worst kit?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by NULLMOON, Feb 26, 2008.

NULLMOON Member

whats the worst kit you have ever purchased? we see praise for all the really great kits on here now how about some exploration of the bad kits the ones to be avoided,the nightmares in card.........
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Well I build free models exclusively so no comments from me... But I think building a really bad kit isn't a bad thing, it helps you in learning to admire the fit of good kits :D
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

the MODELCARD kit that come in one BOOKLET 2 models

bf109 & hurican
  4. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

I didn't purchas any...but I saw the worst kit ever as a freee one......I believe I thought it was.........*"Can't say*
  5. Niels

Niels Member

Constructive critic is OK - but...

When it comes to the free models from the internet - I think, that it is better to share any complaints with the designer (off-list) instead of posting it here. :thumb:
  6. Runkle

Runkle New Member

I haven't posted much here, and to top it off I'm a convert from the plastic world do to this forum (that's a good thing). But after giving it a crack, I've quickly realized it's not as easy as it looks. The amount of time put into research, trial runs to final design... well if you have not tried designing one of your own, let me tell you, my hat is always off.

I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and detail. The first models I purchased, after doing the necessary research to fit my criteria, were models designed by Halinski. After flipping though the first couple of pages my jaw was on the floor. Not willing to destroy what he created for the sake of trial and error, I decided to try a download instead. Again, being that stickler for historical accuracy and detail I chose one that claimed as much.

After the download and paying more than I payed for one of Halinski's models, do to the fact that it was not converted from EURO to USD by the seller. At the time that didn't bother me much knowing what goes into designing a paper model. After opening the file I was rather disappointed. The claim of historical accuracy was not true.

I started out by doing what I aways have done before making a model... research. I quickly discovered however the original designer had not done his. I was modifying the downloaded design and soon realizing there was way too much work on his model that needed to be done, so I decided to design one of my own...

I'm still working on it in my free time and if that was not enough I'm designing two models at the same time.

Moral of this story... don't knock it unless you have tried it. Like Neils stated, contact the designer and let he/she know what you have discover during your build to help them in future designs and/or fixing existing designs.

7. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Maybe you are right , but we have to warn the others , isn't it?

NULLMOON Member

i mainly wanted this thread about published kits free kits are free therefore you cant complain some of the fre kits ive built are supior to what ive paid money for:rolleyes:sometimes its not the designer at fault its a publisher who for example prints a model with lots of rolled tubes on 0.3mm card or prints across staple lines
  9. I totally agree. if a designer takes the time to design then give his work away free the least we can do is communicate with him or her in private with our suggestions. I have done so numerous times and have always has an appreciative response. Constructive criticism is usually welcomed but let's refrain from public humiliation.
  10. bclemens

bclemens Member

In praise of bad (free) kits

No, free kits should not be criticized publically, but by all means critique them privately to the designer. When I (ever) finish my first design, I will release it to the pack and look forward to all the criticism it deserves. That is what makes the design and the designer better.

We need to look at free kits as opportunities. An old adage says "The poor carpenter blames his tools for the inferior product he creates." In a similar vein, the poor modeler blames his model...We can take a bad model and, applying our hard earned skill, experience, and talent, create a wonderful result and a very fulfilling experience. Whether that bad model is free or bought, we can overcome the problems, and learn valuable modeling lessons in the attempt.

Bad kits should not be shunned...they should be attempted with regularity. I always tell my students "Always operate at the edge of your limitations. That's the only place you can push them back."

But, as Nullmoon said at the start of this thread, "What's the worst kit you ever purchased?" As soon as you put your creations out on the free market for money, you have entered an entirely different arena. You are subject to the slings and arrows of the Plebeians who pay you their hard earned money for the pleasurable experience of building a well designed, good fitting kit.

And you are subject to the representative of those Plebeians, the critic. As in cinema or art, there are those who take the liberty of writing for the masses about the perceived foibles of someone else's creation...when that creation is offered up for paid public consumption. When it comes to models offered up for sale, bring on the critics! Let this thread move forward!

11. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

bclemens is so right . A free kit is "take it or leave it " thing , if you don't like it don't build it , there is no loss in this situation.
    But when you purchase a kit and it has many problems that's a big problem. I see a big ,big, big problem when you discover that a model that cost over 70-80 $ have problems.
    I repeat my point of view: this thread must warn potential costumers to avoid lossing money.
  12. paperpanzer

paperpanzer Member

I agree with Dragos, if major faults or poorly fitting parts are found with commercial models then that should be shared with the rest of the forum, that is what its here for. I would be surprised if the major model manufactures weren't keeping a watchful eye on the forum's for feedback on their models.

Speaking as a part-time designer any constructive feedback is always welcome. Personally I get a kick out of finding that someone has taken time to build one of my models and has made the effort to tell me and make suggestions on how to improve them.

Card models are in a unique position in that the models can be changed quite easily in comparison to changing a mould design for plastic, resin or white metal.