very interesting. :thumb:
  7. jagolden

jagolden Guest

CT, I was thinking the same thing. Am reading "Panzer Aces" an was thinking about von Ribentrop.

Fine photo and piece of history.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The tank in the background appears to be the PZIII with Turret shroud and exhaust high up on the rear.

More than likely the card model was to teach the finer points of the KV-1. Too bad the PZIII was fodder for that KV-1 unless the Soviet crew were the under rained type that did not use the tank to it's full effectiveness.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

I agree it's a model of a KV-1 with a Pz III as the backdrop. However, the Pz III shows stripes on the camouflage which indicates the 3-colour scheme introduced in Feb 1943. The Eastern front was quiet in the early summer of 1943 before Kursk so I'd say early summer 1943.

Edit - Pz III could just run away from a KV-1 or even better suck a KV-1 into a kill zone covered by 88mms.

10. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

Charlie is right, summer '43. there was some down-time for the wehrmacht as the start of the Kurk offensive was repeatedly (and fatally) delayed. the number on the tank could indicate that it is a unit leader's tank. maybe the leader's crew doesn't have as much to do as some of the others.....?
  11. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I just love this. Only a true tankophile would recognize the subtle camoflage differences.

How much would you pay for one of those recognition models? What a piece of history!
  12. DHL

DHL Member

wow! are they true photos?
  13. Sgt.Backer

Sgt.Backer New Member

I really want a WWII biplane model
  14. belleg01

belleg01 New Member

ok thats amazing when i first looked at this post i thought cool photoshop ,then i realized it was real!!!! Amazing.
  15. stupels

stupels New Member

It's a serious old-school thing!