Worried about new engine

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
I bought my IHC 2-10-2 steamer about a month ago. It has run flawlessly. I purchased this engine NEW AND UNUSED in the box. (However I bought it on ebay...dont know how old it is) I havent ran it very much (been busy ballasting) but last night my girlfriend took it around the tracks and I noticed a subtle squeek coming from the engine...I also noticed some sparks from the track..but that I contribute to track. What could this be? Ive checked teh wheels and they are clean. Should I get this in for a lube and a check up? Its never been used, but it may have been sitting in the box a few years.

I should mention that one bad thing did happen. The train (at very very slow speed) hit a the transformer (it was too close to the track) and stopped cold for about three seconds while I yelled at her to kill the power. After that...I noticed the squeek. Could I have toasted the engine? It runs fine...still moving just like it did, just with the squeek.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again folks

TJ

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Maybe you have fried all the lubrication with some sort of short... if it made some sort of "unadvisable" contact with the powerpack.

The IHC engines are not very complicated. You might tackle this yourself. Be sure to take lots of digital pics or make some sketches as you take it apart. I have had my IHC/Mehano Pacific apart quite a few times to try and adjust weights, remove dead smoke generator, rewire for tender pick-ups etc. Not very difficult - just take your time.

If the lube is indeed dried out, then the rule of thumb is "grease for gears" and oil for everything else. Get some quality lubricants from the train store, and use them very sparingly, as too much is almost more of a problem than too little. Use a pin to apply tiny drops of oil to the bearings at each end of the motor (for example).

Andrew