Would you quit your job?

Diezel

Jun 12, 2005
Montreal, QC
Hi,

I was just wondering who actually "though" of quitting their present job, to pursue something related to real trains. (there are those of you who already work in the field perhaps) the thought has crossed my mind, but would be worried not to be able to make ends meet. Not sure on how much they make etc.. so.

thannks for the feedback

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Nope, real railroaders work too hard for me. They got good bennies and pay but until you get enough seniority you will earn what you get!! You gotta really love that lifestyle to make it. Talk to a real railroader about what sucks and you'll see what I mean, it's not for everybody. And it's not all glamorous like we think it is.

2slim

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There are many factors to consider before making a job change. I have always been a proponent of leaving a job if you're not happy doing what you're doing, but you need to think about these other things, like if you're entering a field that you've never worked in before, is it as glamorous as you think. If you have to start at the bottom of the pay scale, will it be enough to support yourself and any dependents? Will there be a transistion period where you aren't working at either job, or going to school to learn a new trade, and can you provide enough support to pay the bills? Will the new job make you move to an area that you may not like living in? And lastly, do you have the talent and energy to hold your own in this new career choice?

The point is that you can't just leave one job and start a new career without some preparation. It's worth doing if that's what you want to do, just get the support from those you need to support you in your choices and be prepared so there are no big surprises.

Good luck at whatever you wind up doing.

Diezel

Jun 12, 2005
Montreal, QC
hey EZ, 2slim. I never actually "considered" changing jobs. But it seems that going back to school (train/or engineer school) would be kinda neat. Then see if VIA Rail Canada would hire me on as an engineer. I could do the evening shift, just, when the sun is starting to set. Hop into my locomotive and away I go. Nice to dream eh? :) Thanks for the feedback, it boils down to the fact that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence I guess eh?

=)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, if you ever do "consider it", you have my advice as to how to approach it. If you are serious, schooling is an essential step.

Would I consider it? Only if they let me build all the scenery and buildings around the route they run, since that's what I enjoy most about doing MRR now.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
If I was young again I would apply first thing in the morning.You when I worked for the PRR/PC and the C&O under the Chessie and then later the CSX banner I loved the work.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
jobs

I am well acquainted with several engineers, one not too long retired. They are relatively unhappy with their job, as quite frequently they are called on for unscheduled (for them) runs, anytime day or nite. It ate into family time. The work was OK, but couldn't plan family time.

Other than that, I don't know from nothing.

Lynn

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
CP will be hiring again in the fall, my son just got on and is now permanent, as a Locomotive attendent, he loves it.
He is taking Deisel machanic apprenticeship in 6 months.

The word is most of the guys will be retired in 7 years at the T/O yards.
So Think what you want, and apply for a postion just to get interview experiance.
Also you could end up in the boonies :rolleyes:

Diezel

Jun 12, 2005
Montreal, QC
Hehe, I live on the outskirts of montreal, Canada, is that the boonies already perhaps? =) . I have an equal interest in engineers for transportation as well as freight. (ie: viarail.ca) Problem is, I have a good salary where I am. I'd love to do volunteer work on the engines themselves. I even called CN and asked if they do this kind of thing. They said they have no volunteers most likely because it's a liability =( So, I'm getting the next best thing.A G Scale Garden Train =)

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
A co-worker of mine just left his current job (working with mentally ill adults) to work for BNSF--apparently the railroads are hiring, and the pay/ben are good but the work is hard.

Personally I am planning to quit my current job, eventually, to work at a railroad museum or otherwise in the history field--I am currently working on admission to a master's degree program with the very deliberate plan of getting a job at the local Railroad Museum.
So that's kind of a "railroad job", and I have considered the other kind, but kind of prefer the idea of doing research in an air-conditioned library.

But my co-worker's switch has me wondering...

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I did leave a job(just last October) for the one I'm currently in. You're right. I did contemplate, days,close to home, better pay, and EVERY weekend off!
After the interview, I made my decision before the car hit the end of the parking lot.
If the oppertunity to work on a railroad came about, would I make the same descision?
You bet!

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Not unless it had something to do with Steam Trains. :thumb:

The local "Portage Flyer" runs from May 24th weekend until Canadian Thanksgiving. I had thought of volunteering there, but there is a waiting list right now. :(

Maybe another year.

Actually, the steamer only runs in July and August. For May/June, Sept/Oct, they run the diesel.

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
i have all so had this thought to try to get a job with the railroad . when i was growing up i had a frind his dad worked for the D&H and i seem to remember him not beeing home verry much .

i also new a guy that workd for NS and i remember hi saying that when the pager beeped you had to go to work it didnt matter if you had no sell that day or not.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Those that I have known in my life who work for the railroad are all lifers or retiree's.
All of them love/loved the work. Oh they all have thier gripes and complaints and change which is a constant seems to be one of the biggest.
My neighbor(92 year old GN retiree) goes through the roof when he hears CTC.
That was a biggie change in his day.
They all say its hard work. Is it any harder than being a tile contractor? A logger? a Roofer?
All jobs are hard work if you have a good work ethic and work for your wages as you are expected too.
The pays good, the benefits are good, and your retirement is not subject to the whim of a bunch of politicians(i'm speaking of social security here in the states). That alone sounds like a good reason to seriously consider it as a career :)

Diezel

Jun 12, 2005
Montreal, QC
Interurban,

Thanks for the link, I have comtemplated that area. however, an hour and a half drive dosen't help. I'd have time to volunteer for 15minutes =( It's a very nice museum though, i've been there.

Diezel

Jun 12, 2005
Montreal, QC
Jetrock, good luck in your descision! let us know
As for everyone else, thanks for responding. I knew i wasn't alone hehe.
For now, i think I'll stick with my G scale railroad plans. I work in IT and i really
enjoy it, but there was always that ligering though!

thanks

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Volunteering is what got me started. A day here, a day there. Next thing I knew I was hired on for the summer. Went from shop work, to hostling, to conductor. Next stop, engineer! Ok, that won't happen for quite a few years, but they informed me that it was possible. So for right now I will stick to engineering my models. However, I did get some time at the throttle. Cruised around in the yard for a couple hours. IT WAS AWSOME!

Anywho, diezel good luck with your decision, and if you can find a day to go and volunteer at that museum, go for it. I know a guy who travels four hours to volunteer for a day.

Freelancer

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
While I cannot speak for Canada, I would have to tell anyone looking to quit their job and going to work for the railroad to think twice. Yes, the railroads are hiring like mad because of their keen ability to be short sighted. But, now the carriers are pushing for man road crews with the UP leading the pack saying that right now they could run one man crews from the Powder River Basin and also between North Platte/Grand Island/Council Bluffs.

This is the same UP that hired many folks back in the late '90's to help them get out of their self induced meltdown after the SP merger. When things got fluid again many of the new hires were promptly furloughed and many never came back. That same UP is hiring thousands of newhires since the 60/30 retirement bill allowed many oldheads to bail out and retire. What will happen to these thousands of new hires if the carriers get their wishes for one man road crews?

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
What age can you start working for a RR? i just turned 18 and i have a very nice job now but im not sure if i want own the store i am working at now or work on the RR when i get older.