Wrecks & Derailments, Part 2

I have just added part two of Maurice Lewman's 'Wrecks and Derailments' on the Big Four Michigan Division to the Memory Pages of the Railroads of Madison County (Indiana). Part two covers the Division north from South Anderson to Goshen Indiana. There are several PC wrecks in this part.

Just follow the Memory Page link at: http://madisonrails.railfan.net/ and enjoy.

Flangehead

With the famous " Madison grade" I'll bet you do have a lot of wreck history in your locale. Is that line still in use?

No. Last I heard, it was still listed as active, but I saw a photo of it two years ago showing the rails actually pulled apart from lack of maintenance.

Addendum: Madison Indiana is a long way from Madison County Indiana, about 175 miles or so. Madison Hill is down by the Ohio River whereas Madison County is Northeast of Indianapolis about 40 miles. As I recall, Madison Hill was PRR and then PC using special weighted locos (SD9s??) running ahead of the consist down the hill to prevent run-aways. There was a move to rip all of it out, but some wanted it preserved as a National Historic place.