Worst structure model??

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by Amrap1, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Amrap1

Amrap1 Member

How many of you have bought a kit only to find out that:

The instructions were so vague that you need to be an engineer to figure them out?:cry:
    Part numbers were wrong?:cry:
    Extra or missing parts?:cry:
    The picture on the box doesn't match how the parts fit together?:cry:

Don't buy IHC's "Skid Row's Lumber Company"!! The instructions suck, some of the part numbers don't match and some of the parts didn't fit where they should. :curse:

Maybe some "seasoned" modelers can help us newer people on which companies make the better model kits and which ones to shy away from???? :thumb: :thumb:

(could this be where kit-bashing got it's start?)sign1
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I am puting together a IHC coal bunker and it is taking forever!!!:curse: :curse: :curse:

The kit is from the mid 1980's and it is N scale, the instructions are horrible and the pieces don't seem to fit together right, I have to do some minor modifiying to some of them for them to go together right!!:curse: :curse:

I thought that it was so hard and confusing because it was from so long ago but it looks like you are also having problems to :cry: :cry:

Anyone else had problems with IHC kits?

I like Walthers Cornerstone Series Buildings the best.
  3. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

I have 5x of a Cardstock interlocking tower I picked up, what a useless model.
  4. ESE999

ESE999 Member

I bought a beautiful bachmann spectrum sears catalog house a few of years ago, and the thing was a mess! The parts didn't fit, some of the walls were bent (I REALLY HATE BENT WALLS:curse: :curse: :curse: ), it had more part than any building I ever did before, and I never finished the house. :cry: Nowadays after having done quite a few building kits, I wished I had the kit brand new to try again.
  5. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

--------- emphasis flagrantlly added ------------

So long ago? My god the mid 1980's!!! I guess we didn't know how to write -- way back then.

Anyone else feel ancient after reading this? sign1
  6. TruckLover

sign1 sign1 I got the kit for $10 and thought it would be worth it since it look so cool on the box
  7. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Just getting back into the hobby in HO I can think back to the 60s,70s, and 80s. My first kit I got around 68, N scale, I thought the kit was very bad as far as parts fitting like they should and being warped:curse: . I got back into HO scale in the 70s and wasn't very happy with the kits I bought then:curse: . In the early 80s I build to small N layouts for my oldest sons. I put together several kits for them purchased in German hobby shops (I was stationed in Germany) and was very please with the kit quality:thumb: ! The only fault with the German kits were the instructions. They tended to be one page and you about needed a magnifying glass to make some of the stuff out:rolleyes: .

Most of what I have put together for my current restart are Corner Stone from Whalters. I am very impressed with the building kits :thumb: :thumb: but was somewhat disappointed:curse: in the container trailers that I got.

I too would like some input on other brands that are good.

8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I have a few card buildings that I don't know what I'm supposed to do with -- most of the building is a shop front and I think I have to cut in and fold in the window and door areas.
    The English have a reputation for producing kits with badly written instructions, badly drawn diagrams (if there are any) and unreadable reproduction. And the kits! Someone said it's not building X's locomotive kit; it's building a locomotive using some of the parts from X's kits. (I think it's improved lately but some of the garbage is still on the shelves.)
  9. Amrap1

Amrap1 Member

I've done some Corner Stone kits and they are very good. I haven't been doing this long enough to remember companies or brands.I will never buy another IHC kit again.

10. TruckLover

Another bad structure!!

The other strucure I got was a Con-Cor Substation kit from around the same time as the other I think.

Just started building this one and this one is also N scale.

I have to bend all the wires for this thing. I have to measure them out in mm and then use 2 pairs of plyers to bend the wire to the shape in the drawling. X 18 times with all of them being different lengths wall1:curse: :mad: hamrThese stupid things take me about 5-10 mins per wire so that adds up to a lot of time, I am only half way through them :curse: :cry:

I also noticed that there is not even any writing on the instructions, just illistrations!!:cry:

Bought both of these structures from a guy on another forum that had them laying around and wanted to sell them, bought both of them for $10 ea. to but I almost wish that I had not because they are so difficult sign1
  11. brakie

brakie Active Member

While not a true kit I find DPM's modular sections to be hard to work with.I also have a love/hate relationship with Pike Stuffs line of buildings.
  12. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

I too have had negative experiences with IHC kits. DPM modular parts require trimming and filing to fit well. Their Gold kits are the same but still make great looking structures. I have had some bad luck with some (not many) Walthers kits, specifically they don't always fit well at the corners and some walls are warped. However. Walthers does make true rail-size buildings and they are the majority of the kits (and kitbashes) on my layout. I love American Model Builders kits. On the wooden side of things, I have several kits from JL Inovative Designs that are great.
  13. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

I think the IHC carnival kits are horrible!!! Anyone else find them disturbing?
  14. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Same here, frustrating to build, but I need them!
  15. stripes

stripes Member

That was the first question I asked when going into business. I wound up with these kits because of their quality, customer service and relitive ease to build.

Plastic/ resin,
    City Classics

Laser cut wood,
    JL Innovative
    RS Laser
    Osborn Models

16. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

You might also consider Hamilton Model Works. Brian is very helpful and produces some good quality kits with fine details. THey are not laser cut, but are definitely a huge step (or two or three) above the old "craftsman" kits which were basically a box of wood with the instructions "assemble parts to match picture". ;) :D

17. stripes

stripes Member

I will check them out right now, Thanks Andrew !!
  18. MasonJar

19. stripes

stripes Member

Thanks Andrew, I already found his site and sent him an email about carrying his kits.
    I love to deal with Canadians whenever possible! :thumb:

20. MasonJar

For the record, I have his 22' wodden bridge, the coal dealer, scalehouse/yard office, and grain elevator. I have not yet built the grain elevator, but he was extremely helpful with the interior layout of the scalehouse. His instructions are very good, and clear for the most part (although like almost any other modeller I suppose, I did do a few things differently ;)).

The only thing I have from him that I did not like was the grey wood stain. While it looks fabulous, I did not like the fact that it was turps or mineral spirits (not sure which) that was required to dilute and apply it. To be fair, on the plus side, it does not warp the wood like water-based stains.

I can't seem to locate any pictures of my scale house, but you can see my coal shed here: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=6563