Working the layout - time to party

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Below is the invite I posted for my last layout party. This will be explained at your read further. This is my third year of hosting these parties so I am actually getting a sense of what I am doing now. I will be advertising in a number of forums, so apologises to those who bounce between many. You will see threads I have included at the bottom of the invite so you can peruse at your own pleasure as you make up your mind whether to join in. I can say, that everyone in all the parties have had a good time.

This one will be called: Workin the layout – time to party

Okay,
I know you're out there. Yeah you, and you, and you with the potato chip hanging off your lip and the half drunk coke sitting beside you...lol. I know you're not working on your layout as much as you hoped to. Well what I am proposing is a layout party for a 5 week period - a layout design self help group.

The purpose of the group is to encourage others to get out of their armchair and do some more work on the layout. And also to motivate you (and me) to do more work on our layout. I am hoping we can get a small group (but no one will be rejected) of people who will be committed to posting their work on the layout from the following week. This means for 5 weeks you are committed to posting once a week (or more – several did). We will of course congratulate those who work on their layout, and encourage those who haven't.

Rules:

1. Brief description of your layout to present, with what you want to accomplish in the next 5 weeks (don't make it grandiose is my recommendation).

2. Brief description of what you hope to accomplish in the next week.

3. A commitment to posting once a week describing what you have or have not done. It is important to report if you have "fallen off the wagon (not worked on the layout" so that we can see all are human here, and that we can encourage you). You can include pictures, problems you have encountered, get bragging rights around the cooler, etc. I’m looking for you to walk the walk, as well as talk the talk.

4. A commitment to not fudging your reply so that you look better than you are really doing. By joining this group, you are acknowledging already that you haven't worked on the layout as much as you know you should have. The idea here is for us to have some fun and act as an electronic round robin self help group. When I have others coming over to my home to help me build, I am more efficient because I have to plan and prepare, then work when they arrive. Well, this is the the internet round robin group, we may not be able to physically help you out, but we can support you and your efforts.

Many had a good time with this format. It was not uncommon to hear people say they had accomplished more work on their layout in the short time we ran the thread than they had in long time. Many posted pictures, asked questions, helped others, moaned about their problems, and encouraged others through theirs. I am including the threads to the last three layout parties if you want to check out what happened and what is expected out of you. I host this at www.trainboard.com in the “Layout Design” forum; I am the moderator there. I have found it is easier to keep track of one longer thread there than in some other forums. Also trainboard has free Image hosting (picture hosting) so you might want to take advantage of that forum. You have to join the trainboard to participate, but it is free.

Again, the title of the thread will be: Working the layout – time to party

If you have any problems joining trainboard or posting pics, let me know. And I will get some one to assist you. Just around Xmas some were having trouble getting a password, but that has been solved now.

From Arm Chair to Benchwork
http://www.trainboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/33/t/000234/p/1.html?

Lonely Hearts Club Band
http://www.trainboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000106

High Balling the layout
http://www.trainboard.com/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/33/t/000178.html

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Gee Rick,Thanks for the invite but my layout is finish except for adding some mini scenes here,there and yond..BTW I drink Diet Pepsi and munch on peanuts.:D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Rick that sounds like a good idea. Having said that count me out for two reasons.

1- Bad timing, I'm getting ready to head south in two weeks

2- I already spend to much time on line and belong to too many
forums

Wish you and everyone who joins in the best of luck! :wave:

Mrs.Mac

Nov 6, 2003
Van Buren, MI
Visit site
I'm game!

1. Layout Description: Trackwork is done. Working on scenery, wiring, buildings, etc.
Things to accomplish in the next 5 weeks: Finish wiring (switches, reversing sections, trolley level with auto reverse, dcc components I receive for my birthday) Finish servicing the trains I received at Christmas.

2. This week will be dedicated to wiring. I working on the switches now, and should finish those (with the exception on one that is wired incorrectly internally) night. Wire up the 2 reversing sections. Start work on connecting the auto rev. unit to the trolley level.

3. I will post once a week for updates.

4. I will not fudge my responses, even if I've been a couch engineer.

Here is a pretty good shot of where I am today.

Mrs. Mac

Attachments

• train layout-mountain.jpg
    train layout-mountain.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 237

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Mrs. Mac
I'm just doing this at www.trainboard.com
Its easier to keep track of people and goals and to have a "party" atmosphere if we are meeting all in one forum

Joining is free. A number of us are active in more than one forum. Overall I am active here at the gauge (mostly on chat), trainboard and atlas. So you can join the party there and still be loyal here.:wave:

Just do a copy of your reply here and once you have joined trainboard, paste it in the layout design forum, "Working the layout - time to Party."

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by rsn48
Mrs. Mac
I'm just doing this at www.trainboard.com
Its easier to keep track of people and goals and to have a "party" atmosphere if we are meeting all in one forum

Uh, what's wrong with having the party here too? What is there that needs be to kept track of?

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea. But personally, I'm not interested in joining another forum. The Gauge is my forum, the Gauge is where we are, and I'm doing my layout building and partying right here.

