working on my first module

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by justind, Jan 7, 2002.

  1. justind

    justind Member

    Here are some pics of my first try at model railroading.

    Attached Files:

  2. justind

    justind Member

    here's another

    View from a slightly different angle:

    Attached Files:

  3. justind

    justind Member

    From a different angle and a little more work done:

    Attached Files:

  4. justind

    justind Member


    The finished product...well, not finished, but a lot further along than before...

    Attached Files:

  5. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

    Thanks for sharing your efforts with us Justin. It's fun to reach the point in the last photo when everything starts coming together.
    What material are you using to create your landscape?
    Is the mine a kit or are you scratcbuilding it?
  6. justind

    justind Member

    The mine is model power, the basic scenery shell is plaster-cloth over cardboard and then ground foam, lichen and fine ballast for sand, medium coal ballast for the track (which doesn't carry power yet...needs a lot of help). But it was a first effort, something for fun. Oh, the detail work on the landscape is Sculptamold.
  7. shamus

    shamus Registered Member

    Hi Justin,
    Looking GOOD friend, what a relief when your first loco runs around the loop without stopping eh.
    Now you have some scenery, the sky is the limit as to what you can accomplish when you get your brain into gear.

    Keep it up.

  8. Drew1125

    Drew1125 Active Member

    Looks like you're off to a good start, Justin!
    Are you wiring your track before you do your scenery? (that's the best approach)
    Is this a small module you're working on? I think that's a great idea...I wish I had started out that way! :rolleyes:
    Keep the pics coming, & keep us posted on your progress!
  9. Woodie

    Woodie Active Member

    BBBRRRRRR........ A snow scene!! hehehehe
  10. justind

    justind Member

    Actually Charlie, the track was Life-Likes Power-Loc. It isn't really intended to be used as I did, but it was all I had at the moment. I painted the rails and ties after it was already glued to the board, and may have accidentally allowed the paint to get onto the little contacts between track sections. If that didn't do it, the glue from ballasting probably did (This track was definatly not intended to be ballasted :D ). But I haven't cleaned the rails yet, so who knows, they may actually carry power yet, though it is unlikely.
    The bare white plaster (snow scene) was later covered completely with Sand colored Arcylic paint and then sprayed down w/water and India Ink (came out a sort of green color, as can be seen in the last picture). Then I laid ground-foam grass on the left side, and sand ballast on the right side by the building and over to the mine (across the overgrown section of track). Still a lot of work to do on it, but it was a good (cheap) learning experience and a lot of fun. Can't wait for the day when I can actually find space for a layout. (Thinking I may purchase one of the built-up N-scale layouts, track and train set, though everything I own is in HO scale, and that is what I prefer :( )

Share This Page