Would you play a game with paper miniatures?

Hats

It's actually what brought me here. I'm making a ton of Warhammer vehicles for friendly games. I also play FlipIt and have one of the larger collections I know about.

Phenotype

There are a few out there now, but the game play itself is not that fun. Most seem to be based on the rock, paper, scissors type game play.

JackAce

nah i don't think it would hold up to my abuse.
i'm not big into tabletop gaming anyway but if i am going to do it i'd rather have a custom painted hard plastic or metal set of figures to play with.
mostly because they look better and they won't get all soggy if i spell booze on them.

Chameleon

I've been playing (pencil/paper/dice) Dungeons and Dragons since it came out in the '70s. There have been numerous times when we did not have (lead) miniatures available so we had to make do with handmade paper standups on hand-drawn maps. We still use them to supplimant our painted (expensive) minis when we need more figures than we own.
A couple of years ago I found a boxed game set called Mordheim that contains a collection of molded plastic figure parts that can be put together in many ways and a whole neighborhood of (somewhat ruined) buildings that are 3-d and... PAPER! These are a lot lighter to carry around than those dwarven forge plaster dungeon tiles.
We have even made and used paper dice. Speaking of dice I just put together a "dice tower" out of paper. It cuts down on the "lucky" dice throws if you know what I mean.

Bencool141

Probably. If it wasn't too obviously paper, I'd probably use it - and even then, only in games with people I know well.

etheren

I would definitely play, but a great deal of my enjoyment comes from painting those little hunks of plastic.

stormwraith58

Use to love playing Dungeons and Dragons... My friends would drive me nuts to create walls, characters, wepons and other stuff... I miss that alot...

olberon

im not really a cheapskate if it comes to buying warhammer at a shop, but since i travel alot its almost impossible to transport my hobby around the world. i found ot papercrafting some stuff is actually more fun to do and a lot cheaper :D

jnjoker100

Hi:

How many of you would play a game made of paper miniatures that would expand to a complete universe?
Just like those miniature table games, with plastic and lead, but this one all made of paper.

Depending on the game, if we could make a magic the gathering version i would play...

uradodah

I'd give it a go as long as the game-play was good enough to warrant the time spent making the models. What's more, if it was a roll-playing game where you could create many different types/kinds/"races" of characters, it would be even neater to be able to mix and match a few parts somehow - such as a (small/large) torso/legs with a different style head, etc.

Rissa

Sure, I would play em!
If I could figure out how to design certain pieces for a game that I want, I would use them in a heartbeat.

Brush on a bit of liquid plastic.. let it dry, and your good to go.

smoe

I play pencil and paper dungeons and dragons, but i find using miniatures annoying. I don't mind using maps, but I prefer the rest to be in my head.