Working on getting the site back up

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Peter T Davis, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Howdy everyone.

First, please accept our apologies for Card Models being down for so long. A couple days ago, our old host PowWeb decided that they should disable We don't know why. They accused of spamming. I know nobody associated with me has ever spammed, and I doubt any of the members here have. It's possible a hacker got in the site and use to spam, but we have no evidence of that, just PowWeb's accusations.

So, we're moved to a new host. Along the way, we'll be upgrading to vBulletin. It will take a bit to import all the old data into the new host and new software, but we will not give up until it's accomplished.

Again, I'm sorry this happened, and am working to get it back up as soon as possible. Thanks especially to Sumesh who's doing the bulk of the work on the importing of the old data.

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Thanks for the work

that is wierd about the spamming, but not surprising has been hacked before, and even had members deleted

so the spamming accusation is no surprise to me

btw, nice to meet you Peter

3. Peter T Davis

Thanks Rick, the spamming thing was a big surprise to me. You won't meet anyone more anti-spam than I. Upgrading the site from phpBB to vBulletin will go a long way to keep the hackers out though.
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Guys!

Just got the email from Peter and registered to this new site. Thanks, Peter, for getting this going again.

Just curious, how different will the new forum be to the old format...particularly, will there be the same thread set up as before where we can post updates on our projects, post build threads, or does the new host and software limit how we participate? Just wondering how close to the old forum this new one will be, I suppose is the short version of my question. :)

Thanks again for all the hard work in getting something back up for us!

5. Peter T Davis

It will be almost identical to what you're used to. In fact, only the old hats will be able to tell the difference. You'll see minor differences in the appearance (buttons, icons, and such), but the function will be pretty much the same. There are some additional features that you'll notice, but the major improvements are from the administration point of view. Generally, vBulletin sites don't get hacked (famous last words, lol).
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I hope not too different, maybe the import will go well, and we can resume where we left off

i am all for keeping the hackers out

i just felt powerless against it, plus combating spam and hackers is outside of my bag of tricks

Lets see what the new week brings us

7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Peter - Thank you! Thanks for looking out for and keeping this great site going.

Sumesh - Thanks for all your assistance also!

To everyone - We're baaaack! And so am I 8v) I shall soon again be enjoying multiple posting regarding card modeling whilst I enjoy my morning mug of coffee.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow........Are you sure we can't blame this on GW??? Everything else that has happen lately sure has. :mad:
    Sorry to hear of the problems, recovery-on-the-fly is a hard thing to accomplish, and to have this much done in this short of a time frame is really nothing short of amazing. I too would like to extent a Hardy Thank You to all who have done this very hard work! :)

I too like Mindagas hope everything can be recovered. If any of us can help please ask.

Thanks for the work!

9. Peter T Davis

Nope, nothing political, nothing hurricane related. ;)

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

:mad: I saw that John! lol

OH........the "other" GEEDUBBYA (GW).

anyway glad to see its coming along as good as it is. Will there still be a gallery?

Greg aka GW
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

One of the outstanding features of the old site, and some others, was the home page which made it ever so easy to keep up with the many new topics and new posts, along with the picture of the week, and other features such as tracking the birthdays of the members, avatars, etc...will that be available again or does this new bulletin format not allow such things?

Actually, I'm just real glad Pete, Rick, et al., are spending their time getting this back together in whatever format it ends up being...although I miss the posts I'm sure in time they will return.

Guess we'll all just have to wait and see what we have when all is said and done.

Thanks again, guys, at least we have someplace we can all meet again. :) Ouch, looks like there is a glitch with some of the Smilies... :?

12. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hi guys,

I can't find old topics in "aircraft" directory. For example I can't find a topic of my SR-71. Maybe I don't navigate in this new forum design well, so please help me.

And why I cant post a smilie with one eye closed (something like this ;-), but it is ;) ). When I post it, I get a red cross...

Thanks. Good luck!
  13. rickstef

rickstef Guest

they are there

at the bottom of every thread/section there is a bar/box that says Display options.
    all you need to do, is click on the drop down that says show posts

also, you can modify this in the options panel in your user control panel(user cp)

14. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Oh great. So the smilies with nose made of "-" is the new brand in this forum and smilies without noses doesn't work anymore:-D
  15. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hi again,

I love this desing (the signature is unlimited so I can write it with colors and links!!!), but I still can't find my SR-71. As in "News" directory there are pages listed in the upper right corner (pages: 1,2,3..), while in "Aircraft" directory I can't find those page numbers..

That's all. Good luck! ;-)
  16. rickstef

rickstef Guest

17. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Thanks Rick for link. It works for me, but I think, that something strange is with my computer, because I see only first page from aircraft directory. Lets say aircraft directory has 250 topics and is divided into 7 pages, but I see only the first one (the most recent topics)... :-? Also in aircraft directory is written, that there are only 12 topics..
    While "News" directory works fine for me. I see all pages.

I hope this problem will solve automaticaly. Thanks and good luck! ;-)
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

So it was a case of "Hey Man, Get Off My Server!"...,

I've been shopping for a server for business interests and will not do Powweb..,
    Peter, any recommendations?

P.S. Sorry if it's off subject but I do need a a "good, reliable site that's within my budgetary confines"...,
  19. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Found you all again...

Hello, guys - thought I'd never find you again, but here you are. Thank you Peter - nice to meet you - and anybody else involved in getting this site back in business. A couple of things regarding getting everybody back in:

1) I didn't know what happened, and got no email. Found you again by chance, since the old bookmark wasn't pointed at "" but the old "php" etc. Just tried "" on an off-chance.

2) Tried looking at for any news several times during the last week. Might be a good idea to post news there when anything like this happens. Has worked once before.

3) The new software takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Looks very good.

4) Peter, all photos posted as attachments seem to be gone from threads. I realize it's a lot of work getting them back if it has to be done manually. Any suggestions; e.g. should I get them back myself by linking to an off-site server, or what is the recommendation?

Best regards to all, congratulations, and wish you all the best for the future.

20. possm_23

possm_23 Guest

I also was wondering if geedubbya was at fault...being from arkansas has that glad its back...thanks to whoever...