Working with PDO

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Dennis D, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Dennis D

Dennis D Member

Noob here. Been lurking on your forum and have found tons of great tips, links, & info! :grin:

Came across a link to a chubby little "Baby C-130" on a Japanese site. Downloaded it and the PDO software and I even figured out how to print it. Sorry that I don't have either link with me now. I'm a C-130 Crew Chief in the USAF and I can't wait to build it. :smile:

Now here's my question. Can I "repaint" the model using the PDO software? Or do I have to use something like Photoshop or GIMP? :?: I'd like to re-do it in USAF colors, maybe even a couple of different schemes like, Southeast Asia, European I, Air Superiority Gray, etc. Maybe even USCG orange/white!
  2. Ziga

Ziga Member

I know this is not the right reply, but for those who want the "Baby C-130" here is the link:

Best regards,
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

PDO files are primarily used by Pepakura which is an unfolding software. The only way you will be able to use repaint the file is to get it to a format which Paint Shop Pro or any other graphics program can handle. Pepakura Viewer doesn't allow exporting the files, unfortunately.

As for C-130s, I hope you have seen NOBI's Herc. If not, it's at and is a very nice model.

It would be fairly easy to convert to a format you can repaint.
  4. modelincard

modelincard Member

I don't know, but PePuKaRa does offer a payware editor/designer of PDO models. That may allow you to repaint it.
    I hope this helps.
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You can always scan it.......load it into a paint program and do the recolor. Worked for me. I love that chubby little C-130 model! :grin:
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Unfortunately, the payware version of Pepakura doesn't allow repainting. It works the same as the shareware version except you are allowed to open additional file types. Opening a PDO file in Pepakura Designer causes the program to shift to the viewer for opening and printing.

The only possibility I can suggest is to use a file printer. Open the subject in the viewer, and print to TIFF, PDF, JPG or whichever format you prefer. I use a program called Zan Image Printer to accomplish this. There are others out there which may accomplish the same thing.

You can find Zan Image Printer at
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

In Pepakura Viewer you can copy the developement to the clipboard then paste it into your graphics program to edit it. At the top of the Pepakura Viewer window there is a menu item called DevelopedViewWindow. The drop down list has a Copy Developement to Clipboard choice. It gives you a choice of the percent or height and width in pixels.

I have noticed that all of the pages for a multi page model are shown in the Developement window when using Pepakura Viewer. When you copy the developlement to the clipboard and paste it in your graphics program you get a graphic that has all of the pages as one large page. You have to cut it up into the different pages and scale them to get them to print on the size of paper you are using. You can scale them all the same percentage so the parts still fit. [​IMG]
  8. Dennis D

Dennis D Member

Thanks, SCE! :grin: I'll give it a try after I build one of the "Chubby C-130" as is, in it's Japanese Defense Force markings!

Can I import it back using the clipboard after I alter it? :?

I'm currently crewing HC-130s (Combat Search & Rescue), so I might want to add some pieces (the outboard underwing refueling pods) for that version...
  9. Dennis D

Dennis D Member

That looks like a magnificent model. :shock: Also way beyond my ablities/time right now.

I'll just ease into this with the little "Chubby C-130," thanks! :grin:
  10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hi sir!!! Nice to have a 130 Crew here!!!

Still, you might give Sir Nobi's C-130 a try. Maybe if there's still some space inside the plane (and if allowed) you can display it there :wink:
  11. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hans : The idea is most scale-like! Reminiscent of my first LIVE sighting of the Herk in 1968. It's a USAF C-130 delivering ambulance to Jolo Airport, Jolo, Sulu.

12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

After keeping an eye on this thread and watching a Military Channel program on the AC-130 last night, I began thinking about the C-130. I spent more than 20 years in the Air Force, and during that time flew on a Herc many times. So, for the fun of it, I decided I would try and figure out how many of the 70 some odd versions I have been on.

The versions I can recall best are WC-130, HC-130, MC-130 and AC-130. There was also a ski-equipped A model in Alaska, and two non specialized, regular cargo hauling model which weren't A models.

Not a bad list of Hercs for a guy with a ground job 8v)
  13. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Ashrunner, the second time I met the HERC (not, Herk, sorry) was in 1995 and have had every forthnigtly flight from Mussandam (by the Hormuz Strait) to Muscat (Sultanate of Oman), and back, for the whole of six months of my assignment in that place. Being with the Ministry of Defence, the flight (as PAX of course) was the courtesy of Royal of Oman Air Force's C-130's. I've noticed three different serial numbers but I have no idea of the models. These are of the short fuselage type.....Regards