:D Val

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by brakie
Gee Rick,Thanks for the invite but my layout is finish except for adding some mini scenes here,there and yond..BTW I drink Diet Pepsi and munch on peanuts.:D

Wow...I didn't think it was actually possible for a layout to be finished. What do you do when you're running your trains?? ;)

By the way, Rick....I'm in. I think you already knew that though. ;)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Hoss,What I failed to mention my layout is only 2' x 11'6".. It is the Jackson,Ohio yard of my C&HV.. Now it can also be use as a generic C&O yard..I just switch cars in the yard and make up outbound trains by using a switch list or waybills..I can also switch out inbound trains by switch lists and waybills.

Here is my layout plan..

Attachments

• c_hv jackson yard-1980v2.jpg
    c_hv jackson yard-1980v2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 159

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by spitfire

Uh, what's wrong with having the party here too? What is there that needs be to kept track of?

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea. But personally, I'm not interested in joining another forum. The Gauge is my forum, the Gauge is where we are, and I'm doing my layout building and partying right here.

Rick - I'm going to have to agree with Spitfire...... I have neither the time nor energy to keep up with another board - (I'm actually a member of Trainboard)

This thread has taken a life of it's own IMHO, Lets leave it be. Whoever wants to post here can :)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Cool Mikey

1. Layout Description: Point to point with switching at one end and a yard at the other.
I've been building this is sections, think of it as an inverted |_| shape. Section 1 track is layed and wired, ballasting is half done. Section 2 benchwork is made but I'll be moving that to section 3 and re-building section 2 longer and with an angle. Numerous buildings are completed and waiting to go on the layout.

Things to accomplish in the next 5 weeks: Finish scenery on section 1, including track painting, benchwork for new section 2, complete track to end of layout,

2. This week I plan to finish all ground cover for section 1. It's an industrial area and will a mix of pavement and weeds.

3. I will post updates once a week.

4. I promise not to fudge my responses. Otherwise, where's the incentive?

Val

edit: below is a shot of the area I'll be working on this week.

Attachments

• week1.jpg
    week1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 147
C

Catt

Ok so let's have an official Gauge layout party.Since there are many scalers here this forum looks like the best spot.

What say ye Mikey? :D Make it a sticky so it stays up top.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
The spirit of the layout party is just that, its a party and the more the merrier. That's why I invite people from different forums. Right now it is something special that no one is doing. If every forum hosts layout parties at any given time, then it the "specialness" of it gets watered down. When I threw the first couple, some requested that I did more in a year. I figured part of what made it fun was that it only happened occasionally.

The point of the party was to have a lot of activity in one area, where people are feeding off the energy of those around them involved in the "party." Also there are more people to ask questions, offer support and provide advise.

Personally I would rather have one party with 30 participants than three parties with 10 participants at different forums.

What I am doing in this party is making a list of those commitments made then posting the total list at the end of each week. Hence the ease of having the party in one location.

If you want to have a party here that is your prerogative, but now you understand my reasoning. No matter which forum I hosted it at, it would be the wrong forum for some. The last two parties I advertised, I received angry emails from forumers from different sites questioning my "brazen" advertising for the layout party. I just ignored the emails.

For me, I spend a couple of hours getting ready for the party. I write up what I have to, gather the links, go to various forums and advertise it. Then as people arrive, I act as host. At the trainboard site you will find I have the most posts in that thread. If some one has a question that I can answer I do, for example some one was asking for a link to a net primer for hand laying track.

Most days, but not all, I will average an hour responding to posts and searching for links to answer questions, or post a question in another forum, such as I did yesterday for the net primer I mentioned above.

I also generously provide all the pop and chips I can drink and eat...lol.:thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Rick

I hope I haven't offended you with my suggestion we have a layout party here at the Gauge, because I think your idea is a really great one and I for one am certainly in need of a kick in the - uh, some motivation! I don't think your post was "brazenly advertising" another forum. Invites to other forums and things of interest going on there are just that - invitations. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Unfortunately, I just don't have time to join another forum and get to know the people there. Which is why I hope we can use your idea here. Like I said it's a great one, and I would really like to participate.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Well Val, you would know at least 2 of us over there.Although i do spend more time here,much more ;)
I will say this, i got to see the tail end of the last party Rick threw.There wer several modelers that accomplished an immense amount of work over that 6 weeks and had alot of fun doing it.
Rick throws a most excellant Party!!
Now Rick, Share them Chips this time would ya :D

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
No offence taken, I just wanted to be clear why I do it in one forum. Its actually a bit of work for me, as I run the party, then have to meet my own goals.

Originally I didn't know it would take off like it has, but for me it worked wonders. This isn't 100% true, but about 75% true. I usually accomplish more in my two parties a year on my layout, then the rest of the year. This past year wasn't quite true, I laid about 1/3 of all my track before my son came home from cadet camp. He was of the conviction I would never lay the track so I wanted a nice surprise upon his return.

The piece I am working on now is the one area I have been dreading- my nolix area. Since there are no "standard" nolix's, I have to come up with my own scheme. So hopefully that is what I will have somewhat constructed by the end of the pary.

Right now the room (which once was a study) is trashed with Xmas decorations to go back in their storage boxs for the year.