working orrery in paper.

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by jleslie48, Feb 9, 2005.

1. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

2. jmueller

jmueller Member

fabulous work. I'm flattered...

3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

That blue sphere sure looks good. And VERY nice animation, too! Thanks for taking the trouble, and for sharing the result of it. - L.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

the blue shere is an earth marble from:

once I found that, I knew I had to finish the project. I was looking around for
    small earth globes, mostly of the pencil sharpener type, when I surfed in on
    the marbles.

the orrery is also designed so it can be taken apart to show the inner workings.

also Jan,

did you get the pictures of the White Knight build I did? I took a lot of
    WIP pics. Your model of White Kight was so spectacular I had to make it in the middle of the orrery.
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Oh, and how I, too, wanted a marble just like that, just to play around with.

Got to the site, found the marble for a reasonable 4.75 dollars and filled in everything (the usual rigmarole), until the last step - confirmation of order - where I found out that the postage was 34 dollars (and no options).

End of story. No marble for me. Alas.

6. cardfan

cardfan Member

Look down the list for Earth Marbles. They are about 3.50 and there are lots of different versions. There is even a Mars marble. Very cool.
  7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I know, I know - but the freight is still 34 dollars and no options. - L.
  8. cardfan

cardfan Member

For a marble?! Dang. I need to be in the shipping business. And we must have started something. The site has been updated in the last hour, at least I think it has. There is now a complete nine planet set.
  9. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

you might want to drop these guys an email. they have a big disclaimer that if shipping is more than $9, give them a call; I suspect they are having
    trouble with their software that generates quotes on shipping.

I inquired about the 9 planets (I saw it a few months ago) and got back a letter within hours saying they were going to put the 9 planet marbles back up. My point is they are very responsive to emails, and I'd bet they would just "put one in an envelope" and mail it if they realized how ridiculous $34 for a $4 item is. I mean its a marble for pete's sake, just tape it to the inside of the global priority mailer...
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

oh , I also did a yahoo search for "earth marble" there are few more vendors out there as well.
  11. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Right, and I should say that the Rainbow Marble people got back to me, since I snapped an email at them. They said exactly that "if the postage is more than 9 dollars you're paying too much". (I missed that sign; only saw the one telling me "the only option open to you is...", which turned out to be the ridiculous 34 dollars.)

They now say that the correct postage is somewhere between 5 and 6 dollars airmail letter, which is more reasonable. I might even get back in there, now that I registered and all.

Main thing - it was good of them to get back to me, and good of them to make themselves available to direct communication by email - not always the rule on the internet!

So - let no shadow fall on the Rainbow Marble company, but watch their ordering software; write to them personally and you'll probably get the best possible deal.

12. jmueller

jmueller Member

Hi Jon,
    yep, got your pictures. Fabulous work you did there.
    Check my sig for upcoming design :)