WOW! I rec'd an amazing gift- 0 Lionel trains set....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Aunt Missy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Aunt Missy

Aunt Missy New Member

and I am searching for the age of the cars. I have the engine and caboose of same era, but I do not see any serial may be from different eras...Coolest: there is a Wells Fargo Bank car with gun at each end..they see-saw up and down as a threaded disc moves...I have just recently received this treasure and it needs TLC- which I have the patience for. There is rust on all of the tracks, but not to a corrossive level. I have searched this topic for how to identify age of Lionel, but did not get a hit. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to resore and display the train in my 1880's home. Here is my best description of my gift:

1.The transformer is S type, and in great shape. Circa 1949- I think.
    2. The Load/Decoupe component has a 4-lead wire that snaps like dry pasta- leaving the wiring intact. Does Radio Shack carry this 4-lead wire?
    3. On 2 of the cars, there is a number stamp, but not a metal decal as on the engine. :wave: And THANK YOU!
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Welcome! You can take the loco and cars to just about any major hobby shop and they should have a Lionel price book there. They will need to see the cars because the condition, age and amount made are all factors. Toss the track its not worth anything no matter the condition and to be honest about it when you set up the display I would recomend Gargraves track and Ross switches. Hope this helps! :)
  3. Aunt Missy

Aunt Missy New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am not so interested in the $ value as I am in what will require restoration efforts to display it. I have been a fan of things made better than they are now, and receiving this gift confirms that once again! Wow, such craftmanship and precision work.

Is there a website(s) better than others for Lionel Trains, that is to research and buy components for?

And thanks for the advice on the track- I thought either a Dremel Tool or a chemical soak would remove the rust- but knowing there are more choices out there saves me the time and effort for that part alone.

Thanks Again,
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Post some pictures if you can. They sound interesting and I for one would like to see your newly acquired treasures. You might try this web site for asking questions also.

It has a large base of people who are into O gauge. Also the numbers printed on the cars will help identify them.

Greg Elems
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If your transformer is 1949, you want to look at the power cord as it may go the same way as the wires on the uncoupling track. It can be replaced with a modern cord. Also check the electrical specifications -- back then some areas of the continent were running on 25 cycles or 50 cycles and those transformers are not happy with 60 cycle current. A modern transformer will still produce the output current you need.
    The Lionel serial numbers are the car numbers. Your loco should have a 3 or 4 digit number on the cab.
    Check if your library or hobby shop can get Greenberg's guide to Lionel trains. You want the "Postwar" volume.