Worldcon and Cascadiacon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lizzienewell, Aug 17, 2005.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

The thread may be old, but the topic is current...and they happen to be speaking of MY neck of the woods...I am glad it came back up...almost forgot.
  2. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

I have a relative in Littlerock; never been there, though ...
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Jeez, I wasnt blasting the guy for postingin an old thread, I just like it when oldies come back up again.
  4. widget

widget Member

5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It's fun seeing this come up again. I couldn't go to any conventions last year but I'm making plans for this summer. I'll be going or Archon in Collinsville Illinois. It's the North American Science-fiction and Fantasy convention. Whenever the world convention is off the continent there is a North American convetion for those who can't afford the airfare.
    I'll be entering the artshow again. Woops! better get to work so that I have something to show.
    Are any of the rest of you going? It would be nice to have a cardmodeling presence at SF conventions.

6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Mike, Make up with your relative (lol) and come 4 miles east and say HI !
  7. deltic03

deltic03 New Member

Arghhhh I feel like Frankenstine......Waht have I done?????:-D
  8. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Looks like a good thing to me! (Thought I was gone, didn't you all?:twisted: )
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I've been wondering about you, Rick!
    You disappeared on us for a while.
    Good to see you stop in!

10. deltic03

deltic03 New Member

Ahhhh some good did come of it!!!!:-D
  11. panzer

panzer Member

That's exactly what I think about that kind of "fandom" but my English isn't good enough to say it like you did. I have never visited a convention, but the photos I have seen and the discussions I have read in some forums are enough for me. Small...well...let's say full figured:roll: ladies with tight-fitting jumpsuits who are taking themselves for Counselor Troi, linnets with thick glasses who are pretending to be 7 ft. high Klingon warriors (and of course, still are wearing their glasses:) )... This is really strange.

I really love Star Trek, but I'm just a fan of all the series, not a "Trekkie". I don't tax my brain about every little scene whether it is an inconsistence or not, and I don't check every decision of a captain for a violation of the "Holy Federation's Holy Book Of Holy Laws" (or something like that...:grin:).
  12. deltic03

deltic03 New Member

I have to admit that you have hit the nail on the head, some do take it to far.
  13. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I think the Trekkie phenomena has died down a bit. Fantasy seems to be on the rise over science-fiction. The pirates may be outnumbering the Klingons.

14. davelant

davelant Member

I just wanted to put in another good word about Wonderfest in Louisville

Paper models are welcome in the model competition. I can't prove it, but I may have entered the first paper model to appear at Wonderfest, in 2005. I won a small prize, the equivalent of honorable mention, in 2005 with a "Go-Go Yubari" (designed by Pikapyon), and the same award in 2006 with a Pristontale Archer. That year, there were actually two Archers entered in the show!

It's a relaxed show, centered around SF/Fantasy/Horror models and media fiction, without the "weird" or "scary" vibe. All modeling media are accepted, but primarily you will see a lot of beautifully crafted plastic. It may be too late to make plans for this Memorial Day show, but I've been there every year since 1999, and only my daughter's high school graduation prevents my attendance this year.