World War I Fighter

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by NOBI, Oct 5, 2004.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Just a question...if we said "World War I Fighter" what r u thinking first? Sopwith Camel? Vicker Vimy? Neuport 27? Spad XII? Fokker Dr.1? or....
  2. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

The red Fokker D-VII. This was the very first kit I bought. Paid $.50 for it out of a Mom and Pop hardware store called 'Duffy's Hardware' in Michigan. Stick and tissue painted with a 15 cent bottle of red dope. Times have changed. Penny bubble gum is now 15 cents, dope is not for painting and you'll be hard pressed to find a stick and tissue for less than $5.00
  3. Horus

Horus Member

Gotta be the Camel! 8)
  4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Sopwith Pup - at least that's what I'd like to see as a really good paper model. Such a good-mannered and graceful aeroplane, I understand. Was on the cover of one of the first Aeromodeler magazins I got as a subscriber in 1959. 1/16 (there's a scale for you...) or possibly 1/12 I believe it was, stick and tissue, plus a 0,5 cc Albon Dart diesel - and a pendulum elevator for free-flight. Advanced stuff!

Never built it in any way shape or form. Always wanted to.

Next step on that road: Revell's 1/24 (I believe it was) Sopwith Camel and red Fokker Triplane in plastic. Even displayed those during a school project in English (of all subjects; made a presentation in English of course).

And the Guillows rubber-powered Sopwith Camel. Fond and happy memories. Loved the balsa stick structure, and the red vacuum-formed parts. Never got around to covering it; and a good thing too - never got good instructions for how and when to use the right kind of dope, until much later in life.

And again: Guillows SE5A - big brute of a model for RC, but converted it to control line, underpowered with a Veco 19 (never finished).

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Albatros DIII.

Tim P

PS or maybe the Fokker DVII

PPS or maybe the SE5a

PPPS or maybe the Neiuport 17

PPPPS or maybe the DH9a

PPPPPS or maybe ..............
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

You're asking a loaded question. It brings ethnocentric and nationalistic emotions into the choice matrix.

The American cartoon character Snoopy popularized the Red Baron and the Dr.I to a larger portion of the World's population. So if you do a Red Triplane it's instantly recognizable as the "Red Baron" icon. So you see choice depends who it's directed at and by what artifices to aid and trigger the emote response used so widely in modern advertising. I use this as an example to detail the "loaded question" used earlier.

The term "Flying Circus" was coined by the Germans when a Jasta's brightly painted aircraft were loaded on flat bed train cars for transport to a new aerodrome looked like a circus train. You ask, "why didn't they just fly them to the new aerodrome". Answer, the German Command wanted to make sure that all of them made it to the new aerodrome...,

This leads to the suggestion of a series of one or two type aircraft known to a particular Jasta with the different paint schemes of a particular snap shot in time.

Just and idea..., Best regards, Gil
  7. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

For me it's the Nieuport 17 for it's graceful stance and with the Souix warrior on the side. The Spad XIII with the "hat in the ring" markings. The Spad has an aggressive profile and Spad is such a great work, it rimes with BAD. As you can see my choices are romantic ones and not based so much on preformance or deep history although both planes are rich in background.

Thanks Gil for the explanation of the "flying circus". I have always wondered.

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey I agree with jyduchene..........the Nieuport 17 but with Billy Bishop at the controls.....sweeping those skies clear of Huns. Can ya tell I read alot of Arch Whithouse as a boy!
    S.E.5a was nice too! and what about the Sopwith Pup and Triplane and maybe the 1 1/2 strutter and.........
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Well, if you asked "World War I Figher Ace", I would immediately say Snoopy. :lol:

But, since you only asked about an airplane :D , I will have to say Albatros DIII or Fokker DVII; yes, the first two planes I built as a child, out of balsa and tissue. I still have a photo of a little FG Fokker DVII I built a while back...not very detailed but it was loads of fun to put together!

10. Darwin

Darwin Member

This is getting a bit spooky. Fokker D-VII....Comet kit, almost got assembled (if only someone had just told me about putting a layer of waxed paper on the plans first!!!). Must have been a rite of passage for us seasoned citizens.
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Darwin, mine was a Guillow kit...and they DID suggest using wax paper! :lol: Somehow that Ambroid cement stuck to the paper a bit anyway. :D

Ah, the memories. :D

I even did a Halberstadt two seater...forget the correct designation, it's been over 30 years since I made that one...that was fun. I added the rear gun out of scrap balsa...guess that was my first kit bash. :D

12. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

The pushers, like the DH-2.
  13. tino

tino Member

Only one... Its hard to say but the Fokker DrI from the Red Baron is the firts to come in mind.
    But there is other planes that come immediactly to my that are covered by the mist. They are the heavy bombers from WWI like the Gothas.
  14. morewings

morewings New Member

Hi Gil, :wink:

my project has started.Warbirds of spring 1918. Jasta 19, Jasta 2 "Boelcke", the triplanes of MvR. Scale 1:33.
    And some Albatros DV and Fokker DVII are following.

Best regards
  15. Jim Krauzlis

Boy, was I wrong :oops: was the Rumpler C5 by Guillow...just saw it on eBay.

Almost as much fun making those balsa and tissue kits as building them out of paper...anyone know of a Rumpler C5 made from paper?

Nice project, Roman! Sure would like to see larger photos of them. :D

16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Roman,

Well thought out project! Building thus brings out the historical aspect of the actual planes and their pilots. I like the context which it brings to modeling..., that it's more than just a model but a reminder of major and lasting events in the course of modern civilization.

And please do show larger photos of them.

Best regards, Gil
  17. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Well the Camel and Albatross is what first comes to mind, although a Rumpler (which I have never seen) also pops up.

Guess I read too many Biggles books.
  18. Jim Krauzlis

19. Ron

Ron Member

I have to say the Albatros D.V or the Fokker D.II. This is probably just wishful thinking for a large scale model of either of these :)

20. Ron

Ron Member

Gil, Have a look in the articles section. I did a mini write-up on Roman's Dr.1's. awhile back. There are some larger pics of his creations there.
    I was just on Roman's site a few minutes back and noticed that his 1:33
    models are now available in pdf and we can pay with paypal