World's longest model locomotive project?

C

Catt

Anybody remember when RPP brought out the SD60 shell and frame? That's when I started this project.It was the easiest way to get a proper length frame for this beastie.At this point everything you see except for the drivetrain is RPP.I may get it finished this year. :mrgreen:

sdp45-3.jpg

sdp45-1.jpg

sdp45-2.jpg

The shell exstention is done with the rearend of a RPP GP35 shell.

I have alot to do to it yet,but I'm in no hurry cause I don't have anyplace to run it anymore.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The Athearn loco is a "DD40", with a spartan cab. There is no prototype for it.

The photo you linked to is the DDA40X, which has a wide-body safety cab.. Definitely NOT the Athearn model!

The only prototype 8-axle EMD DD with a spartan cab would be the DD35... In U.S. railroad service anyway. Other countries like Brazil did buy some "kitbashed" locos, like an 8-axle SD45 that used the DD trucks (single prime mover, unlike the U.S. DDs which has two).

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Nice work :thumb:

Ahhhhh...Athearn's DD40. Yes, I've heard the stories---the one I like says she's a model of a DD35 prototype that was never built---but hey, it's quite a lokey. I have two of the twin motored beasties. Both are remotored with the 3rd generation skew wound motors and have NWSL wheelsets installed on every other driver. An ongoing, non-urgent project currently waiting to have DCC installed in them as well as bash a third into a cabless B unit. I'm shooting for 200+ car trains at shows eventually.

Attachments

• dd40.jpg
    dd40.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 257
C

Catt

Well gee guys,the pictured loco is a SDP45 of Erie Lakawanna heritage.

It is NOT a figment of Irv Athearn's imagination or anyone elses.:D This paticular unit will most likely get an EL style paint job with Grande Valley Railway spelled out in caps on the wide stripe that goes completely around the body.In fact it may even get said paint job in EL colours (I'm rather fond of that colour scheme :D ).

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ahhh, he says, as shaygetz realizes that the topic is the longest locomotive PROJECT...not just locomotive:eek:ops:

My two longest projects would have to be my boxcab electric at a shade under 11 years from start to finish and my Bowser K4...so old it still has the Penn Line name cast on it placing her date of manufacture in 1963. One can only imagine how many swap meets and yard sales the old girl went thru over the years to get to my workbench:thumb:

That thing would look great in Erie paint...even better in Espee's Black Widow :D :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I've got a John English Pacific that's been undergoing various cosmetic rebuilds since the late '50s, and it was a well used loco when I acquired it. It's in the shop now for conversion to a Grand Valley loco: this will entail removal of an Elesco fwh system, replacement of a vestibule cab and replacement of a scratchbuilt tender. If it ever gets finished, I'll post before and after pictures. By the way, it's still a smooth runner and pulls well.

Wayne

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I"had" a Budd RDC car kit that I think I bought new about 1954. sheet steel frame with cast ends and couragated steel shell. Never did finish it. everytime I tried to run it, the motor magnet would stick to the steel frame on the first curve it came to. Trashed it several years ago. Ah the good ol' days.

C

Catt

That thing would look great in Erie paint...even better in Espee's Black Widow

Some of them did make it to Espee's bloodynose scheme.At least one made it to Uncle Pete's gray and yellow.(These units are rebuilt as SD40-3s according to my info)