would they be in use.

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by sirhb, Jan 14, 2006.

1. sirhb

sirhb New Member

Would the shays and climax locos still be in use in the 1940's? If not what would be there operational years?
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The Western Maryland's #6 was the last one built in 1945. I've got old MRs that have shays and climaxes pulling loads in North Carolina in the late 1960s. Mich-Cal #2 was the longest lived in active service at 61 years. Starting out as a wood burner and eventually refitted for oil burning, Tom Jinkerson was its only engineer that whole time---he even went with it when it was sold to another company.

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I'll have to dig a little but, somewhere in my archives I have an article on a climax whose boiler was scrapped and replaced with a deisel engine and mechanical transmission that worked a steel mill for many years that way.
  4. jetrock

jetrock Member

There were a handful of backwoods lumber operations that were still using geared locomotives until the 1950s. Any such units would be battered, weathered and generally look through-the-wringer, and probably working jealously alongside the lumber company's one or two shiny new diesels (especially if set after 1945) but yes, there are prototypes. Such a setup would be ideal if you love weathering!

Here's a link to the Westside Lumber Company, a company that used Shays and Heislers until 1961!
  5. grlakeslogger

grlakeslogger Member

Don't forget West Side Lumber Co., which operated geared locos up until 1962. And, when did Mower shut down at Cass, WV?

Shays and Heislers were still alive.

Climax Mfg. Co. eased out of production by the Great Depression, but there locos lived on, with a lively market in spare parts keeping them going for some years. Oso Publishing's book, "The Climax Locomotive", details this.

I model 1947 in northern Wisconsin. The logging portion of my very-much-under-construction layout is freelanced because the heyday of Wisconsin railroad logging was past by then. But, in my world, I will have no problem running oil-fired geared locos with more modern appliances like steel cabs, generators, and electric headlights. I don't think you'd see wood burners out there anymore.

Remember too that there were a number of significant common carrier railroads that did not leap to dieselization. A fair number ran some steam until around 1955.