Wow... And I Thought BNSF Was The Borg

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Didn't realize how many RR's Norfolk & Western assimulated until I started researching it a little:

Nickel Plate Road
Wabash
Southern
Virginian
Pittsburgh &West Virginia
Akron, Canton, & Youngstown
Delaware & Hudson
Erie Lackawanna
Reading
Central Railroad of New Jersey
Conrail
Illinois Terminal

railohio

Sort of.

Norfolk & Western at one time owned Delaware & Hudson and Erie-Lackawanna but it never merged with them, instead operating them as part of its Dereco subsidiary. D&H was later cast off independent to compete against Conrail in the Northeast and E-L was included in Big Blue.

The merger was Southern was considered to be a merger of equals, although if anything it was a Southern takeover of N&W given the management makeup after the creation of NS.

I don't have a bloody clue where you're pulling Reading and CNJ into this, unless N&W had a minority ownership in them also before they were included in Conrail. I'm assuming (there I go again) that you included Conrail in that list because of the 1999 split in which Norfolk Southern acquired a part of it, but that's stretching things just a bit.

railohio

Heh. I'm going to guess you got all this from Wikipedia. It even says, however, they they never merged the Dereco properties into their system. There is a glaring error in that, however. N&W created Dereco, they didn't acquire it. There also is no mention in there of N&W's longtime ownership by the Pennsylvania Railroad which is a great oversight. I can't hardly believe ownership with independent operation counts as assimilation. Otherwise the Pennsy's ownership of the N&W would be a factor as well.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Conrail would fit since it was divided in 1999 betwenn NS & CSX.

The Reading was merged into Conrail. The CNJ was absorbed by Conrail in 1976.

So if you follow a true bloodline they would all have a little bit of it in NS.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
railohio said:
Sort of.

Norfolk & Western at one time owned Delaware & Hudson and Erie-Lackawanna but it never merged with them, instead operating them as part of its Dereco subsidiary. D&H was later cast off independent to compete against Conrail in the Northeast and E-L was included in Big Blue.

The merger was Southern was considered to be a merger of equals, although if anything it was a Southern takeover of N&W given the management makeup after the creation of NS.

I don't have a bloody clue where you're pulling Reading and CNJ into this, unless N&W had a minority ownership in them also before they were included in Conrail. I'm assuming (there I go again) that you included Conrail in that list because of the 1999 split in which Norfolk Southern acquired a part of it, but that's stretching things just a bit.

railohio said:
Heh. I'm going to guess you got all this from Wikipedia. It even says, however, they they never merged the Dereco properties into their system. There is a glaring error in that, however. N&W created Dereco, they didn't acquire it. There also is no mention in there of N&W's longtime ownership by the Pennsylvania Railroad which is a great oversight. I can't hardly believe ownership with independent operation counts as assimilation. Otherwise the Pennsy's ownership of the N&W would be a factor as well.
Details details....... :D

Bottom line, I can pull any of them in a consist together and make it believable. :p :D

brakie

Nope..Before 1960 only PRR/N&W.After the N&W/NKP/WABASH merger then you can run those road units for a short period of time as the N&W was painting the units as quickly as possible..I don't think N&W ever ran E-L units.Even after the N&W/Southern merger the units was quickly painted into the new NS scheme.

railohio

Even then I think you have to look long and hard to find where N&W and PRR power was mixed. I'm sure it happened a little where the roads ran near each other, but I've a good hypothesis it wasn't nearly as widespread as if they'd have merged.

N&W did run EL units for a while after 1976. N&W repossessed the SD45-2s they finanaced once EL was included in Conrail. These units were ordered with dual control stands to facilitate integration into the N&W roster in the future. I don't know how long they operated on N&W or if any were repainted. They were all returned to the lessor before the creation of Norfolk Southern, however.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
brakie said:
Nope..Before 1960 only PRR/N&W.After the N&W/NKP/WABASH merger then you can run those road units for a short period of time as the N&W was painting the units as quickly as possible..I don't think N&W ever ran E-L units.Even after the N&W/Southern merger the units was quickly painted into the new NS scheme.

railohio said:
Even then I think you have to look long and hard to find where N&W and PRR power was mixed. I'm sure it happened a little where the roads ran near each other, but I've a good hypothesis it wasn't nearly as widespread as if they'd have merged.

N&W did run EL units for a while after 1976. N&W repossessed the SD45-2s they finanaced once EL was included in Conrail. These units were ordered with dual control stands to facilitate integration into the N&W roster in the future. I don't know how long they operated on N&W or if any were repainted. They were all returned to the lessor before the creation of Norfolk Southern, however.
wall1 wall1
It's just pretend, guys!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
railohio said:
It's called discussion, chief. That's what forums are for.
I know I know.
It's just really expensive to buy all new cars in O27 gauge and I'm trying to make an excuse for my current rolling stock.

railohio

Why would you need to justify your purchases to anyone else? You like it, therefore you bought it and you run it. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
railohio said:
Why would you need to justify your purchases to anyone else? You like it, therefore you bought it and you run it. Sounds reasonable enough to me.
True enough.
I'm not trying to justify them to anyone else really.
Just trying to make them make sense together.
Aside from a few specialty cars, what little rolling stock I have that isn't ATSF/BNSF are mostly lines that N&W would have owned/merged at some point in time.

brakie

Ahh yes those SD45-2s..As far as I know they was sold to CR and returned to NS after the CR split up.#1700-1705 and I believe the rest went to CSX.Then Ohio Central has one now as well.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
They're all running "heritage" paint jobs... ;) Gee, any other railroads we know of doing that...? Ahem... UP... cough, cough... :D

Andrew

brakie

No problem..The SDP45s was sold or traded in EXCEPT 3637 which was rebuilt into a RP-E6 slug number 9920.

CNWman

CNW Fan
sorry, off topic, but there you go again Cannonball! Make up your mind on the railroad your logo is going to be based off of! First it was BNSF (the Borgsign1 ), then it's plain ol ATSF, and now N&W? What's next, Union Pacific?